My sister in law says Shellac peels straight off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R D Beauty

Reaction score
My sister in law says that she has had shellac and it peels straight off (not done by me.) As I am looking into investing in shellac or Gelish maybe both I wondered if this is due to having oily nail plates or could it be the way it's been applied? Would it be worth getting both Shellac and Gelish?

I dont use Shellac I use Gelish but I wouldnt be put off trying Shellac because it peels off your sister-in-law.

Some people it will last the full time, others not so long, it could be due to the condition of the nails or what they do with them, as in not sticking to the aftercare advice. It could also be down to the application.

I love Gelish, its a great product, but from what Ive seen on here Shellac is a great product too, try them both for yourself and see what you think.

Hi,
Properly applied Shellac does not just peel off..........although it can be picked off with a bit of effort.
I'd say that it has been applied too thickly or not cured properly in the first place - technician error, not the product to blame.
I have also used Gelish, but it takes about 10 minutes longer to soak off and I very much prefer the colours of Shellac.

Hi,
Properly applied Shellac does not just peel off..........although it can be picked off with a bit of effort.
I'd say that it has been applied too thickly or not cured properly in the first place - technician error, not the product to blame.
I have also used Gelish, but it takes about 10 minutes longer to soak off and I very much prefer the colours of Shellac.

Even the best applied shellac can just peel off. It only happens to one of my ladies but it definitely happens. She is one of the exceptions to the rule. No system works the same for everyone

Had a client come in yesterday from another nail spa. Her Shellac DID peel straight off in solid sheets. She brought several in with her.

I asked her to go over their entire process start to finish. The nail tech had soaked her hands for the manicure, applied solar oil and done a full hand massage with lotion before applying her Shellac. Even though the tech wiped the nail plate with Acetone, I would imagine with all the moisture, oil and lotion on her nail plate, the Shellac just couldn't adhere.

Don't be out off. Gelish is one of my biggest sellers if not the biggest! Just a few simple rules to remember and you'll be well on your way!

All you girls looking to try shellac before you buy. I would advise you to contact a CND education ambassador near you and get the PROPER shellac. Alot of salons are cutting corners and you won't get a proper idea of it.

Don't just go by what you hear. As people say they had shellac and it's not!

You can find your nearest EA by contacting s2.

Or even a reputable fellow geek! Either one would be a good move.

Im in the same boat. I want to get a gel polish but have heard it doesnt last... i think i might buy just one or two and test it out on myself to get my own opinion.

Are there any salons near you that you can go and have it applied, or beauty shows to test them out?

The only thing with testing them out on yourself is its going to be quite costly testing out a couple of systems as you will need to purchase the whole system to get the results you will require.

Had a client come in yesterday from another nail spa. Her Shellac DID peel straight off in solid sheets. She brought several in with her.

I asked her to go over their entire process start to finish. The nail tech had soaked her hands for the manicure, applied solar oil and done a full hand massage with lotion before applying her Shellac. Even though the tech wiped the nail plate with Acetone, I would imagine with all the moisture, oil and lotion on her nail plate, the Shellac just couldn't adhere.

Surely the Shellac should have been applied before the soak and massage? The nail plate will have been softened by this process if not and that may have been where the problem lies x

Surely the Shellac should have been applied before the soak and massage? The nail plate will have been softened by this process if not and that may have been where the problem lies x

Yes 100%.

Does anybody know if Gelish is better for people for oily nail plates?Due to the difference in product and the fact that with Gelish you dont have to etch the nail plate but you can. :)

I am very inexperienced and have recently bought Gelish and the durability is fantastic - will last up to 3 weeks on clients. It is brilliant and easy to apply.

xx

I have had one client that nothing stays on. Even acrylic doesn't last. We tried 3 different gel systems. It has to be a problem with her, either her system or medications.

Latest posts

Back