My son hates his curly hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there

Saw the thread about ginger hair, well my son hates his curly hair.
He gets called names and all sorts at school, everyday he goes on about his hair.

He's trying to grow it to hide his big nose (his words, and his so called friends at school, so not only is it his hair an issue but his nose is an issue!). Drives me mad.

I like his hair when it has biggish curls but of course he doesn't, but at the side it's very curly. My friend who is a hairdresser says it's his hormones, but his dad's hair was like this when he was young.

As it's not long enough to completely weigh down the curls yet and it tends to grow bushy. He tries blasting it with the hair dryer, dragging it down with a brush, tried his sister's GHDs, tried all sorts of gels etc but if he manages to straighten it (looks frizzy to me) it soon curls up.

His hair is quite dry and coarse and loads of it. Would a relaxer work? Or any other suggestions only school is another few weeks away?

Deb379

I had this as a teenager putting a hair serum/oil on the tips of dry hair seemed to tame it a bit. He needs to embrace what he has got as there is no point in dwelling on what we don't like about ourselves, I wish I could have not worried so much about my appearance as a child (spotty, braces and frizzy hair) as it's what's inside that counts. Maybe if you could help him work on his general self esteem by focusing on what he is good at and helping him develop a hobby he would not worry about it so much. I'm sure you do this anyway though. :hug: I know it seems cruel but he just needs to get over it and realise not everyone will be looking at him or his hair, once I got my head round this I felt better.

The hair drier and straighteners offer a short term solution but will just be making the problem worse. Get him a really nice shampoo and conditioner for dry/frizzy hair and a hair serum. I'm sure a hair geek can recommend a good hair treatment mask. Otherwise just keeping it short may be the solution. x

Years ago I used to perm a clients hair straight. It was very wavy rather than tight curls but I had good results.She was pleased so that was the main thing.I would try a strand test first tho'. Coarse hair could look worse though, maybe a frizz ease product would be best just to soften the curls. Obviously the best thing is to work with what you've got, I love curly hair and I cant be alone.
Amanda

My son and i have mad curly hair so I would recommend a very light relaxent just to tame the curl slightly. then we use a clynol smoothing shampoo and conditioner. blow dry the hair as straight as you can, then i got the small GHD irons and strighten section by section finish with a serum.my sons hair is getting better and better as its growing, hes accepted he has to spend time on it ,but wont have it curly at any price thats kids 4 you! also ive noticed one of the boys on McFly has grown his and let the curls come in try pointing thids out? hope this helpspx

how old is ur son? im 23 and have only recently accepted the big curls i have, AND GUESS WHAT haha i have a large beak of a nose too. . when i was young i resorted to VERY short hair and gel. . . but lookin back it was horrid. . i have thick thick hair too, andf i jus ghd it and blast it dry after smoothing shampoos. . a chemical str8n is good for this kind of cases if done properly. . it stays str8 untill it grows out. . it quite drastic tho if it just a phase. . and remembber if his hair is quite long when its str8, if its too flat this too can draw attention to a nose that lets just say gives character. . i hjave to be very careful how i wear my hair as it can sometiomes draw attention to my sharp features. . i hope he can learn to accept what he has in time. . cos it is better to have curly hair and str8n it and be able to wear it curly to. . i wud be lost if i had mines perma-str8nd. . .

Hi there

Thanks for all your replies, he's 14.

I've told him that a relaxer could make his hair worse because of the type of hair he has.

I've also told him he has to accept the way he is, but that's kids I guess. Roll on when he leaves school.

Deb379

Deb379

Hi there

Saw the thread about ginger hair, well my son hates his curly hair.
He gets called names and all sorts at school, everyday he goes on about his hair.

He's trying to grow it to hide his big nose (his words, and his so called friends at school, so not only is it his hair an issue but his nose is an issue!). Drives me mad.

I like his hair when it has biggish curls but of course he doesn't, but at the side it's very curly. My friend who is a hairdresser says it's his hormones, but his dad's hair was like this when he was young.

As it's not long enough to completely weigh down the curls yet and it tends to grow bushy. He tries blasting it with the hair dryer, dragging it down with a brush, tried his sister's GHDs, tried all sorts of gels etc but if he manages to straighten it (looks frizzy to me) it soon curls up.

His hair is quite dry and coarse and loads of it. Would a relaxer work? Or any other suggestions only school is another few weeks away?

Deb379

Try putting a serum on it when its damp,i have curly hair and i straightn it everyday !! . Kids are soooo mean now and it never use to bother kids about their faults (as they see it). In summer it will be hard but my step-son has curly hair and it may seem mad but tell him to wear a hat.

When he drys it , to dry it straight,that will help with the straightners.

Hi
How come nobody has told this poor lad about mens hair straighteners?
They will straighten his hair in no time and leave it sleek too. With an hour or so practicing he will be an expert! You would be amazed if you knew how many guys now use straighteners :eek:
PM me if you want to know the best brands. Cant mention them here. Alternatively just do a Google search for "mens hair straighteners"

Latest posts

Back