My Website's gone live!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ur site looks fab well done for doing it urself it takes so long doesn't it- but worth it in the end! Only thing I was gonna say is u r dedicated/mad working til 10pm lol xx

I think ur site looks fab well done for doing it urself it takes so long doesn't it- but worth it in the end! Only thing I was gonna say is u r dedicated/mad working til 10pm lol xx

Lol I know!! But because I can only do a few hours a day when my son's at school I thought I'd better make up for it and do longer evenings!! :) xx

Well done, I know it's hard having a little one and trying to juggle time. I personally like the white on black but appreciate that some might not, at the end of the day there will always be things that others would change about others work and I think as long as you are happy with it that is the main thing.

Try not to take the comments pesonally, at the end of the day eveyrone is entitled to their opinion and that is exactly what they have given you, and I believe that you will take from it what you think is the advice most suited to your self.

I wish you every success for the future my lovely and am sure your hard work dedication will pay off.

Missty25:D

Well done, I know it's hard having a little one and trying to juggle time. I personally like the white on black but appreciate that some might not, at the end of the day there will always be things that others would change about others work and I think as long as you are happy with it that is the main thing.

Try not to take the comments pesonally, at the end of the day eveyrone is entitled to their opinion and that is exactly what they have given you, and I believe that you will take from it what you think is the advice most suited to your self.

I wish you every success for the future my lovely and am sure your hard work dedication will pay off.

Missty25:D

Thank you very much :) xx

Just had to jump in here - I have done web design and all the points raised were valid, and not just being negative for the sake of it.
The site is good and no doubt you will get clients from it, but you asked people what they thought, and they gave their opinions and advice.
None of them were nasty about it. All of their points were valid.
You will at times have to deal with criticism from clients too - I would suggest learning to take it on the chin, count to ten and not react like you did.

Just had to jump in here - I have done web design and all the points raised were valid, and not just being negative for the sake of it.
The site is good and no doubt you will get clients from it, but you asked people what they thought, and they gave their opinions and advice.
You will at times have to deal with criticism from clients too - I would suggest learning to take it on the chin, count to ten and not react like you did.

Thank you for your opinion. But again, if you had read my comments also, I think I've explained enough about it now. I have a friend who is also a web designer and who will be helping me do some tweaking and adding when he has a moment, it is not finished :rolleyes: I was excited and proud at what I had achieved on my own when I have very little technical ability, I think the big cheesy grin smiley indicates that or I wouldn't have used it. I am perfectly capable of taking criticism, I shall say this one last time, there are ways in which to speak to people when giving your opinion. Just because certain members have more experience doesn't mean they have to be blunt or rude, in certain cases, when giving their opinion. I was reading a thread earlier where someone else had asked for feedback on their site. Members were less blunt and more polite and friendly in getting their critique across. That was all I was saying. I have been brought up very strictly when it comes to manners and I am teaching my son the same. No matter what your opinion, you can get it across nicely if you want to.

Absolutely agree with this.

You've had a lot of really good advice on this thread and although you may be sensitive and would wish to put things in a different way doesn't make the posters less sensitive than you.

Your comments to them may be viewed as being less than sensitive and quite defensive and negative.

But I am sure these girls do not take your comments in that way.

Putting your 'still-under-construction web-site' out there for positive criticism was a good idea. Maybe you could reconsider how you initially viewed the posts you don't like and view them with a business eye ... you are going to need that to stay in business.

Remember the emperor's new clothes ... everyone saying how lovely they were when he had no clothes on?

If you want the best web site you can have then listen to the advice.

The geeks who gave you the best advice did so to help you have a quality site to put out to the public.

If you want a web site that you and your friends like then ignore the advice given.

You have the choice.

Don't feel your feathers have been ruffled when they really haven't my lovely.

Can we all be friends again?

Jacqui xx

Absolutely agree with this.

You've had a lot of really good advice on this thread and although you may be sensitive and would wish to put things in a different way doesn't make the posters less sensitive than you.

Your comments to them may be viewed as being less than sensitive and quite defensive and negative.

But I am sure these girls do not take your comments in that way.

Putting your 'still-under-construction web-site' out there for positive criticism was a good idea. Maybe you could reconsider how you initially viewed the posts you don't like and view them with a business eye ... you are going to need that to stay in business.

Remember the emperor's new clothes ... everyone saying how lovely they were when he had no clothes on?

If you want the best web site you can have then listen to the advice.

The geeks who gave you the best advice did so to help you have a quality site to put out to the public.

If you want a web site that you and your friends like then ignore the advice given.

You have the choice.

Don't feel your feathers have been ruffled when they really haven't my lovely.

Can we all be friends again?

Jacqui xx

Well written, as always Jacqui.

X

Ps is it through vista?? I'm guessing it is and like u said before it's very limited as to what you can change ie font size etc x will people be phoning you to arrange an appointment? As then u can say at what time they should arrive etc as I really don't think people sit and read through that but I might be wrong x

Really agree with everything you have said. I think it looks fine and as long as it brings clients in that's all you can ask for:hug:
I don't think other comments have been negative just very honest:Love: maybe a little too honest:eek: XX

Here are my thoughts on your website;
I think the text is a bit small in places and some people may struggle to read it.
On the prices page I think it kinda merges into one and it's difficult to differentiate the headings and descriptions. Maybe you could make the treatment headings bigger or change the colour of the headings.
I also agree that there is too much personal information.
I struggled to read the writing beneath your salon name.
I think your opening hours, address and phone number should be on your home page so that clients can see them straight away.
At present your opening hours are on your 'about me' page and I think clients wouldn't think to look there.
I think you need to look at it from a new clients point of view and how easy the site is to navigate and find the information they want.
Seeing as you've only spent 2 days doing it then it's not bad.
Obviously it's under construction and needs some tweaks but it's a start and you've had some good feedback to help you along.

I think you site is looking good for your first go.

Take this from someone who posted their just done first website on here, i received alot of feedback about it, some kind of similar to what's posted here, at first i felt a bit crushed by the comments but when i realised i had to do so much more to my site and what everyone picked out what was wrong with it i was so thankful!

It may seem some people are coming across as negative, but honestly, any feedback is great feedback, if it wasn't for the people on here my website would still be all over the place!

HTH

Ladies their is no need for all this... Plankton asked for an opinion, you gave her your opinions, some people are more sensitive to how people give opinions and the language they use. All working in this industry you should all realise that we are all different and we have to adapt our language skills to suit everyone. She is starting a new business from home herself, thts an emotional time where your feelings/nerves run high, you are slightly more sensitive because that's her baby at the moment and she wants it to b perfect.
Their is no need for all the Sourness from anyone. The majority of women on here stick together, help, encourage one another.
They do not conform to the stereotypical bitchy beauty tech/ nail tech/ hairdresser!

Planky the site is fab, I know what u mean when you are stuck to a template... I like that you are pushing the three treatments in particular. I also like that you have put something personal and show that your a
Mother, I think women are different after children, and only in a positive way. Make reference to the garden oasis maybe so people reading it don't expect you to have a three yr old to watch as well as a treatment.

The only thing I struggled to read was the writing thts curly under your heading at the top, that mayb cause I'm on an iPhone though.
I love black and White. It's classy.

Is their no template for greens as in a previous topic you said you would be going for earthy garden like salon colours? Just a thought.

Well done, did you do it yourself or bribe someone else?? Xxx

My phone changes PLANKY to plankton ohemgee!!!! Xx

Their is no need for all the Sourness from anyone.

I have seen no sourness.
What I have seen is busy professional people taking time out of their day to look at a website. They have left feedback as to what can be improved so that the OP could get the best out of her website.
They didn't have to do that, they chose to!

Ladies their is no need for all this... Plankton asked for an opinion, you gave her your opinions, some people are more sensitive to how people give opinions and the language they use. All working in this industry you should all realise that we are all different and we have to adapt our language skills to suit everyone. She is starting a new business from home herself, thts an emotional time where your feelings/nerves run high, you are slightly more sensitive because that's her baby at the moment and she wants it to b perfect.
Their is no need for all the Sourness from anyone. The majority of women on here stick together, help, encourage one another.
They do not conform to the stereotypical bitchy beauty tech/ nail tech/ hairdresser!

Planky the site is fab, I know what u mean when you are stuck to a template... I like that you are pushing the three treatments in particular. I also like that you have put something personal and show that your a
Mother, I think women are different after children, and only in a positive way. Make reference to the garden oasis maybe so people reading it don't expect you to have a three yr old to watch as well as a treatment.

The only thing I struggled to read was the writing thts curly under your heading at the top, that mayb cause I'm on an iPhone though.

Is their no template for greens as in a previous topic you said you would be going for earthy garden like salon colours? Just a thought.

Thank you for your post, very supportive and is exactly how I'm feeling. I did the site myself but I have a friend who is a web designer who will be helping me complete it. As I said, I was excited at what I had achieved by myself so far, especially as I have no technical ability when it comes to this sort of thing, so wanted to show to all.

To Angelina and all members who have commented, I am genuinely grateful for all feedback given as I have previously said throughout this thread. I am well aware that people are giving their knowledge and advice for free but again, all I was saying is that there are ways to speak to people. To be told how I should or shouldn't react and that I need to get used to it when dealing with clients, is to me, a comment that does not need to be made. Not one of you knows me personally or professionally, so therefore cannot comment on how I am with clients. My previous background until I decided to go into the beauty industry was managing Children's Day nurseries for 15 years. My last nursery was a 65 place with 22 staff. I am more than capable of dealing with difficult customers and holding a professional head at all times and don't need to be told how to conduct myself.

Whilst some of you are quick to tell me how I should or shouldn't be reacting, very few of you seem to understand or acknowledge my POV when it comes to how critique is delivered. I have no knowledge of web design and felt very proud at what I had accomplished. Some of the feedback is indeed very helpful and points made that I will be using. But some of the feedback I think is just personal preference rather than critique that is helpful and is why it felt negative for the sake of it.
One of the posters that commented on my personal information and that it shouldn't be there, has herself, mentioned her daughter and personal information on her site, so why is it different for me? These sorts of things are personal preference and no hard and fast rule as to whether it should be on there or not. I am proud to be a Mother (most of the time :D ) and I am excited about my new venture, I see nothing wrong in sharing that.
Points about the size of the writing for example, are valid ones and I shall be amending that when I get the opportunity. This is all extremely daunting, scary, as well as exciting and I am trying to do all this whilst looking after my 4 year old son (and husband!!), get the building preparations done, source and buying equipment, training and I'm just struggling to get time, so the site is not completed and was the best I could do for just now. I just felt that at least there was "something" out there for people to get an idea about my salon at least.

Thank you once again for ALL feedback, I shall take and use advice that was helpful and I think now can we leave it there? :wink2: :hug:

Actually its this kind of post that turns things sour not the feedback and positive criticism posts.

There has been no sourness or bitchiness on this thread from the posters who have tried to help.

If I wanted to be, I could be offended by this:

The majority of women on here stick together, help, encourage one another.

and assume an inference that the posters on this thread are other than helpful and encouraging.

But you have to behave like a fully rounded adult whilst operating on this site and not go looking for insults and sourness when it does not exist.

There are loads of horrid vile posts on this site ... this is not one of them.

The actual feedback you provided to Planky is good and fits in line with pretty much what every one else has so far said.

I myself wrote a post that was supposed to smooth things over and allow everyone to be freinds again, so really your post has just started it all off again.

Its not necessary. And its a Sunday lol

Peace, respect and love

Jacqui xx

Have you done any research on basic design guidelines for websites?
Three Basic Web Design Guidelines | Website Designing - Guides and Articles
Is one place to start.
I'm another one who thinks there's too much personal info. My clients would be able to tell you the name of my cat, my husband, where I went on holiday, what my favourite food is and even my politics, but it's taken nearly 4 years to develop that relationship with them and I wouldn't dream of disclosing it on my professional website.
When I go to a new salon I want to be the centre of their universe at that moment. I don't want to be worried that their child is going to be popping up, or that my appointment could get cancelled because he's ill. When I've built up a relationship with the salon I might very well want to know how he's doing, but not at the outset.
You could perhaps rephrase it? Something along the lines of "after taking time out to raise a family". Saying that you "fell pregnant" just doesn't sound professional, and you're trying to offer professional service, aren't you?
And I do have to ask you to reconsider the colour scheme. It's well documented that white on black is hellishly difficult to read.
Website design is hard, that's why people employ highly paid designers to do it!

One of the posters that commented on my personal information and that it shouldn't be there, has herself, mentioned her daughter and personal information on her site, so why is it different for me? :

I will take that as speaking of me and YES I have mentioned my daughter and YES it IS totally relevant to my doing nails!

at the age of 2 in a horrific accident she had her finger crushed mangled and severed !!! in a bike chain ... It was not a simple re attachment it took a hell of alot of operations , platic surgery dressings and all the rest
Amazingly Her finger nail WAS re attached but is clearly odd as she LOST a distal phalange where her nail would normally sit But they
Re-planted her nail and to my shock it worked !!!
THIS is what sparked my interest in nails !

This is NOT me saying in a school leaver type job reference !

In 200? I studied blah blah

Then 200?I got pregnant and stayed home with my baby

Most clients will be lady's & most clients will be mums it dose not mean from a professional / client side they will read your profile and say aaaw she is a mummy I'm off to her!

They don't give a poo!!! They want there nails, tan or what ever done not to know from your web site you got pregnant! What's that got to do with there French manicure?

Your web site is your advert ! It is your first impression to sell your treatments and brand / products !
It's a place to talk about your education and what you have worked with , KEY WORDS!!!

You go on about how to speak to people in posts and how to give YOU feed back .... Well when your clients nails lift or tan turns streaky will you tell them how to speak to you???
Your NOT in a nursery setting now!! LOL!

Also Making a website is NOT just about making it look nice !

There was a GOOD reason I said you wear missing your eye lash treatments from your menu but it's on your price list not only that I thought you had overlooked it!
But also
As GOOGLE rankings and search engines WILL pick up on metatags page names and menu names this is what helps you go up in the search engine results .... This is what helps local people find your site ,!!!!

But hey what would I know ? Whats my help worth?

I reallly wish I hadn't bothered to reply to you at all !

Last edited:
Mizzy don't be upset my lovely.

Your advice is always worth having, I always have a little read when I see your name pop up.

However, maybe Planky can now see that she is not the only one who is sensitive and can be upset.

Because now Planky, you have upset Mizzy.

If you believe that the language and choice of personal input you have put into your website is good then use it.

If you only want people to speak to you kindly then you will have a big shock coming to you when your clients are unhapy with a treatment (as Mizzy has pointed out).

Business is business and most clients could care less about your children or your life (that goes for all of us in business, not just you).

They are only concerned about themelves, how their nails are going to look, where they are going on their holidays etc.

A web site is the professional door way to your business and it sounds as if you were already 100% happy with what you have written and how it looks.

If you think what you have is professional then thank everyone for their input and just ignore the bits you don't like.

Its simple.

Jacqui

Come on now girls no need to fall out.. Sundays are meant to be relaxing x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back