Nail art on fake chips and UV Top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndiwong

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I like to do my own nails. So far I've been doing things my own way. The process I follow is probably problematic in the eyes of professionals, but its what I came up with considering my resources. I do nail art on fake nail chips. The main reason for this is because I find it easier to do fancier designs when the nails are not on my finger. I get inspirations for designs from Japanese Nail magazines. I would gladly upload scans of the magazines for anyone who's willing to help answer my questions :)

My process:
1. Apply one layer of OPI base coat on nail chips

2. Apply several coats of nail polish. Usually 2 layers of the same color. Sometimes I use little pieces of sponge to dab on the polish to create a gradient (a fade). Then often I use another layer of clear glittery polish.

3. Apply uv gel top coat, cure under a 36W UV lamp

4. Apply a thin layer of OPI top coat to adhere decorations

5. Apply things like rhinestones, tiny pearls, etc. (Recently I got 3D acrylic sculptures powders too, so I've been experimenting with that as well. So far I've only done simple shapes like hearts)

6. Apply another layer of OPI top coat

I realize that my order of doing things probably seem very out of place, but here are my reasons.

* I apply a layer of UV top coat over the base nail colors to give an "embedded" and shiny look. Glittery polishes tend to look dull after a little while with regular top coat.

* I was never sure whether I should do all the decorations first, or uv top coat first. But decorations are bumpy, so it seems to make sense to apply the uv top coat over base nail colors first

* I apply OPI top coat over the UV top coat so that the decorations can stick. I apply another layer of OPI top coat to seal them in

Doing things this way, I've ran into a lot of problems and here are my questions.

1. the UV top coat cracks easily. As I just bought the UV top coat (and lamp), I haven't been able to figure out why yet. Reading a few threads on the forums, it seems like it could be because I applied it too thick, the product is not very good, or UV top coat is just not meant to be applied over nail polish. What are your thoughts?

2. I've wondered about this when I first got my UV top coat and lamp, should I do EVERYTHING first and apply the UV top coat LAST? I use rhinestones a lot and I'm experimenting with 3D acrylic too, so the nail surface would be bumpy after these. But should the UV top coat conceal everything, even the bumpy decorations?

3. Right after the UV top coat is cured, it looks super shiny. But after I apply OPI top coat over it again, it doesnt seem to have the same UV gel-like shine anymore. Maybe its just my imagination, but does anyone else have experience with this?

4. I've worried that my UV top coat may be too thick. Would it help if I apply one thin layer, cure, and then another thin layer?

Sorry for the long post :o
I've considered maybe taking courses, but my current sitaution doesnt really allow it. I might in a few years. But these are the questions that I have now. Please bare with me.

Last edited:
I really hate to burst your bubble and you do sound to be having lots of fun,
but no true professional on here will give you advise on how to use the professional products until your current situation does allow you to take some professional training,
when you have taken some training in a few years as you yourself have said, then we will be very happy to help and advise,
hope you understand :hug:

Latest posts

Back