Nail biter wants extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellysam10

Reaction score
hi i am new vto this site have been doing nail extensions for nearly 2 yrs now?
i have a lady who is a severe nail biter, with hardly any nail to attatch an extension to i have tried using acylic ones that have a well area and ones that do not and cant seem to find ones that last, was thinking about trying to use free forms but not sure wether i should use acylic or gel, have done gel in training but felt they were not really strong and long lasting any help please would be greatly received?:rolleyes:

You could start with an acrylic overlay or you could customise the well of the tip.

Keep then really short just over the pad of the finger & explain that they may not last as long as there may not be enough contact area, I would also put a colour over they or use an opaque powder to hide any imperfections.

2 weekly infills & lots of solar oil

I always stress that this is working in progress & if they are happy to follow your advice then they will eventually have great enhancements (6-8 weeks) but I often find that this depends on how committed they are.

Usually on nail biter the reasons they do not last are:
Client picks/east them off.
Not enough product contact with natural nail.
Incorrect prep.
Extension too long for clients habits.
Extension not structured correctly to handle pressure of not much base to help attach too.

The problem with biters is, cause they have short stumpy bitten off nails, they want the instant long beautiful nail and it is our job as the professional to NOT let this happen. We must explain to them the how's and the why's and get them to understand that Rome was not built in a day and if they let you do what you need to do and they what they need to do, in a few weeks they will have nice looking nails, it just takes a bi tof time.

Using forms is a much better way to go with biters, this allows you to use all the nail plate available to you to adhere product too because tips are not used for strength at all, they are only a platform to build out on.
So when you apply your tip, then blend it, you are leaving next to no natural nail for product to adhere to.

I find the easiest way to use a form on a biter is to use the little tab from the back of the form. I cut it straight across and then stick it to the form and this fills in the skin but still allows me to apply the form correctly.

Make sure the extensions are kept super short for the first month and to use an opaque powder to extend the nail to give it balance and not look stubby.

thanks girls i am a bit new to this and it is really bugging me, any tips on do i apply a gel or acrylic form? sorry must seem really dumb? just want to get it right X

It would take half an hour of time at least to instruct you how to properly adhere a form and it is even more difficult to do it on a nail biter's nails.

My opinion is that You should attend a class and learn correctly, and not book people in for treatments that you do not know how to do. You might not care for that answer but that is my advice.

thank you mollie!! XX

geeg i am qualified and know what i am doing i just thought i would ask the other friendly professionals to see if they had any further advice i could use. i am sure i am not the only person who has banged their heada against a brick wall with a clients nails and i certainly wont be the last. i have done her nails today and they worked and looked fab. thanks to the other ladies for their helpful tips
:wink2:

Good on you for sticking in there :) x

Latest posts

Back