Nail cane experts - help required please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacquieC

Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy so bear with me please. :green: I have also posted this question on other sites so you may see this more than once if you're a forum nerd like me!

I live on a small island where nail art is very popular. However, things are a bit behind the times over here! All nail art is either hand painted or decals. I don't think anyone here uses even a spray gun.

The problem I have is that I want to introduce nail canes. I have posted another thread about slicing them but that's a whole other issue!

As it stands at the moment if the client wants a coloured nail with art, the nail is made up (most people use acrylic as opposed to get), buffed etc, nail base colour applied and then either hand painted or decal applied. Sometimes a top coat is added but not always. Coloured acrylic is very rarely used - therein being the problem.

Now if I want to use canes, I would have to:
make the nail up, buff, apply nail base colour and here comes the problem. Slices with no border are fine but do I need to add a top coat as everyone says cane cannot be used directly on top of polish? The main problem is slices with a transparent border.

These cannot be added directly to either varnish or a top coat layer as the border doesn't go transparent. So do I add an acrylic layer then top it all off with another of course? The main issue is that this means that the whole nail has to be removed to change the base coat colour. I really cannot see technicians going for that idea. Things don't change quickly round these parts!

Can anyone help?

nail art canes are designed more for embedding within the nail.
they may be mounted on top of the nail but the designs will be a lot less durable.

if you dont want to invest in a range of coloured powders can i suggest you buy some glitters and mix them into your current clear powders[ 1 part glitter to 3 parts powder] then you will have a range of acrylic background colours without a big outlay.

it really isnt going to take any longer to incorporate some colour into the nail than it does for polish application and drying time.the same applies when filing it off, it'll only take a few moments and the results will be much more attractive than polish.

when you apply, use it thinly and then apply your nail cane slice with a tiny bead of acrylic to hold it in place. finish the nail and build structure with clear or translucent pink acrylic. the design will be low down in the layers of acrylic and will be unaffected by your finish filing.

you can make things change in your area by setting the trend. you'll attract more clients if you can offer something other places dont. lead the way by wearing the design nails yourself and make up some samples of what is possible for your clients to see.

Latest posts

Back