Nail Geeks do you offer other treatments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole.B

Reaction score
For all you who are nail geeks first but do other treatments such as waxing, spray tan etc. Have you added these treatments because you enjoy doing them or to add extra income and draw in new clients when having quiet times with nail treatments.

I have just opened my Home Salon last week and its very quiet, done some advertising got a Aboard outside. So what to do while waiting, Rhi Handa ( nail trainer) and I are getting fed up of each other:lol: . Any advice warmly welcome..xx

For all you who are nail geeks first but do other treatments such as waxing, spray tan etc. Have you added these treatments because you enjoy doing them or to add extra income and draw in new clients when having quiet times with nail treatments.

I have just opened my Home Salon last week and its very quiet, done some advertising got a Aboard outside. So what to do while waiting, Rhi Handa ( nail trainer) and I are getting fed up of each other:lol: . Any advice warmly welcome..xx

The hardest thing about a home salon is getting the exposure you need to build a clientèle. You can't sit around and wait, you have to go out there and grab the bull by the horns and meet people and network and communicate with them to let them know where you are and what you offer ... word of mouth is good but slow you can't rely on it. I'm not sure extra services are the answer either as the problem is not what you are doing but lack of exposure and awareness that you are there.

What I DID WAS TO SEIZE EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO TALK TO WOMEN. I volunteered to talk to women's groups and do demonstrations -- this is easy as there are always groups wanting women to speak about what they do --- I left my cards everywhere I went .... did wedding fairs and local business fairs .... everything and anything where I could get exposure.

One of my best promotions of my business was to offer to do a full set for free for selected women in the public eye and to maintain them if I got bookings through their recommendation. I did a couple of check out girls in the local supermarkets (women were always commenting on their nails) and I did the owner of the local wedding shop and ladies dress shop (nice one). They displayed my cards in their shops and my work on their nails. I got tonnes of clients this way and tonnes of people talking about my work.

It ain't easy :) :hug: but it is what you have to do if you are serious about business and these few free ones keep you busy, give you good feed back and really only cost you your time and not much in product. Well worth it and allot cheaper than taking a class in another thing like tanning and then the expense of setting all that up. IMO

Ok I added waxing to my menu as its something I have always wanted to do and my clients would fit their treatments in with me around their waxing appointments so to me it was worth training in it as why would I send my clients to my competition iykwim :) plus they come back as hair grows back lol, as for spray tanning I have only just trained in this, again I did this because I have had a few requests as my ladies want everything under one roof so thought do it!! I love it!! I am soon adding semi permenant lash extensions, this is purely because not many salons near me offer it and I have been asked if I do them, also I think Id love it as its fiddly and I love anything fiddly :)

Yes I am hoping by doing these extra services will increase my income but at the same time dont want to lose my passion for nails.

hth
Sue x

Thank you geeg, you have given me food for thought and I think a action plan is in order..xx

Ok I added waxing to my menu as its something I have always wanted to do and my clients would fit their treatments in with me around their waxing appointments so to me it was worth training in it as why would I send my clients to my competition iykwim :) plus they come back as hair grows back lol, as for spray tanning I have only just trained in this, again I did this because I have had a few requests as my ladies want everything under one roof so thought do it!! I love it!! I am soon adding semi permenant lash extensions, this is purely because not many salons near me offer it and I have been asked if I do them, also I think Id love it as its fiddly and I love anything fiddly :)

Yes I am hoping by doing these extra services will increase my income but at the same time dont want to lose my passion for nails.

hth
Sue x
Thanks Sue, thats the thing if you really enjoy doing it and not just for the income ( which is nice lol). I really only have a passion for nails so I suppose I have to push hard to get my business off its feet lol..xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I added waxing because my clients were moaning about it, and I found that thought interesting... and after training, I saw that I enjoy that service too... if I didn't, I wouldn't have done it. But that was when I already had my living out of nails and pedicures... and there were few who said, why not false eyelashes, why not make - up... I know salons that go pretty well with just nails, and others that are really fluent in different services.

I think it's all up to you... find your comfort zone, perfect it. Jack of all trades might get lost in all of that, if you know what I mean... especially if you are one man band. But then, with respect to everyone, it's very individual.

I offer, eyebrow tint/shaping, lash tint/perm. Individual lashes (not lash exxtensions) and i will be training in sienna x spray tanning in the next few weeks. Nails were never meant to be my only income. I always intended to offer more.

I will also be offering waxing in the new year.

I think it all comes down to personal choice, if you can get your fulfilment from solely nails, and it pays your bills then fair play. But I would like a bit more range, not just for myself but for my clients. Having said that i will probably never be as talented at nails than most of the geeks on here x

I added on waxing, tinting,facials and spray tanning to make my business justify me going full time.
I also had loads of clients asking for these other services so I felt it would be stupid not to offer them.

Nails is my passion and will always be the service I love above all else hence the reason Im doing my Masters :lol:.
:hug:

I added on waxing, tinting,facials and spray tanning to make my business justify me going full time.
I also had loads of clients asking for these other services so I felt it would be stupid not to offer them.

Nails is my passion and will always be the service I love above all else hence the reason Im doing my Masters :lol:.
:hug:

So now that you offer all these services I'm curious to know what proportion of your busines is derived from each service?? Do you keep a record? I would love to know what proportion is nails and how the others do in comparison. Would you mind telling me ? :hug:

So now that you offer all these services I'm curious to know what proportion of your busines is derived from each service?? Do you keep a record? I would love to know what proportion is nails and how the others do in comparison. Would you mind telling me ? :hug:

I would say that at the moment 60% are nails and the other 40% is split between all the other services with waxing and tanning taking up most of it but this will drop with it coming to the colder time of year.
Over the next 2 weeks I have another two new nail clients booked it which is fantastic:biggrin:

I would say that at the moment 60% are nails and the other 40% is split between all the other services with waxing and tanning taking up most of it but this will drop with it coming to the colder time of year.
Over the next 2 weeks I have another two new nail clients booked it which is fantastic:biggrin:
thank you for telling me.
It would be interesting to break it down properly and do the real numbers and see how much money comes form nails and how much money comes from the others and get a true reading. :hug:

thank you for telling me.
It would be interesting to break it down properly and do the real numbers and see how much money comes form nails and how much money comes from the others and get a true reading. :hug:
I will have to sit down with my Septembers numbers and see what they come up with xx

Latest posts

Back