Nail Him ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a client would you prefer your nails done by a man if given the choice?

• Yes

Votes: 53 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 89 12.7%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 557 79.7%

• Total voters

bug123

Reaction score
As a male nail tech, I still get 'negative feedback' when people realise that man is doing nails (ooh eh misses ;) )

I don't have a problem with people's reaction because after they realise that I'm serious and they see the end result their attitude changes!

I'm not sexist anyway but...wait for it - I feel a poll on it's way! :right:

Any comments please. :?:

bug123 said:
As a male nail tech, I still get 'negative feedback' when people realise that man is doing nails (ooh eh misses ;) )

I don't have a problem with people's reaction because after they realise that I'm serious and they see the end result their attitude changes!

Hiya,

It wouldnt bother me if a male therapist did any sort of treatment to me, it doesnt matter what sex you are as long as you are qualified and proffesional, and in this day and age it shouldnt matter.

Go for it bug and keep up thegood work

Amanda

Totally agree with Amanda. My hubbie airbrushes my nails and he's great!

Some of the greatest techs are male so I would just enjoy the experience and once he was famous I may just do some name dropping.

Hey Bug, how are you?? I voted that it made no difeerence to me personally! The greatest male teks out there - Ketan Patel, Tom Bachik, Tom H, Tonio, Sweet Cheeks, Marco are great for different reasons - gay or straight! I have always been very comfortable with gay men doing any type of 'treatment' on me - I guess coz you know there's going to be no problems in the 'fancying' dept...now straight teks are different - it can be a very sensual experience having your hands 'man-handled'... trust me I know :wink2: . Equally there is nothing better than sitting there with your nail-tek girlfriend and chatting and gossiping...so yup - makes no difference!!!

Ummm sorry - that took me a while...got carried away with my thoughts! :lol:

I think the only reason you sometimes get negative feed back is because its one of those steriotypical trades, a bit like a woman going into the building trade - she's going to get some funny looks. I think in time people will become more open to having both sexes doing nails and beauty, it just may take some time. I know if given the chance my other half would love to do nails, I've caught him showing off his artistic flare in the lounge before now painting some nail tips, so you never know, maybe in time he'll want to do it for real - I recon he'd be good at it!

Right it doesn't bother me male or female as long as their a good tech :biggrin:
I do think that some ignorant people think that if you do a job like that you must be gay :sad: and some people are still homophobic.
My brother is gay and and use to be an hairdresser, 2 guys who worked with him were not gay, but some of the older ladies thought that because they were doing ladies hair that they all must be gay, and would ask for the female stylist to do their hair pmsl Just glad times and attitudes are changing.

Hiya, my experience with men in the beauty industry seems to be a bit biased! I love them! I don't know if I'm right but it seems that they strive just that little bit more for perfection just to prove that they are worthy of their jobs to those who scoff! They all seem to do a fabulous job, so I would definately choose them if I had the choice!

I may be wrong, but it's my humble opinion. If there are many more men on here, I would love to hear your opinions.

I think it's horses for courses, I've heard people say that they prefer a man to do their hair because they feel they are going to be "better" - I suppose it's a bit like chefs, it seems to be the male chefs who are more successful :| Personally, I don't care, as long as the person is good at their job!

So hopefully for you, the ones who are put off because of your gender will be balanced out by the ones who see it as a bonus!

Best wishes

Julie

Hey Bug123...I picked it doesn't matter, cause it doesn't. Only reason I could see you getting a reaction is cause it's 'out of the norm' and clients aren't expecting to see a man do their nails. I used you have a man do my nails a few years ago, they were a husband and wife team and they did really well. As Mrs. Geek said, some of the greatest techs are male so enjoy and be the best you can! This is the best industry to be in!

Cheers

Hi Bug123,

One of the first times i had my nails done, it was by a man who was about 60!
Now i was a little nervous, and thats probably because i had never even heard of male techs then, and i thought this guy was gay , he was very effeminate and wore nails on one hand! It doesnt bother me if anyones gay, but thats just the impression i got from him. The nails he did for me were gel, and they were really good, and it turns out he was the hubby of the lady who owned the salon and wore the nails as he had been to a show and had samples put on!

That'l teach me to be judgemental!

It personally dosent matter if the tech is male or female as long as they do a good job.

Michelle x

Makes no difference to me either.

I have a male hairdresser and he's ace, I switched to him from one of female colleagues as she made me feel really imtimidated and came across as a total bitch.

I think there is a tendancy for women working in a traditionally female role, with a largely female clientelle to have the label (quite rightly at times) to be gossipy, two faced and bitchy - at least you don't meet that stereotype!

Women will always compete with other women and compare themselves to those around them (or is that just me? :D ) with you, your clients won't have that worry.

Good on ya for doing what you want, not what society says you should.

You could be a monkey for all I care,:lol: as long as you are good and know what the heck you are doing what difference should it make what sex, color, height, age you are or any of that other stupid stuff people stress about? If they have a problem because you are a guy it's their loss!

It doesn't bother me either way so long as the person treating does a good job. I think having a good rapport is more important than what sex they are and I personally prefer a male for massage, I find i get a much firmer massage rather than the 'fairy fingers' approach.

Hi there bug - it dont matter to me hun, either way,I would chose a technician by experience not sex...you go for it...

I'm surprised in this day and age that anyone worries about a man working on them when they are a professional who obviously has qualifications.

bug123 said:

Wouldnt bother me in the slightest,
After being seen "down there" :o by male doctors when having the kids I wouldnt care who did my nails, as long as they were good.

Em x

It would not make any difference to me either, as long as I walked out with lovely nails then that would be fine. :biggrin:

Terrible I know - but I always have my hair cut by a male if possible as I find they usually make a better job! A couple of females I have allowed to cut my hair and I never get what I want! Difficult customer here! Also I find men chit-chat less and hold proper conversations! Perhaps I've worked with too many men for too long (Ex-Armed Forces!)

Keep going guys!

emmam said:
Wouldnt bother me in the slightest,
After being seen "down there" :o by male doctors when having the kids I wouldnt care who did my nails, as long as they were good.

Em x

oh this is soooo true,

i dont mind as long as i have got lovely nails !! i use to have my legs waxed by a man (he was lovely!) and he didnt hert as much as the lady! :eek:

Latest posts

Back