Nail Polish Remover making L&P go soft?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Hi, I did a set of creative L&p on myself and as I only did pink I decided to polish them. When I came to remove the polish i noticed that the L&P went a little soft. It wasnt really soft, just enough that you could scratch the surface with your nail and some would come off.... Havent noticed this in the past but ive been wearing gel for a while so maybe its always done this and ive forgotten?? Also, although they were nice and buffed and glossy, this disappeared and went a bit cloudy when the polish remover came into contact with it, is this normal?? I am using non acetone by the way..... Thanks x

Aspirations said:
Hi, I did a set of creative L&p on myself and as I only did pink I decided to polish them. When I came to remove the polish i noticed that the L&P went a little soft. It wasnt really soft, just enough that you could scratch the surface with your nail and some would come off.... Havent noticed this in the past but ive been wearing gel for a while so maybe its always done this and ive forgotten?? Also, although they were nice and buffed and glossy, this disappeared and went a bit cloudy when the polish remover came into contact with it, is this normal?? I am using non acetone by the way..... Thanks x

I always masage the nail with solar oil post polish removal... this is normal, I then squeek em and buff back to glory

All polish remover is solvent based. Most of the solvents used break down the bonds it's just that acetone is one of the fastest.

All a non-acetone remover does it minimise the reaction but, put enough on and leave it long enough and it will take those nails off ;)

Removing varnish from l&p and fibreglass needs the minimum amount of remover for the shortest time and then they may need a quick buff. It is only a solvent resistent gel (i.e one that needs buffing off to remove) that will be totally unaffected.

Marian

Thanks for that, thought it was something id done wrong! I suppose its because i'd got used to the gel being unaffected and still shiney that it seemed strange, i will use less next time x

Just to add to Marians brilliant post...

This is one of the reasons why a 9:1 ratio of acetone to water is so perfect for removing enamel from L&P and Gel enhancments (as well as natural nails)...

Because it works so fast there is little damage that can be done.

im really glad you posted this thread as i have had the same thing happen recently but havent noticed it before you have saved me asking! i just buff the polish off now! easier! lol

kat

Latest posts

Back