nail problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftypooch

Reaction score
I am hoping someone here can help with my rather strange problem that no one seems to be able to help with...desperation strikes.

about 10 years ago I noticed a brown line on my right ring fingernail. over the years more lines have developed they cover approx one half of the nail and run from the bed to the tip. After investigation i have been told by a dermatologist that i have a mole in the nail bed. Unfortunately this weakens the nail and it splits down the brown line into my nail bed (and it is often sore and painful). Since february i have been treating all my nails to nail envy and avoplex. However, this seems to have made the problem worse and now several of my other nails are flaking. I have read on here this is due to lack of moisture. I am using the formula for flaky nails but as a nurse do have to wash a lot. In fact i would say they were possibly in better codition wioth no treatment....has anyone come across this problem? and is there a way forward to stronger healthier nails. Have to say my toe nails are excellent.
jo

If your nails are dry and flaking you need to stop using anything to strengthen them (nail envy) as this will dry them out more and make them worse,
you need to get some solar oil and apply this to your nails at least 3 times a day,
solar oil will put moisture back into your nails while making them stronger but flexible too,
you can buy this from any salon that uses creative products hth

by using the nail envy your just strengthening the nails that dont need to be strenghtend too much use will make them dry and brittle its moisture you need so plenty of oil solor oil as stated or nsi nurture oil is good or any oil that had jojoba oil in it. for your nail that always splits why not try an overlay of gel on it this will keep the nail together and stop it catching on clothes ect and ripping.

yes, i am interested in what you have said about the overlay because i thought that might be a way forward. However, every nail technician i have asked has advised against anything like that (i have tried 4 plus asked nail tutors at the loal college). It was a technician that advised i try the nail envy approach.

the brown area of the nail is very soft, thin and weak.

Just as a thought should i treat all the nails as seperate items? use oil on some and envy on others?
jo

i was hoping to show you a photo of problem nail. If anyone knows a reliable tech in the ipswich area i would be really grateful. Trouble is i cannot have a full set due to work.
jo

yes you should treat each nail seperately, for peeling and flaking nails i would recommend jessica fusion it has vit A & D and rubberised resins which will fuse the together the delicate nail tissue and protect from water getting between the nail making it worse and reapply every 2/3 days. I would also recommend finding a nail technician who deals with jessica products and try to restore your own nails to strength first and also apply phenomen oil and nourish to your nails and surrounding area at least twice aday..xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back