Nail Salons Boom On The High Street

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
In these dark financial times, it's always gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to read positive things about the growth of the beauty industry, so it was with a smile on my face that I read about the unprecedented growth of nail bars on the high street.

According to research by Local Data Company, nail salons are the fastest growing businesses on our ever-dwindling high streets, making up 16.5% of new enterprises.

A director at Local Data Company, Matthew Hopkinson said: “Because nail bars have relatively low set-up costs, they have been able to fill the buildings left empty by failed conventional businesses.”

Founder of nail bar chain Nails Inc. Thea Green told the Daily Mail that nail bars are successful because they are an affordable and fast way to feel groomed: “People are working hard and under an increased amount of pressure, so taking 15 minutes of “me” time makes them feel pampered...Nail salons have the feel-good factor and a manicure isn’t as drastic as a haircut or other beauty treatment.”

The simple fact is that having your nails done is and will continue to be an affordable luxury that has a whopping 'feel-good' factor. Here at Salon Geek HQ we are chuffed to bits to see our industry thriving despite the financial pressure. We also know that behind those successful nail bars is a lot of passion and hard work.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000015675785XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000015675785XSmall.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 752
True but there is also a down side .... which is ... everyone and their aunt fanny is taking cheap courses so they can go out and eat a slice of the same thing, either mobile or over the ironing board in someones house! Known as the Kitchen Mafia by some and in Australia as the 'backyard barbies', or by me as 'messers, and cowboys in general, these folks are doing harm to our industry by causing a general disrespect for the good services offered by the professionals.

You can argue that there is more awareness for nails .. but not sure it is the kind of awareness I like personally. Still not complaining myself as business is booming for we who are established and have a reputation, but it's not that easy to get either established or a reputation in the present climate if you are just starting out.

Fair comment Geeg... but I dod hope that those of us who are serious about our trade and committed to making it work and invested our time and money into it, will be able to do so [build up new business].

I handed in my resignation from my 'other' job today after 2 years of part-time nail and beauty training & practice practice practice to concentrate on and hopefully develop my nail & beauty business into my full-time occupation! I have currently enough clients to fill two days a week.... I just hope I can fill the other four days eventually!

I might be mad giving up well paid employment in the current climate to folllow my dreams, but I eat sleep and breath nails and beauty and I just don't want to do anything else in the whole the world!

Wish me luck? ;)

Fair comment Geeg... but I dod hope that those of us who are serious about our trade and committed to making it work and invested our time and money into it, will be able to do so [build up new business].

I handed in my resignation from my 'other' job today after 2 years of part-time nail and beauty training & practice practice practice to concentrate on and hopefully develop my nail & beauty business into my full-time occupation! I have currently enough clients to fill two days a week.... I just hope I can fill the other four days eventually!

I might be mad giving up well paid employment in the current climate to folllow my dreams, but I eat sleep and breath nails and beauty and I just don't want to do anything else in the whole the world!

Wish me luck? ;)

You can do it! I just said that it wont be that easy ... and it wont, but if you are good and with the right commitment you will do it.

I think that many suppliers are not helping by supplying to anyone and everyone, ebay is not helping, amazon is not helping and rogue diverters are not helping as none of them require any kind of education and they sell to all and I would not support any supplier that did not make education a requirement.

It's tough ... but then we've never seen any of the bozos/leeches make it to the top either now have we. So, there is still room to do well ... just quite glad I am not starting out again.

Wish me luck? ;)

Good Luck, You'll need more of that backbone than anything else but loving what you do leads me to believe you'll be good at it, which in turn will be your key to success.:hug:
I was happy to read this piece, it was just what I needed tonight!

I was a Consultant at a Top Music Technology company, I was earning big bucks, but I gave it all up to open a tiny tiny nail bar...seriously tiny. Honestly, when I opened the doors I had approximately 5 serious customers and a heck lot of naivety, hope and grit. But I was good and I was determined and I had essential support from my husband. 4 Years (& 1 baby) on, well I have just ordered my second batch of 150 loyalty cards (these are very stingily given out, these have to be earned!) and am about to open my 2nd shop. So is business booming? Well, yeah I suppose it is as now, after 4 years I have an income and 2 girls working for me, but Im a sucker for punishment (my poor husband) so Im going back to being broke for another 3 years to build another business up from nothing. I couldn't have built either without a solid education in Nails, I couldn't have done it without the good advice from Salon geek especially Geeg herself when I cried for help! AND I certainly cant imagine any of those ad hoc ''kitchen Mafiosi '' (loving it!) being able to do the same without the same determination, education, commitment and OK ...a bit of Luck.
I believe Im in a growing business and thats why Im here to grow with it.
So, Head down, chin forward and knock 'em dead!

Fab story Cait :)

Thanks for the advice geeks! I had a major wobble today, about what I'm about to do - but reading this again, it has definately refocused me!

Cait, your story is inspirational, thanks so much for sharing it with us :o

You're welcome! Hope its all going great guns for you now!
Have a read of my blog on here, you may find some of it useful - or not, but its my experience anyway :)

Latest posts

Back