nail system advice (moving to Australia)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaD_uk

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm a newbie to posting but have been browsing since september and this site has been a big help.
I am doing my NVQ level 2 in beauty therapy at the moment and am enjoying it very much.

What I would really like to do is also become a nail technician, my dilema is this, I was going to do my training with The Creative Nail Acadamy in Nottingham but the educator that did the training has now stopped to take time out for her family .. bummer i know. I had chosen Creative as I know that there are distributers in Australia as we are moving there in approx 12 months.

Now for the complicated bit, which is the best company to go for and if there are any Australian techs that could help me with what qualifications are exceptable and what level of experience will be required of me.

I would really value any imput. Its a difficult one i know.

Thanks very much
Lisa
xxxx

Please is there anyone that can help with my dilema or even point me to a website that could help me.
I would be very gratefull.
Thanks Lisa xxxx

Thank you for reply
Lisa xxx

Hi Lisa,

I'm not quite in Australia, I'm in New Zealand but we have pretty much the same deal going on here I think (any Aussie's please feel free to correct me), but over here you don't need a qualification to work as a Nail Tech. Although saying that if you want to be the best out there and gain client confidence faster I would suggest you take an international exam, over here we have CIBTAC or similar. Where abouts in Australia are you moving too? I use NSI here in NZ and I could ask my distributor if there is someone local you could get in contact with in Oz if you want.

Good luck with the move down under - I did it 3 1/2 years ago and I absolutely love it!

Hope this helps a little.
Bridget:)

Hi All
I'm a newbie to posting but have been browsing since september and this site has been a big help.
I am doing my NVQ level 2 in beauty therapy at the moment and am enjoying it very much. What i would really like to do is also become a nail technician, my dilema is this, i was going to do my training with creative nail acadamy in nottingham but the company that did the training have now stopped bummer i know. I had chosen creative as i know that there are distributers in Australia as We are moving there in approx 12 months. Now for the complicated bit, which is the best company to go for and if there are any Australian techs that could help me with what qualifications are exceptable and what level of experience will be required of me.
I would really value any imput. Its a difficult one i know.

Thanks very much
Lisa
xxxx

Hi Lisa,

I'm not quite in Australia, I'm in New Zealand but we have pretty much the same deal going on here I think (any Aussie's please feel free to correct me), but over here you don't need a qualification to work as a Nail Tech. Although saying that if you want to be the best out there and gain client confidence faster I would suggest you take an international exam, over here we have CIBTAC or similar. Where abouts in Australia are you moving too? I use NSI here in NZ and I could ask my distributor if there is someone local you could get in contact with in Oz if you want.

Good luck with the move down under - I did it 3 1/2 years ago and I absolutely love it!

Hope this helps a little.
Bridget:)
I think things are pretty much the same here as NZ.
As far as experience goes, I think that's the same everywhere. What a employer will what will vary between employers.
I think most brands would be available here.
This link might be useful APFA - The Australian Association for Professional Nail Practitioners

Thanks for replys Nail nirvana. If you could ask that would be great thanks.
Also thank-you beauty nails.
i have been at my wits end as what to do. I would really like to get some experience before moving over there but i don't want to do loads of training if its pointles i want to make it count.

Hi I am in Australia and basicly doing the same thing as you, some things that mite help...you need to join the AAPNP or similar organisation to get insurance, I spoke to an insurance agent today that told me that. Also there are different laws over here for self-employment and working from home that I'm just finding out about so I'll keep you posted. I've got numbers and stuff if you want them. NSI is way more popular over here than Creative Nail/Pacific Nail though maybe it depends on where you live, I am in Victoria in Melbourne. I have met techs who use Creative but only one out of about 25 or so. I'm still going to use Creative as I think it's the best product. Another word of warning depending on where you live there can be alot of competition, people coming from Asia and working for very low wages so they do very cheap sets, I was going to set up in Sydney but this is the case there (not sure about the suburbs) so Melbourne was a better fit for me and I like it better here anyways:) hope im not rambling too much let me know if any of this is helpful or if you have any other questions, you can probably help give me advice on setting up over here too lol!

Hi I am in Australia and basicly doing the same thing as you, some things that mite help...you need to join the AAPNP or similar organisation to get insurance, I spoke to an insurance agent today that told me that. I didn't have to join anything to get insurance.

Also there are different laws over here for self-employment and working from home that I'm just finding out about so I'll keep you posted. I've got numbers and stuff if you want them. NSI is way more popular over here than Creative Nail/Pacific Nail though maybe it depends on where you live, I am in Victoria in Melbourne. I haven't noticed this at all.

I have met techs who use Creative but only one out of about 25 or so. I'm still going to use Creative as I think it's the best product. Another word of warning depending on where you live there can be alot of competition, people coming from Asia and working for very low wages so they do very cheap sets, I was going to set up in Sydney but this is the case there (not sure about the suburbs) so Melbourne was a better fit for me This is actually the same as all over the world, not just in Oz. and I like it better here anyways:) hope im not rambling too much let me know if any of this is helpful or if you have any other questions, you can probably help give me advice on setting up over here too lol!

Sorry but it's important to get the facts straight for info like this I think matey. x

Just to agree with Lovenails. I didn't need anything to get my insurance.

Yes there are alot of NSS in the cities, as everywhere else in the world, but I don't have that problem where I am.

Creative is a very popular brand here. I use it and I can think of a few other Aussie geeks that do too.

Thanks girlfrommars2k,lovenails1 & beauty nails.
Thought I had decided what system I was going to train with but I just keep getting so confused.
Lisa
xxxx

Latest posts

Back