Nail technician courses for beginners.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking into doing the relevant courses to become a nail technician (have nothing at present). There are so many different types of courses (part time, 3-4 full days etc) I wondered what other people did and recommend.

I'm 'thinking' about starting with just extensions and seeing how that goes, then doing further things. Are there any qualifications that you 'have' to have legally - can't find that there is.

Any advise at all would be hugely appreciated.

Hi all, I'm looking into doing the relevant courses to become a nail technician (have nothing at present). There are so many different types of courses (part time, 3-4 full days etc) I wondered what other people did and recommend.

I'm 'thinking' about starting with just extensions and seeing how that goes, then doing further things. Are there any qualifications that you 'have' to have legally - can't find that there is.

Any advise at all would be hugely appreciated.

Hi Julie .. welcome to the salon geek and good luck on your journey to becoming a professional nail technician.

You do need recognized qualifications from an approved training provider to obtain insurance to work so make sure you choose the best education with a reputable company who has a history of success and is well known in the field.

One such provider is CND (Creative Nail Design). For over 30 years the recognized world leader in both products and education. Professional only.

The home of CND in the UK is Sweet Squared. Give them a call on 0845-2106060 if you want to discuss your education needs and have information sent to you or visit Welcome - Sweet Squared and click on education to meet the trainers and see locations.

In my opinion it is always the smartest move to get things Right from the Start. All the best for the future.

Hi JULIEHAWES,

I would definately start with CND id say that if you choose anyone else, theres 90% chance you will in the end convert to CND,Its like buying a handbag from primark, then realising that you should of bought the gucci one you really love,lol!
So you may as well go with them from the start, I almost pee my pants with excitement that in the very near future I will be able to advertise that i now use CND products, have a look on there website theres some fab videos to give you an idea of the quality of there company,
good luck in your new chosen career, and treat salon geek as your new best friend, its fab!!
Kate x

I've just done a salon systems one at capital hair and beauty. It's over 5 days, then you have an exam in 6-8 weeks! :)

I have done a cuccio manicure course with Capital hair and beauty and have now booked to do a cuccio acrylic course with them next month, with the certificates i can obtain the insurance which is all you need.
I figured just having these 2 courses under my belt would get me started and in the future i can still go on more courses to futher my knowledge and training.
Hope that helps :)

I asked questions at all the local training schools, then I chatted to all the nail techs who's work I admired. The nail techs, all of them, told me to start with CND, the training schools, well they would all tell me what they covered then there would be this little pause and they'd say, of course we're not CND but we charge less:eek:
Em, hello, if you don't think you are as good as CND then why should I train with you?:smack:
Yes they do charge more then some providers, but what you get from that training is second to none and in the long run they will save you a fortune.
I have gone on to further training with other companies, purley because they were close to where I live or covered something arty that I was curious about, and by talking to other nail techs have discovered that the only reason I have no problems working with products other then CND is BECAUSE I trained with CND. Their teaching is so thorough and the help to any and all questions after training is so unstinting that most of the pitfalls are avoided completely. If someone said, use one word to discribe this company I would say, Quality. You will find lots of people here who use many different products and feel very strongly about their product but you won't find anyone who would disagree with that word when discribing CND.
Take your time, ask questions, read the threads in the search section and save your money.
Then get your family used to the fact that they will become you models, live in a less then perfect home and that if they want any computer time they will have to buy you your very own computer because the addiction starts here:lol:

yep! Your spot on with what you said Susie, I was shown how to do nail extensions very briefly as part of my beauty therapy course 10 years ago, 2 years after that I paid to do a private course,(money down the pan)and more or less had to teach myself how to be good at them,which was much harder then, as the internet wasnt as mainstream as it is now,and Id certainly never even heard of anything as fabulous as salon geek!
Ive now just booked my first CND course, its a conversion,as I can,and do do nails, daily as part of my job, but even then we had a job getting booked on with CND, as we have only our 2 day course certs to take with us to CND,YES they mean something to us (my sister in law,and I) but they dont to anyone else! you really will be better off starting up with CND,I wish I had of done.

How I see it is I mainly do nail, eyelash, and hair extensions, my hair extensions are brilliant, I actually dont think anyone can show me how to do them better than i do (very modest of me i know,lol) And I now have no competitors in my area, not even salons.For my eyelashes I trained with who I thought was the company that offer the best training,and products,so why not train with the best nail company, which is without a doubt CND, I cant wait until Ive completed my training with them,
Youve only got to take a look at the tutorials that geeg does on here, I learnt more about nails reading a couple of her tutorials than I ever have at college or on courses.
All the best Kate x

Want to know what I love about CND?
I go to a show, pop on to fb walk down the street and where ever it is if one of our industry gods see's me they come and say hello, they ask questions about my family etc and give of their time unstintingly. Due to my husbands work I have worked in many different places and a few different industrys and I have never, ever met with this kind of warmth and passion.
They are what people think of when they talk about close knit family.
Now that's special:hug:

Awww, thats really sweet.............
x

Want to know what I love about CND?
I go to a show, pop on to fb walk down the street and where ever it is if one of our industry gods see's me they come and say hello, they ask questions about my family etc and give of their time unstintingly. Due to my husbands work I have worked in many different places and a few different industrys and I have never, ever met with this kind of warmth and passion.
They are what people think of when they talk about close knit family.
Now that's special:hug:

Thanks for your replies, you've all been really helpful. I'm kind of thinking about doing nail extensions first, then adding other things as I go along if it all works ok. Does that sound ok??

It's hard deciding what course to go with, the 'quicker' ones obviously sound the best but from some of the things I've read, they're not great.

Hi again! I've been searching (addicted?? me??) and have found somewhere close to me doing courses called 'United Beauty' (Star Nails). Anyone trained with them or know of them? They look great and the certification you get is OK to get insured with.

Latest posts

Back