Nail technicians advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautifullyMobi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i

I've done CND acrylics for years also do Shellac. I've got a client booked in wanting infills next week. I've just come across she has went to the discount stand in our town, got a set of acrylics done then a gel polish over the top. I've kept away from doing these just for time and because of infills. They are becoming more popular though. Gel over acrylics. I found out that when the techs do infills on acrylic nails with gel over top they just use the electric file and file the gel off. I'm shocked.

Would like some advice on what everyone else does please.

As 1, I will need to infill the acrylic and 2, she wants a new colour on so need to take gel off and put a new colour on?

I would advise on getting a whole new set but she doesnt want to pay full price only infill price. I don't also use an electric file but wouldn't remove gel with file.

Would love to here everyone opinions.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Just buff of the gel colour and rebalance/infill as normal. I do acrylics with Shellac on top all the time and it's standard to just file off the colour coat each appointment. Doing so causes no damage to the natural nail whatsoever x

I wouldn't do an infill because you just don't know the product they are using, I had the same issue yesterday and told her that if she wants good quality nails to go back to the place that she received them so they can use the same method of application and the same product to reduce the chance of lifting. Or commit to a different system completely. As for the gel, is only a top coat I'm assuming so it won't be very thick, you can buff it off or use a regular file and file that down and then buff to smooth.

Thankyou I was thinking about asking her to get a new set with me then just infills there after. As like you say you dont kniw what they are using.

Is the shellac easy to buff off? Was thinking wud be on forever filing and wud damage nail.

Iv kept away from doing these but going to have to start due to lots asking about them now :).

Thanks for comments much appreciated.

Pure is right ...just to add I use a drill to remove colour coats ...and nationality doesn't make any difference to your competency . :hug:

Sorry Rinn didnt mean it like that more like if it was anyone who done the nails I would prefer to do a fresh new set and start again so can see what nails are like underneath etc. Also start again and use my my products from start abit ocd like that.

How ever u was abit shocked with the electric filing bit but seems like everyone does the same. :))

I use an electric file but it never ever touches a client's natural nail, not even the sanding bit! I could never file off gel/shellac products or acrylics either, soak off is the only option, if you can over buff by hand imagine what one of those things would do to your nail! No thank you. When sing an infill I just use the sanding bit on my eclectic file and remove the cured on top coat and thin out the acrylic just a tad towards the cuticle where the nail has grown out. How much are you charging for an infill versus full set?

Sorry Rinn didnt mean it like that more like if it was anyone who done the nails I would prefer to do a fresh new set and start again so can see what nails are like underneath etc. Also start again and use my my products from start abit ocd like that.

How ever u was abit shocked with the electric filing bit but seems like everyone does the same. :))

If she has been to a an non standard salon (NSS) then there is every possibility that her nails are trashed underneath the existing acrylic in which case it's better to leave the product on and simply infill allowing the previous work and any damage to grow out.

If you remove the product and her nails are in a seriously bad condition then the chances are that your acrylic wouldn't last and the client will be likely to return to the NSS again, which isn't good for either of you as you would lose a potential regular client and she will stick to having her nails trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to worry about infilling another tech's work as technically you aren't mixing systems.
File the enhancements and prep the nails as you normally would. If the existing set is not in need of fixes it is okay to proceed :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone just unsure how im going to do the infill without removing gel as im not sure what gel polish they have used and. I dont use an electric file. It will take some buffering by hand.

Thats why was thinking soaking off.

Will have a word with client.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Using a 100 grit file remove any length that isn't required and buff over the surface until the colour is removed, you will want to go to a higher grit file for the sidewalls and cuticle area though to ensure you don't mark the natural nail. Then just treat it like any other infill. That's how I do it as I don't have an electric file either.

I actually have a new client coming this afternoon too who has nns nails on so I know I'm curious to see what they're actually like and hoping they're not too awful too! I'm sure you'll be fine but let us know how you get on :hug:

Thanks everyone just unsure how im going to do the infill without removing gel as im not sure what gel polish they have used and. I dont use an electric file. It will take some buffering by hand.

Thats why was thinking soaking off.

Will have a word with client.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Why would you not want to remove the gel colour?
It has to be buffed off and the L&P filed down for infill at the same time, then when you have finished Infilling the acrylic, your client can choose one of your gel colours to finish the treatment.
The addition of the gel polish at least means it won't matter if your acrylic is a slightly different shade of pink from the last salons.

Gel on top of acrylic is very popular now and lots of people have it, just file it off the top with a 100/150 grit file for an infill, natural nails don't get damaged as you aren't touching the natural nails.

If she has been to a an non standard salon (NSS) then there is every possibility that her nails are trashed underneath the existing acrylic in which case it's better to leave the product on and simply infill allowing the previous work and any damage to grow out.

If you remove the product and her nails are in a seriously bad condition then the chances are that your acrylic wouldn't last and the client will be likely to return to the NSS again, which isn't good for either of you as you would lose a potential regular client and she will stick to having her nails trashed.

I was wondering about this, and glad I came across this thread. I had a new client come to me last tuesday and her previous tech has been infilling her gels OVER a layer of gel polish. She's also not been removing previous layers of gel polish OR removing the old set of nails and re-applying a new set.

So, this client came to me last tuesday for infills and a new gel polish. I buffed off the red that was on top and found a layer of pink polish underneath. Under that was the first gel overlay and I lefty it there. Next nail.....under the pink was the clients natural nail that was so fragile an thin that I buffed through the nail :Scared:. Please don't judge me for this, I had no frigging idea that her last nail tech wasn't following proper application procedure. That infill was clearly pink polish with the infill on top. I was a complete wreck. The client was awesome about it. However, she's coming back next Tuesday and I don't know whether I want to remove this awful set of nails and start again. Or, do I let them grow out?

So she had gel polish on top of gel polish? :eek: how lazy of the other tech!!! Think I would have been shocked at that one too lol
So what exactly does she have on her nails now? Did you apply anything?

So she had gel polish on top of gel polish? :eek: how lazy of the other tech!!! Think I would have been shocked at that one too lol
So what exactly does she have on her nails now? Did you apply anything?

Better than that. Some nails had a layer of structure/builder gel, followed by pink gelish, then the infill gel, then red gelish and the infill on top of that. She still has her gel extensions on. I had to replace one and do something with the nail I damaged. I removed what I was brave enough to remove, but after I accidentally buffed through to her nail bed (please no judgement!!!), I was terrified to do much more. Anyway, I got the majority of the colour off and infilled then gave her a gel colour.

I really, really need advice as to what to do on tuesday. HELP!!!!

If she has hard gel then buff as much away as possible but leave a very thin layer to protect her natural nail (I'm guessing it's clear). On those nails without the hard gel I assume you can soak off what remains. Are you just applying gel colour for her or hard gel too?

I really, really need advice as to what to do on tuesday. HELP!!!![/QUOTE]

Oh no I'd be a nervous wreck too! I think I'd be tempted to soak if you can first to see if any of the colour comes off to reveal the hard gel! then I think slow and steady with no more than a 240 file till you know what's on each nail! Hopefully not too much damage will be done to the natural nail! But I'm not a gel person just acrylic and gel polish.

Sorry I've not replied. Busy little afternoon. I'd like to talk to her about using IBX to repair her nails as the last nail tech just kept applying extensions. Her nails must be in bits. I'll try the soak off tip. Thanks ladies. I'm in bits thinking about it! X

Bump for help above!!

Latest posts

Back