Nails are lifting :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmann

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have just trained in gel extensions and have been using NSI gel to practice. I have done 3 sets so far and all have lifted at the cuticles and side walls. I am preparing the nail with a white block, pushing back the cuticles, dehydrating the nail and also using primer. I then put a thin layer of clear balance builder gel and cure for 90 seconds. I then put on balance body builder bright white and cure for 120 seconds. Then i put a thick layer of balance builder gel and cure for 90 seconds. Then I file to shape. I then wipe the sticky substance off with cleanser and put on a layer of glaze and go.

Please help..where am I going wrong :(

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have just trained in gel extensions and have been using NSI gel to practice. I have done 3 sets so far and all have lifted at the cuticles and side walls. I am preparing the nail with a white block, pushing back the cuticles, dehydrating the nail and also using primer. I then put a thin layer of clear balance builder gel and cure for 90 seconds. I then put on balance body builder bright white and cure for 120 seconds. Then i put a thick layer of balance builder gel and cure for 90 seconds. Then I file to shape. I then wipe the sticky substance off with cleanser and put on a layer of glaze and go.

Firstly you are newly trained - it is not an easy skill to master and to expect nails without problems after doing 3 sets is unrealistic.

However, I don't believe your prep is adequate based on your post above. You say you push cuticles back but do you remove the non-living tissue from the nail plate as well? If not you wont get a bond between your product and the nail. I use CND Cuticle Away which loosens the layer of cuticle left on the nail and I then remove that with my cuticle tools.

Also, another common reason for gel lifting is not working the first layer into the nail. If you are painting it on like nail polish it wont be bonded strongly enough.

Have a read of the tutorials on here - there is a good one by Geeg about gel application.

Hth's

Yes like above dont be disheartened I had the same problems when I started and it really got me down but you will get there! As Vetty said you need to work the first layer into the nail in circular movements and dont use too much gel. Also as well as using the white block I use a 240 grit file to go round the side walls pulling them down gentley as I am doing it to ensure all shine has gone from the side of the nail too, this could be why you are lifting at the side?

HTH, dont loose heart you will get there :Love:

I had same problem with NSI gels, I don't like them but I like their acrylics. OPI gel is far better and myself and my clients can wear them no problem. If I put NSI gels on me they would be off the next day.

Hello,

The fact that you are getting lifting at the cuticle and the sidewalls makes me think that you may be applying the product too close to the skin. You need to leave a tiny margin to prevent lifting.

I had same problem with NSI gels, I don't like them but I like their acrylics. OPI gel is far better and myself and my clients can wear them no problem. If I put NSI gels on me they would be off the next day.

Hi, How do the opi compare with bio sculpture? Have you used bio? I'm fed up of nsi gels too but bio seem expensive and high set up costs but I can buy opi locally. X

Hi, How do the opi compare with bio sculpture? Have you used bio? I'm fed up of nsi gels too but bio seem expensive and high set up costs but I can buy opi locally. X

Can I ask what your frustrations are with Balance UV Gels?

Thank-you very much. I will bare all this in mind..i will buy cuticle remover and also try working the gel in circular movements. Fingers crossed :)

Latest posts

Back