Nails lifting on a laundrette lady

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loza789

Reaction score
hi guys,

i've been doing nails for about a year and never have anyone come to me now saying they are lifting. one of my ladies has acrylics and came to me for an infill last monday. i saw her last night for waxing and she's re-booked for another infill. her nails have lifted slightly and she thinks this is because she works in a laundrette and her hands are constantly wet and in steam. i've mentioned the possibility of her wearing gloves at work but she said she doesn't want to.

questions is, is she right or should i be doing something different? has anyone else had this? she's coming to me tonight

she is probably right

Lets talk about porosity - The nail plate is roughly 1000 times faster at letting water pass through it than skin... So... it's very quick to absorb, but very fast to evaporate and then dry out.
As the plate goes through this cycle, it actually swells and changes shape, and then shrinks again as it drys...

if she has her nails done on a work day (and has had her hands in water during the day) then the nail plate will actually be very swollen with additional moisture.

If you then apply product onto this swollen nail this is the shape the product sets in.
Within a day or two the normal cycle of swelling/shrinking means the nail plate has actually moved away from the product that was adhered to it, and where the bond is weaker it will break the adhesion..

I hope this makes sense..

Her best bet would be to come to you on the afternoon of a day off (when the nail is the most dry) And then you can form a really tight bond that will reduce the chance of lifting.
She then should not have to wear gloves.

PS - This is a great tip for hairdressers also, as they commonly suffer lifting for the same reason.

Wow thanks Envy :D

I'm so glad you gave me such a great reply. The lifting only happens on one hand (the one she uses the most). I did her an infill last night and she's coming back in two weeks for a new set doing. I've made the appointment for her day so her nails are fresh and the product has time to settle properly before she's back at work.

Fingers crossed x

Latest posts

Back