Nails - new start up - advice really appreciated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larenka

Reaction score
Hey, firstly thanks for your time reading this. I have read a lot of posts over last few months but still have a few queries and would like your expert opinion ! :confused:

I'm just starting out and am looking into all avenues - I am seriously considering doing a natural course with CND initially as have no Nail experience & this also includes Shellac. I know there are a lot of threads about shellac etc but i have also read reviews that say Gelleration & Gelicure are better than Shellac? (A lot of people around me are offering gelish so wouldn't consider that.) What are your experiences/differences?

I wanted to add a gel polish that was strong, long lasting & good range of cols/nail art options as I have now decided for the time being not to offer enhancements. Do you think that natural only is a good option?

I have a number of reasons why I am holding off learning enhancements.. 1.Initial outlay - I wanted to ensure there was a market for my business. I also believe there may be a diminishing enhancement market? Quite a few posts on here mention only now doing a small no of new full sets, maybe due to people moving to gel polish & unhealthy competition from lower end salons? I don't want to try to compete with the Thai salons so am aiming for the mid-high end of mkt but also don't want to lose masses of clients cause i don't offer extensions. If I was going to do anything it would be L&P as there are a lot of people doing normal gel locally and I believe its easier for other people to start up doing this, so that why i would try to learn L&P.
2. Also know that L&P takes a long time to perfect & would like to start doing manis & gel polish before Christmas as know this is a good time for business so don't really want to miss this due to longer L&P training. Do you think it is a good idea to wait and do L&P at a later date? I think it may cost me more in the long run but I'll hopefully make that money back & more by starting before Christmas?

Also I was considering offering a mobile and home salon service - to be as convenient as possible, do any of you offer both options? Understand I'll have to plan my appointments well & have the additional costs setting up room at home but apart from that any other pros/cons? For you mobile geeks - do you only state you are willing to travel a certain mileage - Do you charge extra for further afield?

Also hopefully last point!, pricing. In my area, both gel polish & L&P are £25. From a consumer point of view, do you think they will be willing to continue to pay the same amount for a 30-45min gel polish treatment as they do for a 1hr-1&1/4hr L&P skilled treatment? I know that a small percentage of people are offering gel polishes for £20 but with all costs involved I really don't want to go that low.

I will be working P/T around clients & looking to also offer spray tanning to bring in other clients. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks geeks!! :)

hiya, such a long post and alot of questions but i will address some of them!!

Firstly Shellac is not a gel and cannot be compared to gel polishes. it is a polish that happens to be cured in a lamp using uv light.

yes it is true that there is alot more call for uv/gel polishes now as its more practical for most people in their daily careers/lives. I only do a handful of extension enhancements and the rest is either Shellac or Bio sculpture which is a soak off gel.

if your budget will only allow for you to do the natural course with cnd then i would say go for it and add enhancements later although it may work out more money in the long run. with cnd courses you get everything you need to start doing enhancements/natural nail services so bear that in mind when you are deciding what to do, once you have paid out you wont need anything else for a short while. also the training is spread out over time so once you have completed your mani and pedi and have proof you may be able to start trading doing those anyway. the best thing is to talk to sweet squared and explain your situation and ask for their advice.

as for pricing do not worry about what others are charging, never a good idea. you need to price yourself according to how much your products are and time taken and how much you want as an hourly rate. someone down the road from you may be charging silly prices but are there nails lasting? are they giving a thorough treatment?do clients WANT to go back to them? i made the mistake of charging either the same or less than locally to me and now i am being told that the other salons have them in and out too quickly, the nails arent lasting and they didnt enjoy it there!! so they are now coming to me where my nails last anything from 3 weeks and up generally!!

good luck and hope ive answered some of your qs xx

Thanks for your reply souz. Spoke to CND again like you said and adding L&P onto my natural training is half price, so i'm thinking to attract more clients that want extensions I should probably do it now while I can get that deal (Plus its probably going to take me ages to perfect it :eek:)

Would be great to also get some feedback on the mobile v. home salon query. I'm thinking it won't cost me much extra to set up at home as well as going mobile, as I can use the same mobile table etc?

glad you are getting sorted hun, it will take lots of practice for L+P so at least you can earn money with shellac etc for now and practice when you can with L+P.

as for setting up at home, you need to contact your council and ask them if you need any special licence (some councils do, some dont). you need insurance once you are qualified have a look at babtac, beauty guild, abt, professional beauty. if you go mobile you will have to let your car insurance company know, not sure how much it goes up.

yes if you get a portable desk you can do both, there are pros and cons to going mobile....personally i hate to lug everything about!

get yourself a website and advertise on every free website like facbook, free ads, gumtree etc.

hope all that helps and good luck xx

Latest posts

Back