Nails techs and their children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very professional in my view. I don't mind little ones popping their head around to say hi, but getting under the table and messing about is not on in my book.

So no I don't think your over reacting.

I hate kids.

I don't want them in the room with me whilst I'm having a treatment.

I don't want them in my room with me whilst I'm giving a treatment.

I'm not sure why this thread is confined to nail techs! I had my eyelashes done at someone's house, in the living room with a half naked husband, three kids under 9 and a great big dog. The youngest kid started pulling my hair, the other one stood on the remote control box and the tv volume hit 50... The dog jumped at the table whist I was on it. . And all this while the girl and half naked husband went to answer the door while I was laying on her table with my eyes glued shut.

Unprofessional in any capacity.

Some clients don't mind. I do.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hate kids.

I don't want them in the room with me whilst I'm having a treatment.

I don't want them in my room with me whilst I'm giving a treatment.

I'm not sure why this thread is confined to nail techs! I had my eyelashes done at someone's house, in the living room with a half naked husband, three kids under 9 and a great big dog. The youngest kid started pulling my hair, the other one stood on the remote control box and the tv volume hit 50... The dog jumped at the table whist I was on it. . And all this while the girl and half naked husband went to answer the door while I was laying on her table with my eyes glued shut.

Unprofessional in any capacity.

Some clients don't mind. I do.

Sounds great! :D

Not discounting people's personal opinions on whether or not they agree or disagree with children being present but more importantly what about safety for the child?
I do all beauty services, not just nails and have on my treatment menu this exact wording:

"Due to chemicals used in some treatments, Children are not permitted in treatment room, please arrange alternative care. Thanks for your understanding."

Now that would apply ANY Children, mine or theirs. It's not negotiable. I'm not going to be responsible for a little one accidentally pulling something off my nail table into their eyes or a bumping over something like a hot wax pot.

For me it's purely about safety and duty of care, not whether I offend someone or not.

Not discounting people's personal opinions on whether or not they agree or disagree with children being present but more importantly what about safety for the child?

Safety for the adult you mean.:)

I work from home & mobile. I only offer home appointments whilst my children are at school. I think it is both unprofessional and at times dangerous to have the risk of any child present whilst treatments are carried out. As well behaved as my children are, I also know that if they were home & in another room, my mind would not be 100% focused on the client & so I simply never put myself or my clients in that possition. Being mobile is harder to control the inclusion of children, whenever I speak to a new client I always recommend they book appointments for a time when any children or pets can be cared for by someone else. But they don't always take that advice, I've had a few nightmare situations, I've had to turn into therapist come entertainer & had to refuse one client who expected me to do her Brazilian with a 2 yr old & 8mnth old hanging off her! But I also respect it is their home, if they are happy for little Freddie to wipe snot all over her lovely new nails and freshly waxed legs who am I to argue? Unless little Freddie touches my equipment or gets in my way - then they hear me roar!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm a single mum of two young kids and I am hairdresser and beautician and I don't think kids should be around. Either the client isn't getting a professional service or my kids are ignored to a certain degree xx mine are in childcare while I work xx

I have a three year old daughter and she is at home with me full time. I'm doing nails quite a few times during the week and my child and I are a package deal. It's made clear on my business page that I have a little girl and she is welcome to float in and out of my room. People will deal with it. If someone comes in and doesn't appreciate that I am a stay at home mum with a child then that's their problem not mine. At the end of the day my daughter comes first as I've shown by having to cancel appointments when she is sick. I would rather attract family friend clients with children (I also welcome children at appointments and have toys in the room for that reason) or who understand what it's like than people who are disgruntled by them. Money doesn't mean that much to me that I'm willing to put up with crap where it comes to my kid.

Is also like to point out that I've educated my daughter. When I'm doing acrylics she's not allowed past the door frame due to chemicals and I set her up with whatever she needs in the mean time and I'm yet to have a problem. Otherwise I have a couch in my room as well and she is welcome to sit there and play games quietly on the iPad or watch movies with headphones.

Also, most of my clients are mums with young children her age and they bring them along. I don't mind as long as the kids, both mine and theirs, stay in the room with us and play with the toys in there. On days when it's just her and no play friend out bedroom is right near my nail room so I'll set her up with a favourite movie and by the time the movie is done I'm almost finished so it's balances out.

Each to their own. My kid knows what not to touch. I'm happy with it this way and it also means that other mummies don't have to try to find care for their appointment. While I'm doing their nails I deal with the kiddies too so they don't have to do anything with their hands and I also have a little box of treats. Mind you I also do services for little girls too like mani/pedi etc which helps because often a little girl or boy in some cases will ask to have their nails done too and it's a nice thing for them and their mum. Partners are welcome too and that often happens. The couch is there for a reason. I'm very laid back and like to talk and listen to music during my services and it's appreciated and I get comments on how relaxed the environment is and how relaxed and at home they feel.

Latest posts

Back