Nails techs and their children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joannedesouza41

Beleza beauty
Reaction score
Hello ladies,
I do nails and beauty, however I wanted to treat myself and go have some 'me' time and get my nails done, instead of it being a chore to do it myself. I always support local friends and friends of friends, as I would want them to do the same for me. However this time I thought I would go to a totally different lady and see her set up at home, how she ran things, ect.....

She was really lovely, her room was nice and she did a good job of my nails..... however her little boy kept coming into the room and seeking her attention, which she gave him, touching and moving her stuff, asking me to play with him, at one point was under the nail table?!

Now I get mums are proud of their children and want clients to see them, which is no problem for me, but I just thought this went a little far?? And whoever was looking after the child never came to get him.

I don't have children, however my partner is told if I have clients he has to pretend I'm not there, I'm not available! DO NOT DISTURB!

Wondered what your views were on this? Am I being a little over dramatic?

Beleza Beauty ♥

I don't think it's a big deal.... But I do understand why you asked the question.
Maybe others will disagree with me but I'm a single mam and if I'm working from home sometimes by boys are still awake depending on the time. I do put a DVD on to try keep them occupied but they do on occasions come and see what's going on!
I suppose it's just down to the client whether it puts them off going back or not.
On the flip side if I had a partner or my mam there to occupy them then it would be different and they'd be kept out of the way. X

Personally if I went for a treatment I wouldn't want children in the room , I have enough of my own lol and would enjoy the peace .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm a mum of 2,if i went for a treatment I would not want children in the room,what if you were having a wax? Lol,no its got to be child free for me to be a professional service,

Personally it would pee me off, I have 4 children of my own and although three of them are not small by any measure I would not work from home. If I'm going to have my nails done I want some "me" time, I wouldn't take my own kids with me and I certainly wouldn't want anyone else's.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah like I say, I totally get mums are proud, ect and I would have no problem with a child coming in to say hello and see who is there. However, like I say I just felt it went a bit far with him touching everything and being under the table!
This ladies only does nails so I dont suppose you could walk in on anything personal!

Glad I'm not being too over dramatic haha xxx

Beleza Beauty ♥

This annoys me...I think it's occasions like this that can affect the standard of nail technicians being 'professional'.

If you went to a Dentist and their child came in to see what was happening or kept playing with the equipment that wouldn't be seen as acceptable.

Or if a Doctor made a home visit and their child walked in on your examination...not cute.

You can try this scenario with any other profession and it doesn't make sense so why is it ok for a nail tech? It makes our industry seem less professional in my opinion.

I understand people have children but I see 2 options.....either arrange childcare or teach the kids that they cannot come in the room when mummy is working, unless it's an emergency.

If neither of those options work then they should probably not be doing nails. You can't give a professional, outstanding service in a timely manner with so many interruptions or tending to children, it doesn't add up.

This may offend some people but I am just commenting on the post with my opinion.

I have a son and I wouldn't want him running in and out when I had clients.

I go to other therapists for a treat so without sounding harsh I don't their children annoying me if I wanted that I'd stay at home with my own

Ok I get everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. However I think saying that if I have no other option of someone keeping my kids out the way then I shouldn't be doing nails a bit far fetched!
I mainly work mobile and go to other people houses while my boys are at nursery and the fact that some of my customers are happy to come to me for an evening appointment (kids or no kids) speaks volumes! To say I shouldn't be doing nails is totally over the top to be fair!
If my customers found it unprofessional then they would find another nail tech! It's simply down to your work, and your relationship with your clients!
I'm not saying for a second my kids are running all over touching the nail desk etc but it's life that sometimes they are just "there"!
Think some should simmer down with the dramatisation of things!

I work mobile & home based,but if I went to any salon, shop based or home based I wouldn't want children running around tbh ... Most ppl go to get away from children for some peace ... Or they'd have a mobile apt and entertain their own kids ... Just my opinion ...

I have 1 small child at home (5) and 3 granddaughters who often stay plus a newborn nephew but I wouldn't have clients with my granddaughters or nephew staying as I can't give my clients my full undivided attention, even if the smalls are in bed... Not unless it was an emergency and the client understood I have these small folk staying and I may be called upon to sort them out.
I most certainly wouldn't have clients over if my 5yro is awake, evening appts are always when she is sleeping.
She would be in and out, chatting, trying to help out, rearranging, needing my attention.. She has borderline behavioural issues so it wouldn't be fair on her to be subjected to bring told to sit, not speak or watch a movie etc.. She can't sit still, she jitters, she can't stop chattering, even in her sleep and she doesn't sit still or stay quite enough to watch a film lol.
It wouldn't be fair on the clients either as they don't understand her ways nor should they need to, so she is in bed asleep and my client has the calm, peaceful, relaxing treatment they booked and everyone is happy :)

I work from home and it's bad enough I have to do nails in the living room (I need a bigger house lol) if I have appointments then my husband usually takes the kids out or upstairs, I wouldn't have them there as I think it's unprofessional. Only time they are there is if someone is desperate for a treatment and I can't get a babysitter, I explain this to them and then they are more than happy to have my boys there and understand if I have to see to them every now and then :)

My hairdresser used to work from home and her kids were always running about. It didn't bother me unless they were arguing and she would then have to stop doing my hair and go and sort them out! I put up with it though as she was an amazing stylist and nobody before or since has ever done my hair so good.

I also work from home now, and I do it for my own convenience, and so I can be with my kids (since my spa hours were very long). Now, I don't charge nearly as much as some high end spa does, but I do the same great job. The way I see it if someone wants a real treat they would go to a spa as opposed to someone's basement. My clients are those that want great job but at affordable price. So they are much much more understanding about things and they don't expect the whole "get away" atmosphere when they come to me-they just want their services done. That said I normally do only work hours that my husband can take care of the kids, so I can fully concentrate on my client. But how many times a client of mine insisted on coming at a time when I'm alone with the baby, and they couldn't care less if he's there. I guess he is of a more calm kind, and would normally just play in the next room or quietly beside me, and not jump and run all over my staff, but that is not really a point here.
I guess what I'm trying to say-to each their own. And if the clients were not happy they wouldn't be coming to us. I also think it's unfair to say that those working from home with kids near them are unprofessional. We are NOT doctors, that comparison is a bit irrelevant IMO. I know quite a few other people in different professions working home with their kids by their side-lawyers, realtors, travel agents. And they have their own clientele too. People choose to go where they are comfortable. Just my opinion.

This annoys me...I think it's occasions like this that can affect the standard of nail technicians being 'professional'.

If you went to a Dentist and their child came in to see what was happening or kept playing with the equipment that wouldn't be seen as acceptable.

Or if a Doctor made a home visit and their child walked in on your examination...not cute.

You can try this scenario with any other profession and it doesn't make sense so why is it ok for a nail tech? It makes our industry seem less professional in my opinion.

I understand people have children but I see 2 options.....either arrange childcare or teach the kids that they cannot come in the room when mummy is working, unless it's an emergency.

If neither of those options work then they should probably not be doing nails. You can't give a professional, outstanding service in a timely manner with so many interruptions or tending to children, it doesn't add up.

This may offend some people but I am just commenting on the post with my opinion.

Oh my gosh, I sooooo agree! I get so angry when coworkers bring their kids to work. Spring, Christmas and summer breaks come every time each year, and every other professional make arrangements for their children's care. When did this become ok? I never understand it, never will.
If you worked in a hospital, office building or police department could you take your kids to work and get away with it? Heck NO!!

BTW, yes, I'm a mom, and no, he never came to the salon

Oh my gosh, I sooooo agree! I get so angry when coworkers bring their kids to work. Spring, Christmas and summer breaks come every time each year, and every other professional make arrangements for their children's care. When did this become ok? I never understand it, never will.
If you worked in a hospital, office building or police department could you take your kids to work and get away with it? Heck NO!!

BTW, yes, I'm a mom, and no, he never came to the salon

Just to add, I'm in the US and we generally don't have mobile techs or in-home salons. But still.....you're at work

Ok I get everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. However I think saying that if I have no other option of someone keeping my kids out the way then I shouldn't be doing nails a bit far fetched!
I mainly work mobile and go to other people houses while my boys are at nursery and the fact that some of my customers are happy to come to me for an evening appointment (kids or no kids) speaks volumes! To say I shouldn't be doing nails is totally over the top to be fair!
If my customers found it unprofessional then they would find another nail tech! It's simply down to your work, and your relationship with your clients!
I'm not saying for a second my kids are running all over touching the nail desk etc but it's life that sometimes they are just "there"!
Think some should simmer down with the dramatisation of things!

If you don't take your kids to your mobile appointments then that's great...as it should be. my comment regarding the fact that people with kids at home probably shouldn't be doing nails was *if* they couldn't arrange childcare or made SURE their client wasn't interrupted with children coming in. I don't agree with 'it's life that sometimes they are just there'. It's unacceptable in my opinion unless, as previously stated, it was an emergency.

As other people have commented, this would never fly in an office or any other working environment. It's 'life' that we have to make other arrangements for these things.

If you or other technicians have clients who are happy with this arrangement then that is great and works for you, but I wouldn't call it 'professional' is the point I'm trying to make.

I also work from home now, and I do it for my own convenience, and so I can be with my kids (since my spa hours were very long). Now, I don't charge nearly as much as some high end spa does, but I do the same great job. The way I see it if someone wants a real treat they would go to a spa as opposed to someone's basement. My clients are those that want great job but at affordable price. So they are much much more understanding about things and they don't expect the whole "get away" atmosphere when they come to me-they just want their services done. That said I normally do only work hours that my husband can take care of the kids, so I can fully concentrate on my client. But how many times a client of mine insisted on coming at a time when I'm alone with the baby, and they couldn't care less if he's there. I guess he is of a more calm kind, and would normally just play in the next room or quietly beside me, and not jump and run all over my staff, but that is not really a point here.
I guess what I'm trying to say-to each their own. And if the clients were not happy they wouldn't be coming to us. I also think it's unfair to say that those working from home with kids near them are unprofessional. We are NOT doctors, that comparison is a bit irrelevant IMO. I know quite a few other people in different professions working home with their kids by their side-lawyers, realtors, travel agents. And they have their own clientele too. People choose to go where they are comfortable. Just my opinion.

I used a Doctor and Dentist as an example - I also said this wouldn't be acceptable in 'any' profession. And if you really know a lawyer who works with a child by their side (whilst with clients) that's no lawyer I would ever want to hire...

That's not really on and while some people may not mind, some people are certainly going to and in any case it doesn't look very professional imo.

I worked from home from when mine were small and they were never allowed in the room with us (well in an emergency obviously but luckily a real emergency never arose.) I either worked when they were elsewhere or waited till my husband was home to take control. They weren't allowed to answer the phone on my nails line either (separate ring for nails) as I didn't want clients' first encounter with my business to be "hawo oo is it? Nanneeee?" lol

I have every sympathy for working/single mums who need to work and can't always make adequate arrangements for their offspring. Been there, done that! :hug:

I feel a bit of a heel about this but have to admit that now I'm no longer in that position, I simply don't want small children around when I'm paying for a service. A 'One off' in an emergency is one thing but, on a regular basis, I would look elsewhere - unless it was an absolutely fabulous job at a bargain basement price! :wink2: I feel the same if I'm out for a meal etc. You just want peace and quiet, not to be engulfed in a miniature nursery! (Hobbles off on zimmer frame!)

Latest posts

Back