Nails techs and their children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Doctor and Dentist as an example - I also said this wouldn't be acceptable in 'any' profession. And if you really know a lawyer who works with a child by their side (whilst with clients) that's no lawyer I would ever want to hire...
By saying "by their side" I only mean that the child is there while mom is working. Doesn't mean they are going to sit on your lap and keep interrupting. Those kids are very well behaved and know they shouldn't distract their mom when she's working (otherwise I'm sure those women wouldn't be working form home). I absolutely agree that kids should be an absolute no-no in the office or spa/salon. But it is a different environment if you ask me. I don't charge as much for my services for that exact reason-it is my home, my basement I'm working from, and yes, I have my family right there, that's the place we live in! Even though, as I said, I normally only work those hours that my kids are taken care of, there are those odd times when I do work with them by my side. Again, doesn't mean they are running around my room and interrupt my service, they are just playing in the next room. But yes, they might open the door once in awhile to see me.
It just offends me when someone says that somebody like me shouldn't be doing nails. I've been doing nails and beauty in a spa for many years, and now, working from home, I have a lot of happy loyal clients that keep coming back. In fact I get all my business from referrals as I don't advertise. So I can't be doing doing it all wrong, can I? I think it is not fair at all to say somebody is unprofessional when you don't know them, their work and their clients.

Im a worrier n wont have my children in the room when clients are around. I did hairdressing out of my kitchen n the eldest would scoot by for a drink but other than that i kept them out because of the products hot tools and sharps i had to hand. Same with nails, i cant open acrylic liquid without my son throwing up from the smell so those appointments are evening or at the clients home.
Its not about whether it appears professional at the front of my mind its the childrens safety!
I wouldnt feel comfortable if someone elses child wanted me to play with them in that situation either, i dont like children (mine are the only ones i like because i know how they tick) they make me uneasy so i wouldnt be re-booking personally.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

If you don't like that kind of environment, don't go back. Simple as.

Different strokes, different folks.

By saying "by their side" I only mean that the child is there while mom is working. Doesn't mean they are going to sit on your lap and keep interrupting. Those kids are very well behaved and know they shouldn't distract their mom when she's working (otherwise I'm sure those women wouldn't be working form home). I absolutely agree that kids should be an absolute no-no in the office or spa/salon. But it is a different environment if you ask me. I don't charge as much for my services for that exact reason-it is my home, my basement I'm working from, and yes, I have my family right there, that's the place we live in! Even though, as I said, I normally only work those hours that my kids are taken care of, there are those odd times when I do work with them by my side. Again, doesn't mean they are running around my room and interrupt my service, they are just playing in the next room. But yes, they might open the door once in awhile to see me.
It just offends me when someone says that somebody like me shouldn't be doing nails. I've been doing nails and beauty in a spa for many years, and now, working from home, I have a lot of happy loyal clients that keep coming back. In fact I get all my business from referrals as I don't advertise. So I can't be doing doing it all wrong, can I? I think it is not fair at all to say somebody is unprofessional when you don't know them, their work and their clients.

People need to read what I've actually said before jumping the gun....I said, people probably shouldn't be doing nails *if* they don't have childcare OR they haven't taught their children not to interrupt unless an emergency...you said your children don't interrupt so I'm not saying 'you' personally shouldn't do it.

However, I still think there is a line of what is professional and what isn't...you have decided to work from home and,in your own words, have your family around and still treat it as a home during a client's appointment and even charge less for that reason. So it sounds like you have more of a casual arrangement, and if that works for you and your clients then that's perfect for you but I don't think it can be classed as a 'professional' set up. Not accusing you of doing a bad job or not adhering to everything you need to...but I still will never see it as professional in the true sense of the word, nor would I in any other working environment.

I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I feel like sometimes people are expected to tip toe around the issue of children and accept that they have to be around all the time, but I don't agree with this.

She was really lovely, her room was nice and she did a good job of my nails..... however her little boy kept coming into the room and seeking her attention, which she gave him, touching and moving her stuff, asking me to play with him, at one point was under the nail table?!

Now I get mums are proud of their children and want clients to see them, which is no problem for me, but I just thought this went a little far?? And whoever was looking after the child never came to get him.

Beleza Beauty ♥

Wow! What did she say whilst he was doing this? It's a big no, no in my view. If you want to be respected as a professional and set yourself up as a business within your home it's a two way street and you need to act professionally in a professional environment.

Ok what I think has happened here is that scamp hasn't been in the situation your commenting on. I think it's fair enough to express your opinion but it's not very good to question us nail techs who are parents- especially single patents!
If one of my customer wants a home appointment and it's at a time which is before my kids bedtime, what are my options
- refuse the client until a time that my boys are in bed (which could potentially loose the client)
- arrange and pay for a child minder for that hour (which defeats the object of even doing the appointment)
Or explain to the client that your children will be around and let your customer decide if this is "unprofessional"
Because I'm pretty sure that any of my customers requesting a home appointment are more than happy to have it with my kids around. When you have a loyal and string following of customers they get to know your family and certainly don't mind.

This opinion of having kids around during appointments or not is down to the customer. Simple.

If you haven't been in the situation where you've had to accommodate working from home at some points with children I really just think it's pointless commenting when it's just expressing a negative opinion on what many of us nail techs are managing just fine!
We may have children but it doesn't mean we are inviting clients into a zoo like environment and charging them for it! We do have sense to know whether it works or not- and it obviously does work or we wouldn't be getting bookings!

Charlene 1983 the original poster asked what people's views were so it's bound to be a mixed bag. I don't think anybody's targetting anyone directly and what works for one doesn't work for another. It also depends what sort of environment and business image you wish to portray. :wink2: : )

Ok what I think has happened here is that scamp hasn't been in the situation your commenting on. I think it's fair enough to express your opinion but it's not very good to question us nail techs who are parents- especially single patents!
If one of my customer wants a home appointment and it's at a time which is before my kids bedtime, what are my options
- refuse the client until a time that my boys are in bed (which could potentially loose the client)
- arrange and pay for a child minder for that hour (which defeats the object of even doing the appointment)
Or explain to the client that your children will be around and let your customer decide if this is "unprofessional"
Because I'm pretty sure that any of my customers requesting a home appointment are more than happy to have it with my kids around. When you have a loyal and string following of customers they get to know your family and certainly don't mind.

This opinion of having kids around during appointments or not is down to the customer. Simple.

If you haven't been in the situation where you've had to accommodate working from home at some points with children I really just think it's pointless commenting when it's just expressing a negative opinion on what many of us nail techs are managing just fine!
We may have children but it doesn't mean we are inviting clients into a zoo like environment and charging them for it! We do have sense to know whether it works or not- and it obviously does work or we wouldn't be getting bookings!

Please don't assume you know what situations I have or haven't been in and it's quite naïve to suggest that people who haven't been in this situation can't comment. A lot of the people who have commented on this post (and agree with me) are / have been in that situation.

If you're going to enter the debate then be prepared for all responses. This isn't personal.

In answer to your scenario, I have never once said that I think anyone should be turning down business, and if the client is happy then good - my point is it shouldn't be claimed as 'professional' it's obviously more casual.

Just out of interest, why did you pick me out as the only person you 'assumed' hasn't been in this situation....a lot of people have commented on this, some who have stated they've been in this situation and some who haven't?

I firmly believe that if the client has had prior warning that child/ children will be there and they still choose to stick to their appointment then that's ok. I don't think it would be acceptable if it was sprung on the client as they walked through the door.
I started at home while my children were much smaller and they were always there (I'm in salon now they are older and in school) However, the fact that children would be present was always made clear to every single client. In fact, I marketed specifically toward mums with children who couldn't usually go into a salon as they would be in the same position as me, and it worked really well. These mums appreciated the fact they could bring their children and it wouldn't be an issue, it would be a play date for the little ones and beautiful nails for mummy.
It should be entirely based on communication prior to appointment so if the client would prefer not to be around children then there is still time to opt out.
😘xxx

It would annoy me. Not a problem if the kids are there and someone else is supervising, that's fine but not when they are touching and messing about x

People need to read what I've actually said before jumping the gun....I said, people probably shouldn't be doing nails *if* they don't have childcare OR they haven't taught their children not to interrupt unless an emergency...you said your children don't interrupt so I'm not saying 'you' personally shouldn't do it.

However, I still think there is a line of what is professional and what isn't...you have decided to work from home and,in your own words, have your family around and still treat it as a home during a client's appointment and even charge less for that reason. So it sounds like you have more of a casual arrangement, and if that works for you and your clients then that's perfect for you but I don't think it can be classed as a 'professional' set up. Not accusing you of doing a bad job or not adhering to everything you need to...but I still will never see it as professional in the true sense of the word, nor would I in any other working environment.

I'm really not trying to offend anyone but I feel like sometimes people are expected to tip toe around the issue of children and accept that they have to be around all the time, but I don't agree with this.
Fair enough! It is your opinion and you are in your right to stick to it. I guess our views on what "professional" is are a bit different. To me a professional (in a any field) is someone who does their job well, safely and can help me get what I need in a timely manner. I feel like I (and probably other working from home moms) fit into that category. Yes, my environment is definitely more casual, but I don't feel that in other aspects I'm any less professional then any other good nail/beauty therapist.
Back to OP though I don't think what happened was very appropriate, as you were a first time client and she should've at least made sure you'd be ok with her child there, especially the way he was behaving. But I'm not there to judge and if you were not happy-just don't go back.

I have a little madam of 3 and she drives me insane when I work. I make every effort to make sure my husband is here or she is at nursery when I work, however sometimes she is at home and I do pre-warn my clients every time and never take bookings from new clients when she is around.

Lots of my clients think she is super cute and love seeing her - grr!! I don't think they realise how hard it is to concentrate on the job when I have her constantly trying to get attention, so I have it the opposite way around.

Fortunately, I am very lucky with my clients and they are extremely good with her and I ALWAYS explain the situation beforehand and make it very easy for a client to state that they would prefer a time when it's a more 'sane' atmosphere :)

Last edited:
I commented directly on yours because out of all the opinions yours is all one sided. Everyone seems to appreciate other people's situation and can appreciate that it works for them but they wouldn't do it etc
But yours seems to sound the most one sided with no appreciation for others situations or client base. Opinions like that always ruffle some people's feathers because it sounds like your putting other people's set ups down.

And I can also tell that you'll keep defending and justifying..... so this is where I hang my hat.

I work from home and have a 4yr old son who is usually impeccably behaved but at the end of the day he is not a robot and can have the odd attention need - shock horror! My prices are on average at least 20% lower than that of the local salons and my work is better now than when i worked in a salon as I am not held to time restraints, I have decided over the past years that I am allowing clients into my home which is my family's home also - it is not a beauty salon and the price reflects that, if they can't handle a child then they can go elsewhere! My whole business has grown on parents understanding other parents needs/predicaments ie it is very hard to be a working mum and children can throw a spanner in the works at any opportunity with sickness etc and thank god I no longer have a boss to answer to :)

I commented directly on yours because out of all the opinions yours is all one sided. Everyone seems to appreciate other people's situation and can appreciate that it works for them but they wouldn't do it etc
But yours seems to sound the most one sided with no appreciation for others situations or client base. Opinions like that always ruffle some people's feathers because it sounds like your putting other people's set ups down.

To be fair I have said numerous times that if this works for people and their clients then that's good for them and I haven't questioned anyone's 'work' at all.

This doesnt need to turn into yet another salon geek bitch fest.... this should be a forum for people to express their opinions without being chastised by others for their feelings/beliefs. People from Both sides of this debate have very good valid points, and I personally agree with certain things from both sides. Some people need to learn to have an open mind and not be so closed off from maybe hearing another side to the arguement. Just sayin.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just out of interest how do you get on insurance wise when you are working from home and there are children present? Do they have certain conditions regarding storage of products etc. Especially if you don't have a dedicated room. You hear about salons not allowing children due to insurance but what happens when you are working in their home environment? This isn't aimed at anyone and I'm not having a go, just wondered how it all works insurance wise x

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've walked out of restaurants where there are children running about as reminds me of my waitressing days where parents seem to assume we'd love their wee 'darlings' running about our feet. Right up to the moment hot sauce tipped onto them. This will probably be enough to answer the OP's question but if it isn't then no I'd be very annoyed, and wouldn't stay, if children were involved in a treatment. By involved I mean visible or audible. Unless it was a situation like Lilacs where she seemed to have had the very bright business idea of mixing her childcare and business with clients childcare and treatments.

Latest posts

Back