Natural nail damage (client) - help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sax'd_out

Reaction score
DSC_0005_7~2.JPG
DSC_0006_7~2.JPG

Hi I have a client who is a regular shellac wearer, she is hard on her hands (job involves shifting a lot of boxes etc)
I haven't seen her for a couple of months and she rang last week asking for an appointment (saying that she thought she needed some treatment rather than shellac - she sometimes does peel off her shellac)
Anyway it looks like the majority of her nails have separated from the mail bed, they are quite painful to the touch and one nail in particular the skin has gone black (see pics)

I have her a treatment of ibx and we've left the nails bare, she also has a bottle of cnd rescue oil and I'm seeing her again on weds

Does anyone have an idea what might have caused such lifting? Is it an infection? What should I do next? :-o :-S
Any help / ideas appreciated lol

The below pics are after ibx - you can see the dark patch under the nail now

DSC_0007_7~2.JPG DSC_0009_8~2.JPG

Many thanks for reading!
X

That doesn't look like a simple case of 'greenies' and/or onycholysis to me, I think I'd be recommending a visit to the doctor to diagnose. At worst it could be a fungal infection but we are not doctors and able to diagnose.

Advise her that fungal infections to the nail can be notoriously hard to diagnose, usually a nail clipping has to be sent for analysis, and even harder to clear up. They can take over 6 months of antivirals but as fungus is naturally ocurring in the body it's difficult to eradicate the ones we don't want. Some doctors won't even contemplate treating as it can be very hard to get on top of and isn't life-threatening, just unpleasant to look at.

There are lots of 'suggested' solutions on the internet, tea-tree oil is supposed to be an anti-fungal, but I'd start with a doctor.

In my opinion: Oncholysis plus fungal infection. Send her to a doctor!

Latest posts

Back