natural nails lifting off the nail bed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussycat

Reaction score
hi, a work colleague came to me today to show me her nails, she has no enhancements on and the last time i did her some was about 7 months ago they were just tip and overlay gel for a wedding and she's not had any on since.

when she touches the tip of her finger just below the free edge you can see the nail easily lifting away from the nail bed, it isn't causing her any pain but it's happening while she typing if she catches one of the keys with her nail, she in a panic thinking that they are going to lift all the way off and she'll have no nails left.

the nails themselves look healthy, pink, a natural shine to them, soft cuticles etc.

she has however recently been diagnosed as having an overactive thyroid and has been put on medication to combat this.

does anyone know if hyperthyroidism can cause the nails to lift?

or how she can go about treating it?

thanks

Cat xx

Sounds like Onycholysis and her medication could be the cause - to read more clicky here

HTH
KxXx

yes sounds like onycholysis. while the l&p is on those affected will not be doing them anygood. i do hav a few clients with over active thyroid and on med 4 it, no onychoysis with them. i think for clients with nail beds with a tendency 4 this maybe better of keeping away from tips and l&p and going natural nail manicures or sculptured gel? with my clients i leave them natural and very short, this gives the nail a chance to reattach without being constantly knocked.

If she is not wearing any enhancements now, then do as Melody Jayne says.

If she is overly concerned then she should ask her doctor. Time is the only healer but it will more than likely be her state of general health that has led to this ... the typing won't help them to re-attach easily either so keep short.

Hi again all.. as a new tech I obviously practiced on my own nails and let others in the class practice too... now I was really carefull with the blending and so were the others and no damage was done to the natural nail (u can c this) BUT as soon as the nails were off then I had lifting from the free edge back up - so instead of a nice natural smile line its all wavey and it goes up quite far on some:irked: . I asked at the college and also looked into it and it would seem that I have some reaction to the gel (maybe, probably). It doesn't hurt and I now manicure all the time and keep them short and neat and they are getting better! thank god cos it doesn't look good does it! lol.
so maybe its a reaction to the gel?
ta ta
kirsten x

the best way to care for them is to keep em short so that nothing catches and tears the nail plate up more, and also ensure thet thet are kept dry so that no bacteria can set up home in any trapped damp patches and give her the greenies. rubbing in a good cuticle oil a couple of times a day will also speed up the growth of the natural nail by stimulating the circulation as it is being massaged in. hopefully as new healthy growth takes over the natural nail will re-atatch itself. wearing polish will cover any unsightlyness in the mean time. it worked for me.

Latest posts

Back