Natural nails vs nail extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbie1989

Reaction score
hi everyone

Just a quick question for the lovely nail people if I can please..

How much of your custom is natural nails vs nail extensions?

I've been qualified in manicure and pedicure for a while now and I'm thinking about setting up a little nail business but because I'm not qualified in extensions I feel I'm limited compared to other nail techs in my area. I'm looking into an evening course at college to learn extensions but that wouldn't start til September and will last a year so would you advise me to leave it until I've got the extra qualifications or start out now and see what happens?

Thank you :)

I'm fully booked and only do approx 3 gel polishes per month. No normal polish or manicures.
Vast majority of my appointments are extensions.
However....that's what I'm known for so if you build up your clientele and focus on natural nails and push that then it can work you. Many only do natural nails although I personally think it does limit you a bit but if you're good at what you do then you'll get the business.

Last edited:
Start out now and build your clientele. No reason to wait a whole year. So what if you don't offer extensions at first?
Besides, say you do wait, clients don't just drop in all together when you decide to say "hey, I'm open!". It takes time, and through this time you can do your course AND start your business which is going to be very difficult and expensive, mind. If you start having a few clients you will cover your initial costs, which will be pricey.
Not to mention you can offer your clients half price extensions as a portfolio or practice cases when you begin doing them and ask for their feedback. Just an idea to consider.

Start out now and build your clientele. No reason to wait a whole year. So what if you don't offer extensions at first?
Besides, say you do wait, clients don't just drop in all together when you decide to say "hey, I'm open!". It takes time, and through this time you can do your course AND start your business which is going to be very difficult and expensive, mind. If you start having a few clients you will cover your initial costs, which will be pricey.
Not to mention you can offer your clients half price extensions as a portfolio or practice cases when you begin doing them and ask for their feedback. Just an idea to consider.

Thank you for your reply :)

I totally understand where you're coming from with letting it take time setting up.

I'm also wanting to offer massage (which will come at a later date as I need to train) but thought if I started out small and built things up at least I'm going in the right direction :)

Hey! I know of a girl who is MOBBED with shellac - so it really depends
Also I would say do a fast track course for your extensions - get ILA (if in the UK) to help - do it soon though as new accounts are going to be blocked in may - because college takes FOREVER I'm at college doing sculptures ATM I paid full price for the course and wish I had just paid extra for the fast track :(

Hey! I know of a girl who is MOBBED with shellac - so it really depends
Also I would say do a fast track course for your extensions - get ILA (if in the UK) to help - do it soon though as new accounts are going to be blocked in may - because college takes FOREVER I'm at college doing sculptures ATM I paid full price for the course and wish I had just paid extra for the fast track :(

Really?! That's good for her :) I know a couple nail and beauty ladies around my area who seem to be really busy but they all offer acrylics and gels so I have no idea how a natural nail business would go down. Not sure what ILA is but I will look into it thank you :)

It's a learning fund you get £200 towards any courses - some fast track courses accept it too

I've just started in the last couple of months and wanted to focus on natural nails rather than extensions. The vast majority of people in my area want extensions but I've not only trained in manis and gel polish, I've got my Ibx certificate too. It took me so long of posting ads but last night I had 4/5 enquiries come through from people asking to help make their natural nails healthy and better quality again (quite a few who've had bad extensions in the past and want to fix the damage). I also offer Threading which I figured would be an easy treatment to add on and offer as mobile. I figured that I'd rather be known in my area for being good at something that's a bit different to what everyone else is offering around me. I guess it all depends on what you would enjoy doing, the clients you want to attract, and overall what you want to offer long term.

I'd say that probably around 70% of my clients are natural nail treatments (shellac/pedicures/manicures) so you can build, or at least start, a business on natural nails only.

However, my personal point of view is that I wanted to be able to offer a full service nail salon. Otherwise what happens when you have a bride with a broken nail, for example?

I'd say that probably around 70% of my clients are natural nail treatments (shellac/pedicures/manicures) so you can build, or at least start, a business on natural nails only.

However, my personal point of view is that I wanted to be able to offer a full service nail salon. Otherwise what happens when you have a bride with a broken nail, for example?

I totally see where you're coming from which is why I've been in two minds waiting to set up until I've got the qualifications I want to get. Thanks :)

I am of belief, that a well rounded technican, can call themselves a nail tech if they offer a variety of treatments. When you do a consult with a client, you need to ask about their lifestyle, type of work they do, how much effort they can allocate to home care, can they come on a biweekly basis etc... Many things to consider, so you can prescribe the best possible treatment for each person.

Latest posts

Back