Natural virgin 7 hair to ash blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be far better off using prelightener and a nice low strength developer, in the conventional way, then toning with a conditioning quasi afterwards - that way you'll have full control over how light you lift the hair, and you can choose what you tone it with, where you apply the toner, and how long you leave it on for. With 2 step prelightening and toning you have the power to control the process yourself, instead of being limited by the capabilities of a high lift tint. Some clients may not even need toning if they lift particularly clean x

This has been the best advice, thank you.
Everyone seems to judge so much on here, ive never had problems with what i was taught by my tutor, but i totally agree with your method.
What toner would you recommend? x

Always happy to help :D am I right in thinking you're a wella user? If so, equal parts of 9/16 and 10/0 in colour touch is a lovely toner to counteract yellow tones - the 10/0 dilutes some of your ash, so you get lots of control over it rather than using a very strong ash shade that can potentially grab very quickly x

Always happy to help :D am I right in thinking you're a wella user? If so, equal parts of 9/16 and 10/0 in colour touch is a lovely toner to counteract yellow tones - the 10/0 dilutes some of your ash, so you get lots of control over it rather than using a very strong ash shade that can potentially grab very quickly x

Yeah, I use wella and that sounds like it will be nice. I will try that.
Thankyou
:D x

This has been the best advice, thank you.
Everyone seems to judge so much on here, ive never had problems with what i was taught by my tutor, but i totally agree with your method.
What toner would you recommend? x

We have manufacturers instructions for a reason. Yes I agree we can break the rules when we know them but this is dangerous. Bleach on scalp on its own can cause burns and blistering, so adding in a tint with increase the alkalinity and cause some serious damage to someone's hair and scalp.

Risk it on your own but don't share that info with other hairdressers.

We have manufacturers instructions for a reason. Yes I agree we can break the rules when we know them but this is dangerous. Bleach on scalp on its own can cause burns and blistering, so adding in a tint with increase the alkalinity and cause some serious damage to someone's hair and scalp.

Risk it on your own but don't share that info with other hairdressers.

I have never used bleach on the scalp, i was going to do it in foil.
I totally agree i would never do that on the scalp

I have never used bleach on the scalp, i was going to do it in foil.
I totally agree i would never do that on the scalp

Scalp or foils just don't do it!

Do you know much about ph levels of colours? You could fry someone's hair!

On our tubes of colour is says 'you are liable for specials mixes'

You do this and something happens you would have no insurance.

Scalp or foils just don't do it!

Do you know much about ph levels of colours? You could fry someone's hair!

On our tubes of colour is says 'you are liable for specials mixes'

You do this and something happens you would have no insurance.

I understand this, but i also understand a lot of colourists do this.
Firstly, i only use pastel. 12/89 pinch of bleach and pastel to create caramel. Ive never had problems with breakage nor reaction and my clients have always loved the result. I would never, ever do something i thought would damage my clients hair or health. Ive never mixed large amounts of bleach, high peroxide and highlift tint together as this to me would be a risk.
I know exactly what ph levels are in colour, ive never experienced fried or sizzled hair. Im extremely careful in what I mix and what ratios :D
But thankyou for showing concern.

I understand this, but i also understand a lot of colourists do this.
Firstly, i only use pastel. 12/89 pinch of bleach and pastel to create caramel. Ive never had problems with breakage nor reaction and my clients have always loved the result. I would never, ever do something i thought would damage my clients hair or health. Ive never mixed large amounts of bleach, high peroxide and highlift tint together as this to me would be a risk.
I know exactly what ph levels are in colour, ive never experienced fried or sizzled hair. Im extremely careful in what I mix and what ratios :D
But thankyou for showing concern.

Pinch of bleach is naughty, but common. Adding high lift into a bleach mix isn't, and you really would be well advised to avoid it. Not everything teachers teach is right you know.
High lift tints contain huge amounts of ammonia, which will significantly raise the level of your mix, without the requisite amount of ammonia buffers. You would burn the scalp, and possibly melt the hair.
Hair rarely requires such harsh treatment. It should be easily possible to get the colour you require and still follow manufacturers instructions.

Pinch of bleach is naughty, but common. Adding high lift into a bleach mix isn't, and you really would be well advised to avoid it. Not everything teachers teach is right you know.
High lift tints contain huge amounts of ammonia, which will significantly raise the level of your mix, without the requisite amount of ammonia buffers. You would burn the scalp, and possibly melt the hair.
Hair rarely requires such harsh treatment. It should be easily possible to get the colour you require and still follow manufacturers instructions.

I completely and totally agree, i dont mix high levels.
Only a pinch, i know its not recommended but many colourists do so.
I only add a pinch of bleach if i think it needs it, not if the hair will lift sufficiently without x

I completely and totally agree, i dont mix high levels.
Only a pinch, i know its not recommended but many colourists do so.
I only add a pinch of bleach if i think it needs it, not if the hair will lift sufficiently without x

None that I have met.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

None that I have met.

Look, this is my technique and i have never had problems at all.
No breakage, no reaction, a beautiful result and a happy customer.
If people want to say i shouldnt do so, thats completely your choice.
It was what i was taught, in BOTH salons i have worked at.
I asked for friendly advice. Not to be told off.

Like i said its a pinch of bleach, literally.

I've also met lots of technicians who put a sprinkle of bleach into their high lift tints - even some really highly trained people at top salons that we would all recognise the names of. As we all know it is not recommended by manufacturers and it would invalidate insurance. However, many hairdresser do it at their own risk. I don't personally do it because if I use a high lift tint I'm not really aiming for a massive amount of lift - I only really use them to achieve warm level 8/9 blondes or caramel highlights x

Look, this is my technique and i have never had problems at all.
No breakage, no reaction, a beautiful result and a happy customer.
If people want to say i shouldnt do so, thats completely your choice.
It was what i was taught, in BOTH salons i have worked at.
I asked for friendly advice. Not to be told off.

I am not "telling you off" I am telling you that in the event that something does go wrong then your insurance will not touch you. You will personally be liable for any damages.

I've also met lots of technicians who put a sprinkle of bleach into their high lift tints - even some really highly trained people at top salons that we would all recognise the names of. As we all know it is not recommended by manufacturers and it would invalidate insurance. However, many hairdresser do it at their own risk. I don't personally do it because if I use a high lift tint I'm not really aiming for a massive amount of lift - I only really use them to achieve warm level 8/9 blondes or caramel highlights x

Me too, salons not to be named, but most hairdressers if not all would know them! I totally agree, its not every client i put a pinch of bleach in, just when i need to. I only do it on a few of my clients, if i want a lighter lift i tend to do bleach foils and if needed, tone. X

I was taught to use 12% on scalp at two salons, develop for over an hour and use milk to calm the burns.

It worked, we got results. Would I do it now? Absolutely not.

First half my career has been working dangerously, the other half has been manufacturer training. I get my results now without putting clients at risk.

I am not "telling you off" I am telling you that in the event that something does go wrong then your insurance will not touch you. You will personally be liable for any damages.

I just feel like people can get a bit touchy on this site. We all have different experience in this industry. I understand i am liable, this method wasnt something i conjured up in my head overnight. Its smoething i was taught and something i have seen people do. With no adverse effects :D

10/16 with 9/8 is gorge when toning bleach! Use it with pastel an apply on wet to keep the condition. Or u could use 12/81 with pastel 2. Sorry if any1 has suggested this earlier I didn't read thru all the comments. X

I was taught to use 12% on scalp at two salons, develop for over an hour and use milk to calm the burns.

It worked, we got results. Would I do it now? Absolutely not.

First half my career has been working dangerously, the other half has been manufacturer training. I get my results now without putting clients at risk.

To me though, those things are a little more obvious in basic training at a college. Im not working dangerously. I keep a watchful eye on this method as i would with any other.

I just feel like people can get a bit touchy on this site.:D

Don't take offence but maybe it's because people who have a lot of experience have seen more 'accidents'. It's not to say we all haven't done this stuff, but over the years I've learn not to play with chemicals.

There's no reason to mix bleach and tint together, which I think is the point people are trying to make. Yes I know some one showed you and it's worked for you so far. But trust me good quality products work without having to play dangerously.

And I can see the last comment is yet another person to recommend highlift tint as a toner with pastel! This is such a common subject on here, they are highlift tints because they are designed to give 'high' 'lift'.

Toners put a tone in when you have lightened correctly.

If everyone knew the chemical make up behind colours you would WANT to put a highlift over bleached hair.

Latest posts

Back