Natural virgin black to blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiahoney

Reaction score
Hi all, ive got a lady coming tomorrow whos a natural base 4-3 who is wanting to go blonde! (Im not convinced this is a great look for her) There is a little old black colour on the ends but i can cut this out with some nice layers if its really stubborn to lift. My concern isnt lifting it to a blonde as im planning to use bleach and 9% and just pack the foils in and let it lift slowly. She hasnt stated just how blonde she would like to be or wether she wants a gold/ash tone yet as we will loom at pics tomorrow to get an exact idea in mind to aim for.
My concern is the overall look of bleach hi lights against the black 😞 should i then do an all over colour of say 6/0 to soften the natural roots and hair not hi lighted or not? What would you to avoid it looking tacky? Any suggestions welcome 😊 thanks x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Anyone below a base 4 id never do blonde. Its just a rule i have myself. 1. It takes ages to lift 2. The upkeep!! Xx

Would you just say no i cant do it then to a client? Im going to talk to her about a few more subtle nicer looking options. I just cant stand the thought of her being bleach blonde with black roots every few weeks coming through :( akward lol

There are some great high lifts for dark hair!

Bleach and 9% would be very brassy!

Personally I would do a virgin app of a suitable highlift then some bleach and 3% scattered through after. Then just maintain with root application.

Hi colourgirly, from experience the wella highlifts dont lift light enough for what the clients want even on a natural 5. What do you use to acheive this? Thanks

If anything, when clients come in that has a base that dark and wants to go lighter , I always lift it to what I can , and put more of a 6n or 7n semi over it.
Considering they are that dark I do this option to 1. Get them use to the colour and being that bit lighter and 2. Not having to work your ass of to get a nice clean blonde from a level 3-4 :)

i wouldnt try to go higher than a 6 on the first service, just too damaging. i would first use a surface clarifying shampoo, than a deeper clarify toward the cortex (like paul mitchell shampoo 2 & 3) just to try to loosen up those color molecules and get rid of any debris cloggin up the cuticle. also, use a protein and moisture masque just so its as healthy as can be before going so dramatic. (build it up just to tear it down lol) of course blow dry it before application

when someone that dark wants to go blonde, i always suggest low&hi lights and multiple visit until you can get her to the blonde she really wants. shes going to pull extremely YO so i also would suggest using a violet to neutralize because after the damage and being so porous, it would grab a B/ or G extremely ashy (unless that is what she will want)

Anyone below a base 4 id never do blonde. Its just a rule i have myself. 1. It takes ages to lift 2. The upkeep!! Xx

Ye i just advise them not to go that light. I think it looks so tacky and they normally dont keep the roots up it looks horrendous! Not good for my reputation lol. She would either take my advice as to what would suit her better or go somewhere else and have it done (which is fine as im busy enough to turn clients away) hope this doesnt sound harsh but i just cant be doing with hassle lol xx

Hi colourgirly, from experience the wella highlifts dont lift light enough for what the clients want even on a natural 5. What do you use to acheive this? Thanks

Neutralights from goldwell are packed with cool pigment for bases 2-5. There's 2 shades violet ash and ash ash (there's even a boosting cream to give them a little more lift) they lift upto 4 levels

Thankyou all for the words of advise. Shes my closest friends sister so its hard to say no but it does mean hopefully that she will lusten to me when i advise her. We will wait and see, and she knows its not an i stant result type of request. Will hopefully pop a picture up later for you all x

Heres the end result!

Attachments

• 1393700057484.jpg
    1393700057484.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 1393700076694.jpg
    1393700076694.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 1393700087891.jpg
    1393700087891.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 1393700101024.jpg
    1393700101024.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 1393700116905.jpg
    1393700116905.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 1393700129762.jpg
    1393700129762.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 216
Heres the end result!

Great..but it was nowhere near black to start with. A 4 or 5 at most, in fact the ends look lighter in some placed

Yeah when she got here and i looked again it was around a 5-4. She used to colour it black so i remembered it being much darker. Was relieved it wasnt lol. There was a little old colour that had lifted in on the last few inches.

Ye defo not a 4 more of a 5/6 for sure

Goldwell neutralights are beautiful to lift to a base 6 :)

She is sat in my very bright sunshiney kitchen so yeah it looks lighter. When i held up my wella colour chart, she was bang in the middle of a 4 and a 5 but anyways i chose to use 3 colours.
A 12/03 to create a very dark warm blonde, bleach and 9% to get a bright blonde and a 6/0 and 6% for a slightly lighter brown to diffuse the stark contrast between the blondes and her natural colour.
I have to say i was really pleased with the end result and so was she.
Looked fab when she pulled it back as it showed all the colours beautifully :)

Latest posts

Back