Nearly qualified and very scared

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren89

Reaction score
Hiya Geeks,

I'm due to qualify my Level 3 in 6 weeks. I'm really scared and don't feel I've learnt much and feel I'm not good enough to work in a salon as a level 3 qualified hairdresser.

Did anyone else feel like this?

I daren't apply for jobs but have been looking for wok experience as I havn't worked in a salon for nearly 2 years, but have had no luck.
Would you leave it a couple of weeks and go round them again or will it look too desperate?

Hi, I felt exactly the same! I would recommend going to Vidal Sassoon, they are the best in the world in my opinion & as you are fresh they should take you on & train you again there way. X

Ahh don't be scAred from what I have read when u have replied u seem very knowledgeable and confident I'm sure u will be fine
Well done honey xx

I really can't afford any more training until I get working.

I'm fine with colouring but everything else I panic with.

I dunno if it will get better once I get into a salon :confused: but I'm even struggling with getting a placement.

You'll be fine, you have all that study behind you. Best wishes. x

i assume you cut friends and familys hair etc? and probably feel confident with this. i think you probably have just a bit of cold feet syndrome. i was the same, it took me a long time to feel as good as other stylists and peers. its good to be wary and not cocky with your skills untill you get comfortable with your own skills, but you will only suceed by pushing yourself.
most salons will require trade testing and if you pass that test then you will know you are good enough,
go for it, you have worked hard for your papers so use them xxx

The best piece of advice given to me when I first started out was 'fake it til you make it'.

Try to remember that you've got the know how you just don't have the experience. Employers will hopefully understand that and as far as clients go they will assume you know exactly what you are doing!!!! So fake it my lovely. Good luck

Jacqui x

Thanx for the replies.

I feel better knowing that other people felt the same.
Mind the thought of a trade test scares the life out of me :Scared:

Love 'fake it til you make it' definatley going to follow that advice.

Thanks everyone.

Hi jst wondering if you have had any luck with applying for placements/jobs? i felt exactly the same as you and im still not confident and feel everything i do could of had slight tweaks to improve it but no one else ever notices so i guess its just the way we are! most good salons will provide more education whilst youre working for them so i would reccomend you do some reasearch online and see if theres any salons in your area recruiting! :) good luck! xxx

Hi jst wondering if you have had any luck with applying for placements/jobs? i felt exactly the same as you and im still not confident and feel everything i do could of had slight tweaks to improve it but no one else ever notices so i guess its just the way we are! most good salons will provide more education whilst youre working for them so i would reccomend you do some reasearch online and see if theres any salons in your area recruiting! :) good luck! xxx

I've been round loads of salons, some twice, and had no luck at all. X

hi, i feel your pain! I qualified as level 2 last year and am in my thirties so I had pretty much zero chance of being employed as a junior stylist, I was very nervous when it got to the end of college, and it's so true you really do have to fake it, I wanted to push through the nerves but didnt have a salon to do it in so once I qualified I went mobile part time (starting off with friends and family) and pretended I was confident (petrified with colours!!)

I bought more practise heads and at home in my own time I practised practised practised! I've only been doing part time hours on my own now since last august, and have now got over 30 regular clients, and trust me, my confidence has grown loads, especially in cutting and foils. I am always on here asking for colour advice as i find this site an invaluable resource and there are some ace experienced hairdressers on here to ask for sound advice.

you're young enough, bite the bullet and go for it, it will be a few months of having to go to the salon and what i call "do it afraid" but do it anyway, you'll reap the rewards when you're confidence grows, there really is no susbstitute for experience and practise.

You'll look back and be glad you went for it! all the best

hi, i feel your pain! I qualified as level 2 last year and am in my thirties so I had pretty much zero chance of being employed as a junior stylist, I was very nervous when it got to the end of college, and it's so true you really do have to fake it, I wanted to push through the nerves but didnt have a salon to do it in so once I qualified I went mobile part time (starting off with friends and family) and pretended I was confident (petrified with colours!!)

I bought more practise heads and at home in my own time I practised practised practised! I've only been doing part time hours on my own now since last august, and have now got over 30 regular clients, and trust me, my confidence has grown loads, especially in cutting and foils. I am always on here asking for colour advice as i find this site an invaluable resource and there are some ace experienced hairdressers on here to ask for sound advice.

you're young enough, bite the bullet and go for it, it will be a few months of having to go to the salon and what i call "do it afraid" but do it anyway, you'll reap the rewards when you're confidence grows, there really is no susbstitute for experience and practise.

You'll look back and be glad you went for it! all the best

Thank you, it's so good to here other people felt the same.

I'm going to go get some more practice heads, as there's a few cut's I want to practice and I feel my blow dries are slipping at the minute as I'm so busy at college. So need to practice them.

Were did you get your heads from if you don't mind me asking?

Hi there,

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while :lol:

I qualify with nvq 2 in June and I am sooo nervous!! Reading this forum I feel I am very lucky because I have a job two days a week in a salon. I wash hair, sweep the floors, make coffee and watch the stylists....always asking lots of questions:lol:
I am taking my Mum in on Monday and I'm going to cut her hair!! I'm already nervous but my boss is lovely and has said she'll go through it with me, I worry they will expect me to be super confident with my cutting:confused: I am definately not!!

Anyway, good luck to you....I am so pleased I found this forum, I am sure it will be of great use to me :green:

Latest posts

Back