Need a confidence boost?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jee-nails

Reaction score
I did my training last summer and have done litttle or no nails since. I keep telling my self that Im not good enough to do anybodys nails, but then again without some practice I never will be. Today I decided to go to a salon to get my own nails done, well why cant I have the beautiful nails that Id love to do on others?
Firstly she did no prep whatsoever, she didnt even ask me to wash my hands! Even I know how to do a full prep. She got stuck in and removed the natural shine from all my nails. Next she applied white tips(fin from NSI). Some of these were placed on crooked (I can put these on straight too!) She applied white and then pink acrylic and did her zones but my nails are unnaturally high and are so thick that I can imagine filling down must be a favourite job of hers!!! She buffed them all over and then applied a coat of perma gloss which has given them a wonderful shine. They do look nice and to the untrained eye they would be perfect, although the fact that they are crooked is starting to bother me. This whole experience took 2 hrs and set me back 65 euro (about £43). This girl has been doing nails for 3 yrs and did her training with NSI.
Now my point is that like all of you ,I have paid good money for my training, I know how to do a proper prep, I know how to apply tips, I know how to apply pink and white acrylic although I need lots of practice to get it 100%, and I can do a set on my friends in 2 1/2 hrs including prep.They are not perfect of course but then neither were the ones I got today. So new techs, we are not as bad as we think we are. We just need to realise that some of the fully qualified techs out there with years of experience are not perfect either, and we need to stop beating ourselves up for not being as good as we think everybody else is.

I never ask my clients to wash their hands. I use a solution similar to the ones used in hospitals. Washing hands can cause major probs befor l&p application.

Well my point was that she didnt sanitize mine or her hands and did NO prep whatsoever!! Im not trying to put her down, my point is just that Im not as bad as I think I am. She even said that if one 'pops off' and I go back within two weeks for a rebalance, that they will replace it for free!

Great thread, although i dont ask my clients to wash their hands i do cool blue first....

after i trained i did 5 clients free and then went out and charged lower prices and adv that i had only jus qualified but its best to just practise, practise and more practise, i am amazed at how far i have come and looking back at the nails i was doing in september i have progressed so much x

I had an experience like this a few years back. She charged top price for gels. there was no consultation, no apex, she blended the tips with acetone and they were lifting before I got home! I had to redo them when I got home, but it was a huge lesson to me that just because you've been doing it years (she had been at it for 5) doesn't make you good - practice, good training and skill does!

Latest posts

Back