Need a little colour advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsC82

Reaction score
Just after a little bit of advice/second opinion. I’ve currently started back working in the salon after a long break. A client came to me for roots done,she was blonde, I’d say her mods and ends are about a 12/0-10/38 i could tell it wasn’t bleached so used a 12/11, natural base 6-7 the colour looked fine, when she returned 6 weeks later she had said it had been ok but a little gold. So I used 12/89. It’s been about 4 weeks and has said it’s still too gold. She isn’t being funny at all and I appreciate her honesty. She is coming again on a few weeks for me to sort it but my question is what can I use now? And I’ve been using velvasilk (Alan Howard’s own brand) is significantly cheaper so I’m now wondering if this is the issue. So I’m considering using wella 12/96 for the next application. As this is the brand I train with albeit a good few years ago. I feel like I’ve had a great few weeks colouring and getting my confidence back and this is really throwing me. Can anyone please offer me some advice. Thanks in advance xx

Wella high lift take a long development time.to deposit their tone, so make sure you're leaving on long enough.
Do y0u develop under heat? If so I'd advise leaving 10mins between completion of application and heat as the product needs time to be absorbed before it swells.

As to which shade- what did you think of the end result, and how it looked when she came in for her second appointment? Did y0u see a band? How different from her previous did it look and what kind of difference?

Personally I have found anything Wella/6 to come out warmer so I avoid these shades.
I have found mixing 12/11 with 12/89 to be most successful at reducing warmth, and keeping it off as /89 by itself doesn't quite neutralise the yellow, but /11 is not intense enough.

I've no idea what velvasilk is so I can't help you there.

Latest posts

Back