Need basic colour help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey guys newbie here who's just recently got her level 2. Probably gonna be a pain but please bear with me...

Basically I've just got my level 2 but not going on the floor until i build up more confidence. I flew through my two years at college with my tutor ticking things off that I hadn't even practised before! (apparently the tutor gets a reward for the more people they pass) and my salon thought that one day a week at college and no salon training was enough (and they were crap at explaining things when I asked them)

When it comes to colours I am pretty confident with the actual applying and different techniques, but it's the choosing and theory behind it that I'm struggling with... So I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any basic info/tips on choosing colour/corrections/toners, or even know a good website etc. YouTube videos only seem to be good for learning techniques and not the actually theory behind it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the very vague question! 😁 x

The best thing to do is really familiarize yourself with the color wheel, and how each color affects the other colors. Formulating comes with experience for most. Practice practice practice. When you see someone in line, look at their hair, think what you would do and what you would apply and so forth. Itll come to you soon!

The Colour Book by Tracey Lloyd is amazing for getting to grips with colour theory. It also comes with a CD so you can test your knowledge. I highly recommend it

This is what I'm.doing as we speak! Lol

Attachments

• 1418901956240.jpg
    1418901956240.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 243
I just struggle getting my head around using my knowledge of this on actual clients!

Thanks Kayla I'll look into that!

What colour house are you using?

I don't know about other houses but Matrix has its own colour handbook, csn get them from my supplier, I'm assuming others do them too?
They are a great source of valuable info.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh it's actually Matrix we use. I'll speak to the boss, thanks!

Can you get on a matrix colour course? OR get a rep in for training? Branded training is sooo much better than college, and the better you know your colour house the more you'll understand. Also I wouldnt fret too much, start off doing basic colours and when you feel more confident try more complex things, you really only start to understand it by doing a client, and thinking "hm i like that but it could be better if i did this next time" etc. Just dont worry youre in a better position than most level 2s, you have a salon to gain experience in :)

I was in the same position as you when I got my level 2 so I went to a different salon and just finished my level 3 and feel more confident and ive been on a few wella courses and its been really good :)

Can you get on a matrix colour course? OR get a rep in for training? Branded training is sooo much better than college, and the better you know your colour house the more you'll understand. Also I wouldnt fret too much, start off doing basic colours and when you feel more confident try more complex things, you really only start to understand it by doing a client, and thinking "hm i like that but it could be better if i did this next time" etc. Just dont worry youre in a better position than most level 2s, you have a salon to gain experience in :)
This x100:Love:

I just struggle getting my head around using my knowledge of this on actual clients!

This is what I found difficult! Actually putting that theory to a client. I passed all my theory rests with flying colours, but then seeing an actual client, identifying tones, whilst being confident was so challenging! x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

This is what I found difficult! Actually putting that theory to a client. I passed all my theory rests with flying colours, but then seeing an actual client, identifying tones, whilst being confident was so challenging! x

You mean like being able to determine natural depth and natural tones?

I find the same 🙈 I'm pretty good with depths but identifying tones unless it's anything but gold I'm rubbish 😂

I find the same 🙈 I'm pretty good with depths but identifying tones unless it's anything but gold I'm rubbish 😂

Push the hair up with your hands and don't look right up to it, stay quite far away. You'll literally see the tone running through

You mean like being able to determine natural depth and natural tones?

Natural tones, plus it took me a whole year to understand what ash was haha. i found it so confusing because anything that was cool, could be classed as ash, so i thought khaki was ash, then i thought lilac was ash, then i thought pearl was ash! Now i understand that ash is a mix of all 3 and is often a natural tone.

I couldn't apply the colour wheel to the hair. Unless the hair was neon green, or pillar box red, i couldn't see colour, if that makes sense!

I just think its lots of practice, patience and working with people who inspire you to do well. x

Natural tones, plus it took me a whole year to understand what ash was haha. i found it so confusing because anything that was cool, could be classed as ash, so i thought khaki was ash, then i thought lilac was ash, then i thought pearl was ash! Now i understand that ash is a mix of all 3 and is often a natural tone.

I couldn't apply the colour wheel to the hair. Unless the hair was neon green, or pillar box red, i couldn't see colour, if that makes sense!

I just think its lots of practice, patience and working with people who inspire you to do well. x

Do you still struggle?

Do you still struggle?

No not anymore haha, this was when I first started training, I just over complicated things x

No not anymore haha, this was when I first started training, I just over complicated things x

Ohhh I think we should start up a thread for people to ask basic question like 'how do identify natural depth' and stuff would be useful

Yeah but I don't know how to explain how to, I think you just need to train your eye haha x

Latest posts

Back