Need help! Acetone on oak table

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cb24

Reaction score
Can anyone help!I was doing my mum's nails and some acetone went through my towel on to a oak table.I pulled the towel off.but the oak table is a mess it's all dried hard and had the fluff off the towel.any ideas on how to remove it please without causing too much damage to the table.Thanks.

Sorry to say but the surface is ruined. If it was varnished the acetone will have melted the varnish in the same way as it melts Gel Polish. If it wasn't varnished and was just 'untreated' wood (unlikely if it's oak) then the acetone will have soaked into the wood bleaching out the colour.

You can restore it, but it will need to be done professionally, the damaged varnish will need to be sanded off and the new surface treated and re-varnished. If it was 'untreated' wood it will need to be sanded back and treated.

You'll need a proper french polisher or furniture restorer to do it

As it was accidental, it may be also worth putting in an insurance claim.

I did the same thing to my mums little coffee table..ooops! We now have a little ring (from the lid), safe to say she was not impressed and honestly we just cover it with a coaster...Good luck xoxo

Latest posts

Back