Need some advice, re: removing acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailz73

Reaction score
Hi all

just need a bit of advice for a change lol..

have a lady coming to me who wanted infill on her acrylics.. i dont do acrylics.. but she said gel would be ok instead to infill .. i said i may have to soak off and re-apply new set..

anyway .. i asked her where she hd them done and she said abroad where she lives some of the time.. she said it wa a proper salon etc..

now then .. i havent had to remove any acrylic yet .. so..i was thinking first of all would it be best to remove and re-apply..
or
can you infill with gel ??? i use Harmony GHG .. lady doesnt know what brand acrylic was used.. but was pink and whites..

thanks in advance

Sarah xx

You CAN do an infill with the gel. I've done it when switching clients from one product to the other. But I don't recommend going back and forth. (to mention that to her)

I am no expert but i have never heard of infilling a nail with gel when the rest is acrylic! I know you shouldnt mix two different types of acrylic on the nail so surely you cant mix two completely different systems? Also surely it would look completely different on the nail too? Very intrigued to see if this is actually allowed to be done!

You're best off soaking off the acrylics in our acetone for 45 minutes - hour first to ensure the acrylic will remove easily and then this will be good for you as you can start with a new set, trying to put gel over the top may cause the gels to lift or peel if it doesn't agree with the acrylic underneath, once they're soaked off you will know what is being used and that there will be no problems HTH xx

Hi Ladies

Thanks for all the tips and advice.. have decided to go for it and soak off.. and pray that my lady has not told be fibbers about where she had them done lol.. i dont want to be an all day soak and file lol..

thanks again..

Sarah xxx

I am no expert but i have never heard of infilling a nail with gel when the rest is acrylic! I know you shouldnt mix two different types of acrylic on the nail so surely you cant mix two completely different systems? Also surely it would look completely different on the nail too? Very intrigued to see if this is actually allowed to be done!

You CAN actually infill an acrylic set with gel and vice versa. You're just placing something else on top of an already cured and grown out product. You just file off majority of the bulk, cleanse, and apply the new product over it. There shouldn't be a problem with the product adhering after the filing.

If you're gonna soak it off, I suggest clipping off any tips and filing down the bulk first to save yourself some time, and to save client's fingers from sitting in acetone for too long.

Last edited:
You CAN actually infill an acrylic set with gel and vice versa. You're just placing something else on top of an already cured and grown out product. You just file off majority of the bulk, cleanse, and apply the new product over it. There shouldn't be a problem with the product adhering after the filing.

If you're gonna soak it off, I suggest clipping off any tips and filing down the bulk first to save yourself some time, and to save client's fingers from sitting in acetone for too long.

Learn something new every day. It baffles me how you can mix together two different systems (acrylic and gel) but not didnt brands of acrylics... or am I just being thick :?:

It's not really mixing when placed on top of one another like for infills. Mixing would be more like using CND monomer with young nails polymer or ibd gel bonder with nsi gel system... That's a big no-no. xx

Gel is actually acrylic just in a different form.it would be no different than using a different acrylic to the one that's on the nail already.I think it would be fine to infill with gel I've used gel on top of my acrylics before.

If your soaking off File down as much of the acrylic on the nail as possible and cut down the tips.leave in the acetone for 15 mins take them out use a orange wood stick and carefully scrape as much of as you can and then put them back in until they are off.

This is just how I would do it.xx

Can I make a suggestion wrt removing the acrylic? 45-1hr is a very long time for a client to sit with their fingers in a bowl of acetone, it would put me off ever having a soak-off if I thought I would have to sit around for next to an hour, unable to read or have a cuppa, so what I do is take 2 square nail pads, put one on top of the other and cut the four corners off so that you have 10 bits of nail pad. Soak them in acetone, apply to the nail, cover with foil and leave for 10mins.

Make client a cuppa, get them a mag. After 10mins remove foil and pad carefully, file of the acrylic that has gone like chewing gum, soak pads again, re-wrap with foil and leave another 10mins. Repeat a couple more times until acrylic has been removed. All in all it should take no longer than 30mins and client has their fingers free, you've only used 2 nail pads, everone's happy!

Acrylic and gel are exactly the same, just in a different format, like ice and water.

so what I do is take 2 square nail pads, put one on top of the other and cut the four corners off so that you have 10 bits of nail pad. Soak them in acetone, apply to the nail, cover with foil and leave for 10mins.

Even quicker if you then place their hands in heated mitts (or warm towels if you dont have mitts)

Should only take 30 minutes....unless your trying to remove nails done at a discount salon lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure it's not MMA, that really doesn't sit well with current products, you might find it lifts off very easily. See how well the soak off goes and judge from that. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back