Need to cancel two clients, how do I go about it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be honest with your clients and re arrange their apts, I'm sure they will be very understanding:)

Everyone gets ill from time to time so I wouldn't give a discount.

Personally I feel there is nothing worse than having treatment done by someone who is clearly feeling unwell.

As for how to go about it, well surely that is just common sense....phone them, tell the truth and rearrange if you can. I don't see what other answer there would be to that :confused:

I am howling at that response, some people on here ask the daftest questions ha ha

You don't need to discount, just apologise and re book if you can. Don't worry about other people's opinions on whether to work while ill or not. If you feel you can't carry out the work to your full standards then cancel. Hope your ok x

I am howling at that response, some people on here ask the daftest questions ha ha

Completely agree. What do you want us to say? You "need" to cancel your clients as you know today that you will be poorly tomorrow. So do just that.
Phone them, dont text that is rude, and go out of your way to get them back in. Recommend them somewhere else if they are desperate.

just me ;)

There's no need to be rude, and to make fun of a question any one asks.

I don't think the OP asked how to cancel, i'm sure she knows how to make a call. From what i gathered, it was most likely the way to handle it without her clients getting upset/not rebooking/going elsewhere etc. yes, maybe common sense, but it was a question directed to us nonetheless, so she should not be ridiculed.

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say nothing at all.

Love & respect.

The replies to this post are shocking and salon geek at its worst. Op has asked for advice on how to cancel appointments that she doesn't want to cancel, and how to keep clients as she feels her treatment prices are low enough as it is. She is evidently ill and who is anybody to say how ill she should be to cancel her appointments. Replies such as I would have to be hospitalised, not feeling 100% is not good enough are not helpful, constructive or let's face it nice answers. For all you know op may be young, first time ill, not had to cancel or phone in ill before. All she is asking for is advice off other people on a situation she has found herself in, not be jumped on, by quite honestly mean people. What is the point in this site being here to give advice if people find themselves bitched at? Some people really should be ashamed of themselves. One of my kids was poorly for nearly 18mths and all my clients knew that their appointments were subject to change if my son became ill and if they had any illness themselves they must let me know as I would have to cancel. Guess what? I kept all my clients and still have the same ones now why? Because people understand that things happen in life and everybody gets ill. Even now if anybody came to an appointment with me or to my home who had been ill the couple of days before they would be asked to leave! 1 cancelled appointment is better than a family being ill all for money!!!!!!!

Sorry you are feeling ill hunni, hope you're better soon. If I was you I'd phone them, if they don't answer leave a message asking them to contact you re. Their appointment. Explain you're unwell and give them another appointment time, I would offer a 10% discount as despite you k owing your treatments are already a great price regular clients will always be your bread and butter and the ones who pay your bills, 10% now to keep a client for years will be worth it. Xxx

There's no need to be rude, and to make fun of a question any one asks.

I don't think the OP asked how to cancel, i'm sure she knows how to make a call. From what i gathered, it was most likely the way to handle it without her clients getting upset/not rebooking/going elsewhere etc. yes, maybe common sense, but it was a question directed to us nonetheless, so she should not be ridiculed.

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say nothing at all.

Love & respect.

I think she is looking for us to say "its ok to cancel clients, we all do it" fact is we dont. Most of us work through it. I certainly wouldn't be cancelling tomorrows clients if I didnt feel well today. She WILL lose clients with this attitude, In fact a lot of my own clients are inherited from another stylist who was frequently poorly.
What else can be said other than "ring the client and tell them that you are going to be too poorly tomorrow to do their treatment"? I struggle to see how saying this can be construed as rude.

just me ;)

I think she is looking for us to say "its ok to cancel clients, we all do it" fact is we dont. Most of us work through it. I certainly wouldn't be cancelling tomorrows clients if I didnt feel well today. She WILL lose clients with this attitude, In fact a lot of my own clients are inherited from another stylist who was frequently poorly.
What else can be said other than "ring the client and tell them that you are going to be too poorly tomorrow to do their treatment"? I struggle to see how saying this can be construed as rude.

just me ;)

We have all had to work, at some point in our lives, feeling unwell. It happens. But if someone is genuinely feeling like crap and obviously been ill for days, why is this classed as a bad attitude? the question would not have been asked, if she was just feeling a little under the weather. she is obviously feeling to ill to physically work, so what is the problem? Why do people feel the need to look down at others, just because they may be prepared to 'die' rather than rebook an appointment.

And FYI, I did not state your post was rude, it was the comment above yours that was uncalled for.(which you happened to 'like'!)

The replies to this post are shocking and salon geek at its worst. Op has asked for advice on how to cancel appointments that she doesn't want to cancel, and how to keep clients as she feels her treatment prices are low enough as it is. She is evidently ill and who is anybody to say how ill she should be to cancel her appointments. Replies such as I would have to be hospitalised, not feeling 100% is not good enough are not helpful, constructive or let's face it nice answers. For all you know op may be young, first time ill, not had to cancel or phone in ill before. All she is asking for is advice off other people on a situation she has found herself in, not be jumped on, by quite honestly mean people. What is the point in this site being here to give advice if people find themselves bitched at? Some people really should be ashamed of themselves. One of my kids was poorly for nearly 18mths and all my clients knew that their appointments were subject to change if my son became ill and if they had any illness themselves they must let me know as I would have to cancel. Guess what? I kept all my clients and still have the same ones now why? Because people understand that things happen in life and everybody gets ill. Even now if anybody came to an appointment with me or to my home who had been ill the couple of days before they would be asked to leave! 1 cancelled appointment is better than a family being ill all for money!!!!!!!

Sorry you are feeling ill hunni, hope you're better soon. If I was you I'd phone them, if they don't answer leave a message asking them to contact you re. Their appointment. Explain you're unwell and give them another appointment time, I would offer a 10% discount as despite you k owing your treatments are already a great price regular clients will always be your bread and butter and the ones who pay your bills, 10% now to keep a client for years will be worth it. Xxx

Fair points made here but I think saying SG at its worst it taking it a bit far.
Unfortunately when a lot of people post a differing viewpoint from the Op based on the scant information given it can sour a thread, but no one is being nasty just stating their opinion.

Of course this situation is a judgement call, and anything contagious that could be passed on to clients may warrant a cancellation of an appointment.

Some clients no matter how serious the situation will never rebook with you if you cancel short notice. Most expect you to work through anything whilst reserving the right to cancel you at a moments notice when they are poorly!
That is the customer service Industry we are in.

I once joked with a client that I was terrified of falling and breaking my arm, she looked me in the eye and said "better to break your leg then you could still do my nails"

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the main question of the thread, as the only way to cancel is to phone and explain and offer an alternative appointment. Offer a small discount if you can afford it, don't if you can't, but no matter what be prepared to lose their custom.

That is not being nasty just stating how it is out there.

When you are self employed and reliant on your earnings you can't afford to turn business away, if you don't work you don't earn. It's only when you have a safety net of other income or are an employee who gets paid for sick days that cancelling becomes a possibility.

I'd like to thank people who have been nice to me and gave me constructive answers and those who have stuck up for me. <3 I appreciate it.
This isn't the first time i have been attacked by other geeks, getting on their high horse, sadly i actually expect it, because half of them who like being harsh and saying they are made of stone blah blah just feed off leaving harsh comments, because they seem like they can handle anything.

If you must know i was on medication for a unknown rash well he thought it was flea bites, i walked my parents dogs and the one kept going up into my room when i was going to my other job (And no i haven't worked on clients for the past two weeks as my parents went on holidays), my doctor prescribed me tablets for a week or so, however sadly i have had a reaction, well a side effect to them which has made me ill, so vomiting, dizziness, the works so nothing contagious as far as i know , something i couldn't stop really, i stopped taking them obviously and letting them leave my system.

I hadn't managed to keep food down for two days, i was dehydrated and weak, felt drained and psychically couldn't clean the house, move around much as it made me sick, nothing, been sat in doors moping about feeling awful.
Sounds pathetic but some reason my body is terrible at doing the whole illness, it hits me like a sack of **** basically...

But yes, there you have it, something that couldn't be helped.. And i really have no bloody energy to listen to petty comments, about saying you'd go to work if you was on your death bed!! Personally if i'm not 100% there for myself, i'm not gonna be for my clients, so my decent opinion is too cancel!
End of, all i asked for was how i go about it, and yes i never mentioned about texting!! I called them, i have now sorted it, while half you geeks decided to leave measly harsh comments!! I only started out in June, and i have never canceled!! And they are re-booked in, so no they haven't gone else where, i will be seeing them Monday where they are now booked in for..

And aye, i am getting angry writing this because i am sick of reading comments from people who thinks their crap smells different from anyone else, at the end of the day i only asked about how to compensate, and you all decided to question on how ill i was? If i feel i am ill, i am bloody ill! And no i hadn't gone to the doctors to say i had a reaction i stopped taking the tablets and feeling a little better each day, so i have saved wasting doctors time too..

I'm hardly selfish.. Geez..

P.s, if anymore geeks wanna comment about this or leave anymore petty comments, save your breathe. I am done listen to them!!

Fair points made here but I think saying SG at its worst it taking it a bit far.
Unfortunately when a lot of people post a differing viewpoint from the Op based on the scant information given it can sour a thread, but no one is being nasty just stating their opinion.

Of course this situation is a judgement call, and anything contagious that could be passed on to clients may warrant a cancellation of an appointment.

Some clients no matter how serious the situation will never rebook with you if you cancel short notice. Most expect you to work through anything whilst reserving the right to cancel you at a moments notice when they are poorly!
That is the customer service Industry we are in.

I once joked with a client that I was terrified of falling and breaking my arm, she looked me in the eye and said "better to break your leg then you could still do my nails"

I'm sorry but I still don't understand the main question of the thread, as the only way to cancel is to phone and explain and offer an alternative appointment. Offer a small discount if you can afford it, don't if you can't, but no matter what be prepared to lose their custom.

That is not being nasty just stating how it is out there.

When you are self employed and reliant on your earnings you can't afford to turn business away, if you don't work you don't earn. It's only when you have a safety net of other income or are an employee who gets paid for sick days that cancelling becomes a possibility.

I went in to labour a few days before I was due to go on maternity leave and one client actually said that these things cam take days so I didnt HAVE to cancel her lol. She said it that jokey way which is sort of "testing the waters" lol

just me ;)

I'd like to thank people who have been nice to me and gave me constructive answers and those who have stuck up for me. <3 I appreciate it.
This isn't the first time i have been attacked by other geeks, getting on their high horse, sadly i actually expect it, because half of them who like being harsh and saying they are made of stone blah blah just feed off leaving harsh comments, because they seem like they can handle anything.

If you must know i was on medication for a unknown rash well he thought it was flea bites, i walked my parents dogs and the one kept going up into my room when i was going to my other job (And no i haven't worked on clients for the past two weeks as my parents went on holidays), my doctor prescribed me tablets for a week or so, however sadly i have had a reaction, well a side effect to them which has made me ill, so vomiting, dizziness, the works so nothing contagious as far as i know , something i couldn't stop really, i stopped taking them obviously and letting them leave my system.

I hadn't managed to keep food down for two days, i was dehydrated and weak, felt drained and psychically couldn't clean the house, move around much as it made me sick, nothing, been sat in doors moping about feeling awful.
Sounds pathetic but some reason my body is terrible at doing the whole illness, it hits me like a sack of **** basically...

But yes, there you have it, something that couldn't be helped.. And i really have no bloody energy to listen to petty comments, about saying you'd go to work if you was on your death bed!! Personally if i'm not 100% there for myself, i'm not gonna be for my clients, so my decent opinion is too cancel!
End of, all i asked for was how i go about it, and yes i never mentioned about texting!! I called them, i have now sorted it, while half you geeks decided to leave measly harsh comments!! I only started out in June, and i have never canceled!! And they are re-booked in, so no they haven't gone else where, i will be seeing them Monday where they are now booked in for..

And aye, i am getting angry writing this because i am sick of reading comments from people who thinks their crap smells different from anyone else, at the end of the day i only asked about how to compensate, and you all decided to question on how ill i was? If i feel i am ill, i am bloody ill! And no i hadn't gone to the doctors to say i had a reaction i stopped taking the tablets and feeling a little better each day, so i have saved wasting doctors time too..

P.s, if anymore geeks wanna comment about this or leave anymore petty comments, save your breathe. I am done listen to them!!

Stay classy ;)

just me ;)

When I was young my mother would of said "if your well enough to watch tv, write, be on salon geek your well enough to go to school" see that's the work ethic, character building. Most people who have been in this profession many years do not take days off the way people do in office or hospitals, people rely on us, so as in the words of Shakespeare's Macbeth 1605 "we fail! But screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail" and erm suffer a little it's part of the job being reliable, save your cancellations for emergencies.

As per OPs post I will close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back