Nervous starting out on my own!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious

Reaction score
So I am running across many problems. I've received an opportunity to work with a friend who does hair in his salon. He also has a girl who does makeup so he's bringing the nail aspect to the salon. (It's about three suites put together in a building where other artists rent out the rooms and etc for services so a mini salon)
So yay clientele and new beginnings.

His clients are super excited for the whole thing and I feel it puts pressure on me to live up to what they are expecting.

I do not feel prepared or ready I'm barely finishing school. There are other independent nail techs in the building but I don't want to go bother them when I come across a problem.... I feel I should work in a salon first with other professionals but there are too many Asian salons where o live so I am unsure . (I've had bad experiences with MOST of them) Is this a good or bad idea? He is providing everything I need. Pedicures I am comfortable with. But my acrylic sets are what worry me. They don't last more than 2 weeks before popping or breaking off. I know the best professionals can go weeks or months with no problems. So I'm VERY worried im not where I am supposed to be and don't know how to fix this. Could it be the glue or primer I am using? I am using premium nails acid primer and nsi polybond. Cnd sculpting powder and moxie. How I prep: Cnd cuticle away, push back cuticle, lightly file excess skin off, use cuticle pusher to scrape off dried skin off nail plate, I also have the white ceramic cuticle bit from TODAC I tried using it but not sure what I was doing so I stopped that, then brush off excess dust, apply bondaid, tips, the primer. I'm usually good about not hitting the cuticle but i don't know what it is someone please give me tips and correct me.

I've also done two nail biters nails with tips and they popped off not even a week later! Should I try creating a free edge and use forms?

I'm going to talk to my instructor next week and ask these same questions but I thought I'd ask here as well from more professionals with experience. Please be nice, thank you!

Not qualified in acrylics but I have a few point after reading :) What do you mean file excess skin off during prep? And do you deactivate cuticle away with water and cleanse and dehydrate the nail thoroughly?
Also, I would recommend sticking to one brand rather than mix and matching, try sticking to all CND seeing as you use some products already! If prep is all done correctly, this should stop any problems and prevent service breakdown!
With your nail biters it is worth trying to sculpt if they're very short as tips may not have much to stick to and you might struggle building a strong apex!
I'm only qualified in gel extensions so sorry if this makes no sense!

Not qualified in acrylics but I have a few point after reading :) What do you mean file excess skin off during prep? And do you deactivate cuticle away with water and cleanse and dehydrate the nail thoroughly?
Also, I would recommend sticking to one brand rather than mix and matching, try sticking to all CND seeing as you use some products already! If prep is all done correctly, this should stop any problems and prevent service breakdown!
With your nail biters it is worth trying to sculpt if they're very short as tips may not have much to stick to and you might struggle building a strong apex!
I'm only qualified in gel extensions so sorry if this makes no sense!
(Lost my account info somehow) After apply the cuticle away I use a 180 grit file to file any skin hanging around instead of nipping it off. Saw it in a YouTube video since I'm too scared to cut cuticle lol. I do not wash it away with water maybe that could be the problem I would just wipe the nails down with alcohol, file the shine away from the nail plate and apply bondaid. Maybe that could be my issue using different branded products. I will look into purchasing cnd only! I've yet to even do a sculptured set :( and I've always wanted to play with gel since acrylic is smelly and I think it'd be a better alternative. If you don't mind what brand of Gel do you like best?

Ah ok, haven't heard of that method I'd be wary of that if your also removing the shine so not to thin the nail plate too much! Definitely deactivate the Cuticle away, anything remaining on the nail plate will cause lifting! Do you train in sculpts or will you be? I use CND Brisa, i also like INK Londons iJel.

So many things wrong, as mentioned above. Gel requires training, same as l&p. It's not a matter of painting it on.

Sounds as though you are struggling with prep a bit? Make sure the nail plate is free of absolutely everything, dead skin, product and dust. And try and stick with one brand and follow their instructions, I wouldn't mix so many brands.
I've only been qualified a few month and I've come on leaps working in a busy salon! It was daunting at first but you learn from your mistakes much quicker.
Have offers on and make it clear you're newly qualified. People don't mind so much if you're nice, honest and they're getting their treatment cheaper :) oh and practise practise practise! Practise makes perfect xx

Ah ok, haven't heard of that method I'd be wary of that if your also removing the shine so not to thin the nail plate too much! Definitely deactivate the Cuticle away, anything remaining on the nail plate will cause lifting! Do you train in sculpts or will you be? I use CND Brisa, i also like INK Londons iJel.
I do use the same file to take the shine away and I don't over do it just enough to where the shine is removed. I did a set yesterday and removed remaining cuticle away with water so hopefully that helped! As well as dehydrating after I filed the The nail tip because I think I may have been transferring my natural oils to their nail plate while shaping the tip. Hopefully this helps. I do want to train in sculpting but don't know how to go about it since I don't think my city offer these types of classes.

So many things wrong, as mentioned above. Gel requires training, same as l&p. It's not a matter of painting it on.
Could you please elaborate more on what I'm doing wrong and counter to with some tips? This would be more helpful x

Sounds as though you are struggling with prep a bit? Make sure the nail plate is free of absolutely everything, dead skin, product and dust. And try and stick with one brand and follow their instructions, I wouldn't mix so many brands.
I've only been qualified a few month and I've come on leaps working in a busy salon! It was daunting at first but you learn from your mistakes much quicker.
Have offers on and make it clear you're newly qualified. People don't mind so much if you're nice, honest and they're getting their treatment cheaper :) oh and practise practise practise! Practise makes perfect xx
Yes I do feel my prep is a bit off :(
I haven't tried sticking to all one brand because of meh reviews on certain products within the brand but I will try this since your the second to say to stick to one brand! Thank you for this response

You need to use an entire system in order for the product to work properly. The steps will vary based on the system used. You need to deactivate Cuticle Away with soap and water, not just water. I can't comment with much help until you choose a system. For example, CND requires Scrubfresh. bond Aid is an OPI product and wouldn't be used whilst doing a CND service. Get yourself a curette and remove cuticle on the nail plate that way. Even little things can affect longevity.

You need to use an entire system in order for the product to work properly. The steps will vary based on the system used. You need to deactivate Cuticle Away with soap and water, not just water. I can't comment with much help until you choose a system. For example, CND requires Scrubfresh. bond Aid is an OPI product and wouldn't be used whilst doing a CND service. Get yourself a curette and remove cuticle on the nail plate that way. Even little things can affect longevity.
I've heard reviews saying scrubfresh is useless or that it's basically acetone and alcohol so I've strayed away from it and just used what I received in school the bondaid / OPI system (dont really like it) so I started mix and matching but I will give it a shot and just purchase The whole cnd system anyway as using different brands seems to be my main issue here! I have a curette but haven't used it for that but I will try removing it that way instead. My instructor doesn't even tell us these things.. Thanks a bunch x

Instructors for the most part will only give you the basics. It's up to everyone to do their own research, and seek advice from reputable sources. Scrubfresh is hands down the best dehydrator . It's part of the CND system, but many techs use it with other systems because it's the best. What source did you get information from saying Scrubfresh was useless? Bottom line: use complete systems, do proper prep and application and seek further training when necessary. Good luck.

Are you adding enough strength to the apex of the nail?

Are you adding enough strength to the apex of the nail?
I believe the problem is somewhere along my prep as some of the nails tend to pop off clean easy a week or two later. Usually because the client will bump against something but still the whole tip and acrylic pop off clean

Was your course general beauty or just nails?

Latest posts

Back