Neutralising red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salon-sal

Reaction score
Advise please!
My daughter has had her hair dyed professionally dark red (4/6) but after a time she finds it lightens and the red remains. She now wants to kill the red completely and would like the end result to be a base 4-5 but no red at all. I have considered using a base 5 plus 3% on the roots and then adding a colour mix of ash to the tint for the lengths and ends. Would you consider that to be the best way? Thanks! :):irked:

Use a green based 5. Not sure what colours you use but in L'oreal a .7 and in redken a GN

Advise please!
My daughter has had her hair dyed professionally dark red (4/6) but after a time she finds it lightens and the red remains. She now wants to kill the red completely and would like the end result to be a base 4-5 but no red at all. I have considered using a base 5 plus 3% on the roots and then adding a colour mix of ash to the tint for the lengths and ends. Would you consider that to be the best way? Thanks! :):irked:
I would personally stick with a base 4 if it's prone to fading, with the 3%, but why use a mixtone, can't rememeber what the the green tone is as very rarley use it, but a 4.??? green. I'm gonna look that one up!

I would personally stick with a base 4 if it's prone to fading, with the 3%, but why use a mixtone, can't rememeber what the the green tone is as very rarley use it, but a 4.??? green. I'm gonna look that one up!
Now I know why I rarely use it, its cos it doesn't exist!! Just checked a couple of colour charts, natural ash .01 no, to warm still, mauve ash 0.2, 0.9 etc... definately no good, blue ash .1, is the one, one of my charts did say it had green undertones, and I'm sure in the past I've used it on my own hair, when I didn't want any red tones, mine is a base 4-5.

Only problem I've seen on my charts is .1 is only on 6.0 and lighter, so look like its back to your orignal plan to mixing with colour mix, but I'm not sure if this is available in green. I'm sure Persianista can advise you on that front.:confused:

Basic color theory...blue will not neutralize red....green is the contrasting color. Either lift past red, or use green as required. Dosen't sound like your line has one, so you must modify the underlying pigment.

My advice would be to just use a base 4 its dark enough to cover the red anyway , Ive done this loads of times and it covers but does fade first time so use the 3 % and 2nd time go for 6%

Debbie x

In L'Oreal the green ash is a .7
I use the green tonal colours a lot to produce cool browns on previously reddsh hair. That way yyou don't have to go too dark. If you put base 4 on its own it may be too dark, and the red tones would poke through.
I am surprised other colour ranges don't have a green ash option, the three ranges I use do.

Just checked Wella chart, 5/1 is ash brown.

It has to be a green ash not a blue ash or violet ash.

In L'Oreal the green ash is a .7
I use the green tonal colours a lot to produce cool browns on previously reddsh hair. That way yyou don't have to go too dark. If you put base 4 on its own it may be too dark, and the red tones would poke through.
I am surprised other colour ranges don't have a green ash option, the three ranges I use do.

Schwartzkopf don't have a green tone but the bases are very matt. They also do 0.11 to kill any warmth but as said before, ash is a bit rubbish at killing red.

From experience I have found the only way to be sure that red is not coming back through after a few washes is to strip it. I have found even a green tone doesn't last beyond 4 weeks.
The hair, of course, has to be tip top condition to strip and the only way the new colour will last is to take time and follow the correct procedure to ensure longevity.

Hi there.
Red tones always seems to be a problem.
Obviously I can't see your daughters hair, but seems like I would
add either Kolestons special mix 0/28 to the base shade. This is a green concentrate used to neutralise red tones. Or use 0/22 to the base shade. This is also a green/ash concentrate for neutralising slight red tones.
Do not use too much of these concentrates. I tend to add them as a few centimetres or inches to the mix.

Another concentrate you could use is:

Igora Royal
0.33 anti red
0.22 anti orange

In general, over prosessed/coloured hair will always fade anyway, leaving behind unwanted tones. Its a hard balancing act.
Also the darker the base you use, the more red you will disguise, but again putting dark bases on damaged over processed hair can result in the hair being far too dark, so I would choose a base shade which is a shade lighter than the target shade.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back