New and wanting a little advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazy_sunday

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Many thanks for reading my post.

My husband has decided to open a barbers shop (something he has wanted to do for some time), and we have rented a really large shop on a main road in a good part of town, which is surrounded by other shops and residential properties. It needs a bit of work (which we are currently doing – both day and night!) and it should be ready within the next month or so.

However, it is way too large for just him on his own, so we were thinking of “renting” out styling stations to other hairdressers who would work on a self-employed basis. We would supply all products, reception staff, gowns, equipment, refreshments, a booking system, business cards etc… all they would need is their own skill, time and any equipment which is personal to them (scissors, dryer, straightners etc). I want to try and appeal to people who want their own shop, but can't really afford to open one, I would be providing the shop, paying rates etc.

They would have to commit to a minimum number of hours per week, and every month decide on their “timetable”, so that forward bookings could be made. Other than that they would be able to work as many hours a day as they like per day.

To provide this service, we were thinking of paying the hair stylists, 30% of any revenue they make, increasing to 40% for anything they make over £1000 per week.

Do you think this is fair and is there anything that you would suggest, or anything we should be aware of ? Any comments, appreciated!

Many thanks all!

might not be much help to you, but the salon I used to work - and a few more round here, dont pay the rent a chairs, the self employed stylists pay the salon owners a percentage of their takings. At my last salon the boss provided everything (as you intended to) and the girls pay them 50% of what they take. good luck petal xx

Can't help you...

but I wanted to say Hi and welcome to Geek xxxxxx

Good luck in your new venture xxxxxx

Welcome to the site, hope you find it useful......... Im sure you will! x

Hi , and welcome to salon geek Mmm no I don't think it is very fair,
I don't think you would get many applications at those percentage rates .
but thats just my own personal opinion ,

Its usually the other way around they stay self employed and usually pay you 30% of everything they take and on this basis they would also supply their own equipment and products ect ,

but there are a few different ways of doing these things and room rental is good too , but people who rent may like their own opening hours and their own keys to do this , (I know I would ) .

room rental can be around from 30 to 100 pounds and upwards a week depending upon location.

There is also 50/50 with you supplying all the equipment and products, but there is more about this in the link below

Bit confusing at first all of this but ,
Heres a link that may help you some more , good luck :hug:x

Whats Required For 50/50 Or Rent A Chair

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back