New ANT Membership Rules

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Glynis*

Gooner Geek
Reaction score
Just received a letter from ANT with a Code of Practice and information on new membership rules. Is this the news you were talking about Samatha?

Hi Glynis, I suspect not.

I noticed this too - I don't qualify now to be a member as I have not done a 5 day training course - mine was only 4 days LOL.

i got the news letter this morning too

i have now just reread it...lol
i think the 5 day thing means you have to have been on 5 days worth of training
i guess im still okay...lol
someone please correct me if im wrong!??!

i think that its fabbio that to have your membership it is encouraging on going education

with my educator certification this has to be continually renewed and i my self love improving myself and doing classes... i feel that i need to keep tip top inorder to help my students get the best from me

Jess
xox

I think if any of you are thinking of renewing your membership, you should wait and see what is coming ..... MUCH better in every way!

glynis said:
Just received a letter from ANT with a Code of Practice and information on new membership rules. Is this the news you were talking about Samatha?
Just rang them and their not sure, said they have a meeting next week about the new membership rules, So I'm going to ring them back then, i have almost done my V.T.C.T in mani & pedi, done 2 days on acrylic, got another one in acrylic in may and booking for gel after that. so I have no idea at mo about if i can join?
XXXX

geeg said:
I think if any of you are thinking of renewing your membership, you should wait and see what is coming ..... MUCH better in every way!

you cant just say that!!...lol
we all going to be drying to know :?:

my ant memberships nt due til Oct anyway...l.ol

Jess
xox

geeg said:

There's your answer....
I never did join the ANT, so I'm eager to see whats coming up....

I wasn't going to renew my membership anyway, means nothing to me or my clients.... and who wnat to put the letters ANT after their name!! PLus as a salon owner I'm not paying for my staff to be members too, so the fact that I display the sticker in my window is misleading to the public, cos it's only me that's the member. Will this new idea that you guys keep teasing us with have a salon validity as well as an individual one?

I'm not going to renew my membership either. Anyway I think I've just failed the membership criteria on the uniform front, I'm clean and pressed but not in the college/beauty stylee.

Have to agree that this 5 day training lark is a bit misleading, especially if they're not sure themselves!! I think some clarification is required.

Nice to see Lily in the Newsletter though.

I only joined ANT about 2 weeks ago and i only done the 4 day training course but ive done two 1-2-1s since but i havnt heard anything from them so i am interested to see whats coming up x
glynis said:

nails@42ndstreet said:
I'm not going to renew my membership either. Anyway I think I've just failed the membership criteria on the uniform front, I'm clean and pressed but not in the college/beauty stylee.

Have to agree that this 5 day training lark is a bit misleading, especially if they're not sure themselves!! I think some clarification is required.

Nice to see Lily in the Newsletter though.

ooops..... i dont do the beauty stylee uniform either... im a nail tech nt a beauty therapist (jmho)

ye v coolio to see lily as the member of the month :)

Jess
xox

A couple of you have asked me to copy the new rules, so here is the contents of the letter I received.

Ground-breaking changes to the Association of Nail Technicians

• You must have a minimum of 5 days professional training and commit to regular on-going annual training.

• You will be given three months to ensure that you have the relevant five days training (and will have to send us a copy of your certificate to prove this). If you are unable to do this, you can remain an Associate Member, but cannot advertise your business as an ANT member

• Alternatively, you can request a refund whereby we will refund the balance of your membership fee

These changes will help us promote high standards to consumers and in do so help promote your business........

They also enclosed a poster of the new "Code of Ethics"

Professional Conduct
  • Maintain a high level of workmanship and not compromise standards to save time
  • Display public liability insurance certificate and price list for all services in a prominent area
  • Ensure all client complaints are dealt with in a courteous and timely manner adhering to the Code of Practice

Hygiene & Dress Code
  • Clean, pressed uniform to be worn, jewellery should be kept to a minimum and long hair tied back
  • Technicians should lead by example and have clean, tidy, maintained nails

Training
  • All ANT Members must have the minimum of 5 days professional training, commit to annual update training and be working towards a professional qualification
  • Keep abreast of industry and consumer trends through media such as trade shows, trade magazines, update workshops etc

Client Care
  • Complete a full client consultation and obtain client's signature before commencing treatment
  • Check for contra-indications and seek medical approval if required or in doubt
  • Maintain client records at all times and adhere to Data Protection Act
  • Recommend maintenance/rebalance appointments and inform client of contra-indications
  • Inform client of all aftercare and homecare requirements including professional removal only

Health and Safety
  • All members must be insured to a minimum of one million pounds public liability
  • Meet Health & Safety requirements for hygiene and hold updated COSHH and MSDS sheets
  • Own a First Aid Kit and make sure all staff are aware of where it is held
I rang them this afternoon to find out if they would need more evidence from me, since they already have copies of my certificates. They were not sure, but thought not. I also asked if my "Home Learn" courses counted. They said yes.

It is interesting that under "Training" they state "must be working towards a professional qualification". What if you already have one?

It is also interesting that ClaireP said above that they are going to have a meeting about the new membership rules next week. Bit late for a meeting after you've sent the info out!

They do seem to be trying, but confusion still seems to be ruling. The Code of Practice is a good idea but it is difficult to see how they will police some of their own rules.

Were any ANT members consulted about the Code of Practice?

geeg said:

Ah hah, okay Gigi, enough said :lol: - will hold fire in that case - still the teasing goes on....patience is not one of my best virtues you know! :wink2:

glynis said:
Were any ANT members consulted about the Code of Practice?

As a member of the last 5 years, I was not aware of any consultation about the Code of Practice. It does look like it has been snatched straight from an NVQ criteria.

Equally as an ANT member I would have thought that we could have been informed as to who the Head of Ant was. I only learned this from a passing comment Mark Maloney made at the awards at Excel.

This does not seem to be a true Association - the members only seem to pay for others to make decisions.

Although this thread does seem to be very negative and unsupportive of our currently only "Association" - they could have used this forum much more actively - where else could they get their members views without the expense of sending us all letters.

They have asked in the past via this board for our views and I dont think they have listened.

This does not seem to be a true Association - the members only seem to pay for others to make decisions.

I total agree with this particilar comment from Fiona, this is one of the reasons why I don't want to renew my membership.

I will wait a little longer to see what emerges from the new and improved ANT.

Excuse my ignorance ladies but would this be the same one that I am with throught The Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists? It's just that I havn't reveived any letter and I have frequently asked for a sticker for my window and been told they don't do them. After several months membership I have thought what a waste of time it is. I didn't know it existed until I got a certificate back through my insurance with the guild. Thought I'd go somewhere else for insurance when it expires. So what's coming Geeg????
:green:
Jules

Hi Jules,
the Guild have a separate thing which I think might be the INA or I may be waffling LOL.

If you were a member of ANT then you would regularly receive Professional Nails magazine, receive a pen, coaster (although not this year) and a certificate for your wall.

Personally, my experience of the ANT is NOT GOOD!

I have not received any PN magazines since before christmas, I never received the coaster, my pen was cracked when it arrived, and I have never received a newsletter of any sort. I also have not received this new letter, so I am not gonna renew when my time is up in July! NO WAY!

Also, as to the comments in this thread, if someone does a 5 day course, then does nothing except a 1 day course once a year in a small training place locally, apparently they would qualify. But I have (until now) done a 2 day course, then a 1 day conversion. I don't currently work on the public, I am waiting until I've finished my Ezflow foundation. However, I regularly visit the Geek world, and go to shows, where I ask loads of questions where I get the chance. I don't claim to have better training than someone who has the 5 day course, but I try to keep informed, and am always learning from you guys. BUT if you have to have done a 5 day course, even my Ezflow training will not allow me to be a member of an association that doesn't even bother to send me the items they promised they would before these new conditions came in!!!
I feel very put out by these rules. I plan to do as much training as poss, but up to now I would not qualify for membership of these rules.

Also, the uniform thing, when I go mobile, I will be smart, but I'm not planning on wearing my uniform until I have a permanent place of work, so this would put me in the "unqualified" group too.

AND - as mobile, I cannot show my insurance in a prominent place at all times, unless I staple it to my forehead! Then I'd have to unstaple it every time I get in the car, and it would get in a terrible state! I have planned on having it, along with copies of my certificates, in a folder that people can see on request, but this would not be on show all the time.

By the way, would my VTCT cert. in mani/pedi qualify me, or would it have to be for enhancements? Not that I care, certainly won't be rejoining even if I did qualify.

PS the idea of criteria is excellent, let's keep the cowboys out of associations, but I don't think they have gone about it very well. Now I'll shut up!

Latest posts

Back