New career

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

☆Missy☆

Reaction score
Hiya ladies

For many years now I have wanted to become a nail tech. I have a very unhealthy obsession (my poor bank account is a huge indicator of this) for nail polish and anything that will help me create beautiful nails :biggrin:

I have signed to do a weekend training course with nail harmony where I will do my manicure and gelish. I am beyond excited!
I want to hopefully turn this hobby into a full time career but only time will tell.

Once I am qualified I plan on offering 5 free basic manicure and 5 free gelish manicure purely for experience. Do you think this is resonable?

I would offer these treatments for a minimal cost, as it is costing you products that will need replacing, i have no idea of the cost per set for gelish but if you did them at lets say £5-8 per set/ and £5 per manicure you would at least have a minimum of £50 to replenish your stock. Xx

Also, good luck :) xx

Hi. I'm already qualified in manicures and am doing my Gelish training in April. My plan is to offer the first 10 clients Gelish for £10 then it will be full price By that stage hopefully I will be very confident in my application. You should charge about £5 for a manicure as it will cost you money in products x

☆Missy☆;1813424 said:
Hiya ladies

For many years now I have wanted to become a nail tech. I have a very unhealthy obsession (my poor bank account is a huge indicator of this) for nail polish and anything that will help me create beautiful nails :biggrin:

I have signed to do a weekend training course with nail harmony where I will do my manicure and gelish. I am beyond excited!
I want to hopefully turn this hobby into a full time career but only time will tell.

Once I am qualified I plan on offering 5 free basic manicure and 5 free gelish manicure purely for experience. Do you think this is resonable?

Heya Hun, never start at a loss, people will instantly think it doesn't cost that much to supply and do the work yourself :( so at the very least cut even with your stock pricing x good luck

I understand that its practise but - I would charge a small cost £5-£10 ... Not only thinking of cost of stock but in my opinion and what others have said on here in other threads (which u may want to read) ... They then have problems with then charging these clients after as they'll call wanting another free treatment

Hi. I did my first few sets on my family to get my confidence and didn't charge, so when I had real clients I went straight to charging full price. That way I had no problems in trying to increase my prices and people see you as professional and not doing a cheap or substandard service. I also have a loyalty card which encourages new clients to stay with you once they see the quality of your work.

☆Missy☆;1813424 said:
Hiya ladies

Good luck with everything. Don't undersell yourself or your training or your product. As the others ave said make a small charge, it's not just about applying product clients are paying for, they are paying for the peace of mind of having a well trained professional. :Love:

I wouldnt recommend offering anything for free! As already suggested, charge at least enough to cover your products... take it from someone who recently set out & made the mistake of offering free treatments whilst training ... now i'm charging suddenly non of my so-called friends need or want massage / nails / waxing etc .. i'm hugely out of pocket, and have realised that even some friends are only out for what they can get from you!!

☆Missy☆;1813424 said:
Hiya ladies

Very exciting, I'm doing the exact same thing in June (was soonest I could do the course without work getting in the way) and I was going to do what these ladies have said and offer first 10 at £8-£10 to get me started! I can buy more colours then!! Good luck!

I guess it depends how much practice you need before you can offer a good service. Personally, I forced all my good friends to have Gelish nails for a few weeks for free. It then got to the stage where they insisted on paying me, and still do.

I started charging full price as soon as I'd qualified with on my NH Gelish course. Did my 10 sets of course nails, 7 of whom have already rebooked for soak off and reapply and will be paying me (done 2 already).

You have invested time and money in your qualification, products and insurance and it's very difficult to raise prices once people get used to a reduced fee.

I am offering a refer a friend discount though, where the people who have come to me get £5 off their next treatment if they refer someone which will apply once the referral manicure has been done. Will run this scheme whilst I build my client base and then probably introduce a loyalty scheme for existing clients.

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back