New client-chipped nail!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshie Lou Lou

Reaction score
Feeling like I'm loosing the will to live.
Been doing this since NOvember and all I do is worry about if the gel or shellac will last!
New client today who came along with my neighbours daughter. They are both going abroad in the early hours of tonight. She has just texted me to say that one nail has chipped quite badly, already!
I have told her to,pop back tonight but she's too busy. I said I was surprised but maybe it was the fact the some of her nails were a bit flaky. She also had this residue on her nails, which she said was nail glue!

I have offered her a freebie when she returns from her holiday.

I feel like is this really worth it, if all I do is worry! Does anyone else feel the same? If so, does it get better?

Feeling like I'm loosing the will to live.
Been doing this since NOvember and all I do is worry about if the gel or shellac will last!
New client today who came along with my neighbours daughter. They are both going abroad in the early hours of tonight. She has just texted me to say that one nail has chipped quite badly, already!
I have told her to,pop back tonight but she's too busy. I said I was surprised but maybe it was the fact the some of her nails were a bit flaky. She also had this residue on her nails, which she said was nail glue!

I have offered her a freebie when she returns from her holiday.

I feel like is this really worth it, if all I do is worry! Does anyone else feel the same? If so, does it get better?

Did you remove the residue first ? If you are leaving residue like adhesive on the nail the shellac isn't going to adhere to nail correctly if there's a barrier in the way .

Hi, what products are you using hun? Maybe we can help you x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use for my gel Asp signature gel. I also use shellac, but this client had the gel.
I thoroughly prepped and made sure the nail was as clean as poss. I'm not trying to cover myself by saying this, but I'm wondering if her nails were a bit flakey....or even if they still had some nail glue on??!!

I said to her, what is this...and she said oh...it's nail glue or something! I did my best to get it off, but a so don't do extensions, this isn't something I would know about.

I use cuticle remover....CND.....wash off with a spray and dry.
Then I use my scrubfresh, before using either the shellac products, or for gel....the prep, bonder, base, colour and top.

Maybe she just went home and did something daft like pack her case?!

I think I just keep doubting myself. I need to be more confident, because another client came back tonight after 3 week wear of gel! They looked like they needed doing, but she was pleased!

I suppose it's just time and experience that will help.

Thank you. Xx

Aww :hug:

It deffo does get easier as time goes on! I started doing Shellac in March and after doing my first lot of clients I would flip between feeling pretty good (omg, I'm actually a nail tech! how cool is that?!) to being sick with worry (omg, I bet they have pinged off, peeled, split, chipped & I'm rubbish!) I thought the same thing- 'If I'm going to feel like this everytime I do a treatment I can't put myself through it for the next 30 years!' but it did fade, a lot!

I still get the doubts the first few times I launch a new treatment but no where near as bad as it was back then. I think time & experience not only gives you confidence in your ability but also in dealing with complaints or mistakes. You kind of accept that (some) mistakes might happen but you can deal with it & bring it round to a positive situation for both of you :)

You also have to accept that once the buggars leave you, you have NO control over what they do lol! Foe example I did a LOVELY set of LVL lashes on a lady and bumped into her the very next morning as she was leaving the local swimming pool :grr: Aftercare dearie....... what aftercare......... xxx

Thank you minkeybox!!! As my husband says, I can't be bad if I get clients coming back! Did my daughters nails in gel for our holiday two weeks ago, one chip on her nail, so I'm pleased.
I'm back from hols and appointments have been requested, so I can't be too bad! Xx

Unfortunately its the nature of the job. All nails are different and all clients use there nails in different wsys. Some dont follow aftercare either. Its not always our fault as professionals x:D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Unfortunately it's just the way it is. You'll find you'll have clients that could keep it on indefinitely and some a couple of days in and they'll have chipped a few. My mum, for example, could easily have shellac on her fingers for a month, where as my sister in law struggles to get 5 days.
When she returns, you might need to gently buff her nails so that she doesn't have any 'flakiness' (I'm assuming de lamination) and make sure you drum into her about the aftercare.

I use for my gel Asp signature gel. I also use shellac, but this client had the gel.
I thoroughly prepped and made sure the nail was as clean as poss. I'm not trying to cover myself by saying this, but I'm wondering if her nails were a bit flakey....or even if they still had some nail glue on??!!

It is your job to ensure there is no product left on the nail.
And if any of the nails were flaking you should gently buff it away.
Both of these things will cause the product to lift or chip.

I said to her, what is this...and she said oh...it's nail glue or something! I did my best to get it off, but a so don't do extensions, this isn't something I would know about.
You don't have to do extensions to know that you cannot leave any product on the nail before applying your own product.

I use cuticle remover....CND.....wash off with a spray and dry.
Then I use my scrubfresh, before using either the shellac products, or for gel....the prep, bonder, base, colour and top.

Maybe she just went home and did something daft like pack her case?!
She should be able to pack her case without problems.

I think I just keep doubting myself. I need to be more confident, because another client came back tonight after 3 week wear of gel! They looked like they needed doing, but she was pleased!

I suppose it's just time and experience that will help.
It seems that lack of thorough prep was the cause of the chipping, hopefully the experience will help you for next time :hug:

Thank you. X

Thank you everyone for the supportive comments. I agree everyone's nails are different and aftercare is important. I'm amazed at how many people try not to buy solar oil though! Even the small pinkie sizes that I stock.

I also realise that it's my job to thoroughly prep a nail. What I have leant from this is...
If a client has a product/substance on their that neither she or I can identify, I will suggest that no guarantees can be made. I did the prep as shown in my training and I spend time on this, but training doesn't tell you about things like this, which is why I appreciate support from fellow salon geeks.

Latest posts

Back