New client - colour help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerfly

Reaction score
Hey fellow geeks,

I was wondering if someone could assist with a new client I have this Saturday.

Her hair is a natural Level 5 with around 30% grey. It has been coloured in the past by another salon with wella colour touch 6.0 & 5.37 with 20 vol. She also has a t-bar section of highlights bleach & 30 vol which is now very bright yellowey and orange in some parts and the contrast between the two colours of dark and light seem too severe.

She would ultimately like something around her own natural base colour with a nice coppery or red highlights and a nice bit of lightness of blonde. I also use wella and she agreed she liked the 66/07 (colour touch) , 8/37 and 9/7 (koleston) colours.

Now my question is as follows:

How would you geeks go about this? I know that the 8/37 and 9/7 aren't going to lift on the midlengths and ends of the previously coloured hair but the very light highlights are gonna grab and as for the roots well.... :cry:

Would you weave and prelighten, then apply the desired colours? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Some more experienced help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

xx

hi , i dont think 9/ 7 is a good choice ,because you wont get much lift on the root i think it will come up similar to the 8/37. does she like it light? my aunt has a similar colour with white and its a logistical nightmare.
If you weave and prelighten , you may get , problems with fade and colour grab , it will be ok the first few times though . How much colour build up is there ? You could always lift it up a little , but then you will have to apply differant colours to differant sections of the hair ( unless you nuke it to the pale orangy/yellow colour)
Personally ,if it was me id use hi-lift tint for the hilites root , then put 8/37 on the ends ( in the same packet ) and apply the semi around the rest , But i cant SEE the hair this is only my INTERPRETATION

Last edited:
Hi Liana Kay, thanks for taking the time to reply.

There seems to be lot of colour build up so I dont think it will lift easily.

If I were to do what you said with the highlights ie highlift on the roots then 8/37 on the ends will the ends not still be dark ie tint not lifting tint? Or do you mean I should be picking up the old highlights in my weave?

I love tackling things like this and seeing it turn out well but sometimes I really need assistance from someone with more experience.

I know what my boss would do in this situation and believe me it's not a route I want to take! In the past they would apply the highlift or bleach in some packets the 8/37 in the other and the semi in between. The result is perfect looking re-growth and just dark with orange on the rest. Telling the client that it will take time to achieve the desired result :cry:

how much regrowth does she have? on the blonde i mean? we had a wella rep in yesterday and some of the things she showed us was pretty dam amazing with tonight down blonde,
she also managed to lift colour build up from black home dye and tone it with only 1.9% bleach and colour touch relights which you could use with a coppery kinda colour from the selection to break up the old colour touch in her hair. . . so that kinda helpos with u wanting to lift that and get some coppery tones in it, might be a bit fiddly to foil and refoil again cos u cant jus tone all over like u wud if it was a whole head re-tone cos it wud grab onto any porous hair in sight LOL . . ..
as for the top foils if the regrowth aint mental bad, u cud do a few scattered bleached regrowth ones and then in the other tone them down with a 9/16(15ml) and 7/75(5ml) in 9% on the root and the same concoction on the previously bleached hair but mixed with pastel 1:2 with pastel developer, that comes out a lovely mink blonde. . .
and for the colour touch plus, i imagine using the 66/.. wud be fine inbetween all these as it isnt going to be that much darker thn the semi she already has on. . .
if u tone the blonde down a heck of a lot wit colours like above it gonna look less brassy and alot better. . x

how much regrowth does she have? on the blonde i mean? we had a wella rep in yesterday and some of the things she showed us was pretty dam amazing with tonight down blonde,
she also managed to lift colour build up from black home dye and tone it with only 1.9% bleach and colour touch relights which you could use with a coppery kinda colour from the selection to break up the old colour touch in her hair. . . so that kinda helpos with u wanting to lift that and get some coppery tones in it, might be a bit fiddly to foil and refoil again cos u cant jus tone all over like u wud if it was a whole head re-tone cos it wud grab onto any porous hair in sight LOL . . ..
as for the top foils if the regrowth aint mental bad, u cud do a few scattered bleached regrowth ones and then in the other tone them down with a 9/16(15ml) and 7/75(5ml) in 9% on the root and the same concoction on the previously bleached hair but mixed with pastel 1:2 with pastel developer, that comes out a lovely mink blonde. . .
and for the colour touch plus, i imagine using the 66/.. wud be fine inbetween all these as it isnt going to be that much darker thn the semi she already has on. . .
if u tone the blonde down a heck of a lot wit colours like above it gonna look less brassy and alot better. . x

She has about 2.5cm of regrowth on the blonde.

That sounds like a plan Scottydolly. I've never actually used relights, we've had them in the salon for ages but we never use them!

It all sounds right fiddly but I'm up for it :green:

Will let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for the advice.

that colour mix for the mink blonde really is stunning.. . x

Hi
Not being funny, but why don't you ring the advise help line,they are very useful in this area. At least then you get the technical help for that product.
Good luck

Latest posts

Back