New client previously used OTC products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scissorz

Reaction score
I have a new color client who wants full head vibrant red, I have done a phone consultation (face to face consultation is today) and found out she's previously been using box dyes which have grown out to the mid lengths, her base is a 4 an these box dyes are various shades of brown, also she has been using an OTC shampoo and conditioner! Her hair is very long and thick, I am going to tell her to use a deep cleansing shampoo all week before I do the color to get rid of product build up, I was going to use bleach an 3% to lift it slowly an try an get rid of the box dye build up on the ends an do the roots last, do you think I should do this or a bleach bath? Then put the red on which we will decide on today, obviously will be retailing her the correct professional shampoo and conditioner any ideas welcome geeks :)

you're better off checking with a test piece to see if it will lift. i wouldnt go bleach bath route if its a build up of colour, i go straight in with blondi rae the colour remover. It wont comprimise the roots and take all the artifical colour out.- leaving a nice copper undertone great for reds! booya! xoxo

you're better off checking with a test piece to see if it will lift. i wouldnt go bleach bath route if its a build up of colour, i go straight in with blondi rae the colour remover. It wont comprimise the roots and take all the artifical colour out.- leaving a nice copper undertone great for reds! booya! xoxo

Thanks for the advice, I've never used blondi rae before, so it doesn't do anything to the roots? Or would I need to pre lighten them to achieve an even red? :)

No you wouldnt need to prelighten the roots. It only takes out the artifical colour, so unless that build up is on the roots, it will leave the underlying pigment. So you're ideally looking at a red orange undertone if shes a base 4. Then as shes going to have a reddy undertone, no need to correct the underlying pigment, because the red/copper tone is great to hold on to a vibrant red. If there is a blatent regrowth then i proberly do the virgin roots with a red highlight booster. to break it up. hope that makes sense! xoxo

Latest posts

Back