New member; need some general nail advice:)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owall

Reaction score
Hey there everyone nice to meet you all:),

I'm an adult male looking for some professional advice/recommendations on nail care. I've had trouble trying to find any resources on the internet giving advice, so I'm very happy I’ve found this site.

The first issue I have is the colour of my nails; when first filling the tip of the nail is sparkling white, but when I wake up the next day there pale yellow and quite unclean looking. Is there any way I can give my nails a more permanent healthy, white glow? Do you have any products you would recommend?

Also, some of my nails have quite ugly looking white bleaches on the nail, (possibly from a calcium deficiency) I cant really see any way of getting rid of this, apart from letting the nail grow, is there any solution to removing these stains?

Any other general tips would be fantastic

Thank you all
Ollie x.

white stains?? on your nails that people say is from not drinking enough milk..

This is called Leukonychia apologies for bad spelling..
This can be from calcium deficiency but quite rare it also cause from tiredness and stress.

did you mean u had lovely coloured nails and then you filed them and the next day they were a different colour, if this is the case you could have used a infected file and passed on infection or bacteria to your nail or you could have broken the hyponychium and got a small infection.

see your GP as nail technicians cannot diagnose as were not qualified for this.

Hope you manage to sort this

Hi Owall,

The white specks on your nail plate are I can guess, without seeing is Leuconychia, which is trauma to the nail plate or matrix ( where the nail starts to grow in simple terms ) this is air bubbles between the plate and nail bed, it can be caused by pressure or hitting with a hard object, often not even realising you've done it :eek: dont worry they will grow out.

As for what the last poster put for the discolouration ( no offence to her at all :hug:) I cant see that a few hours overnight will be will cause an observation of bacteria or infection unless you have damaged the hyponichium (sp) in some way.

My best advise would be to go and see a nail technician, they know best, oh another note I'd like to add, is that not all nail free edges are naturally white, mine aren't and I dont have any nail condition.

I hope this helps a bit :hug:

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your helpfull comments:)

I think the discolouring infection on the tips of my nails is probably from using a unclean/infected nail scissors/clippers. If I desist using these clippers full of bacteria and use cleaner nail equipment will the discolouration fade or will I need treatment/medication?

Latest posts

Back