New Mobile Tech - Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kezz

Reaction score
I started as a moble tech in Jan having completed a course with Star Nails in Dec 04. I only have two regulars at the moment and am really struggling as my confidence is extremely low. I feel i am taking to long with my clients. a full set takes me 3 - 3 1/2 hours and a rebalance usually takes me longer! The filing takes me over an hour and if i have any repairs, well i may as well stay the night!! i have realised that i am obviously doing my gel too thick so could anyone give me any tips? i worry that if i do it to thin they will break. i have been reading scratch for ideas and am doing a workshop in July to help develop. I have printed brochures and everything but don't feel brave enough to give these out as i wouldn't be able to fit everyone in. Sorry to ramble on but i really want to do well in this business as i absolutely love it!!!

search for gel application, there was athread on here the last couple of days, also search the tutorials. GMG said that geeg had oneon there.

x

Hello,

Try not to get too down about things. I think we all have times where our confidence is low. I think this could be helped by having further training and really gaining knowlege of your products.

Try to appear confident, even if you don't feel it, as clients will pick up on this.

Once you have got over the things that are making you feel like this it will become a lot easier for you.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

Do you have a nail trainer? Lots of practice is a great way for you to perfect your technique, reduce your time and build your confidence.

Most importantly, don't let it get you down! :hug:

Katelisa said:
search for gel application, there was athread on here the last couple of days, also search the tutorials. GMG said that geeg had oneon there.

x

Thanks! I will have a look.

jordinaildesign said:
Do you have a nail trainer? Lots of practice is a great way for you to perfect your technique, reduce your time and build your confidence.

Most importantly, don't let it get you down! :hug:

I don't have a Nail Trainer. Is that the hand that you can buy to work on? I know they are quite expensive but if it will help it will be money well spent!

Thanks.

kezz said:
I don't have a Nail Trainer. Is that the hand that you can buy to work on? I know they are quite expensive but if it will help it will be money well spent!

Thanks.

If you do the Creative foundation course as discussed in your other thread you get a nail trainer with your kit as well as homework cards. The cost of the course is well worth it.

NSI do a gell application CD which is free if you ring up for one. It may help you to watch this as it will help refresh anything your learnt on your course. Also with the CD tutorials, you can watch them over and over again untill you really get it. They use Balance gel products which I have tried and they are really lovely to work with.

If you cant get hold of one of the CD's then PM me and I will send you one, as they inadvertantly sent me 2.

Love Val

Don't get feeling low, as long as you love what your doing then the rest will come along. As for practice hands have you tried Ebay???? You can pick the solid plastic one up quite cheap and the practice finger even cheaper. Just a thought, hope it helps.:wink2:

i have the NSI dvd, quite helpful!

Oh bless I know how you are feeling I am feeling just the same right now!

It is hard I could cry today as I saw a women I had put nails on last friday and she has lifting already she has had it a few days!!!!

It took me 3.5 hours and I worked really hard doing everything right, I am taking them off tomorrow and putting some back on for her next week FREE! I only charged her £10 for the set she has now but I feel really bad!

I can not wait till I get these nails off her I do not want her showing anyone in the school playground as I may not get anyone wanting to come to get there nails done.

They looked so good as well once I had done them I even posted a photo on hear I was that pleased.

You are not alone and one day I hope to beable to post on here positive words to someone that is at the point I and you are now.

PM me any time for a chat as I find it good to talk about this.

Take care
Caz xxx

kezz said:
I started as a moble tech in Jan having completed a course with Star Nails in Dec 04. I only have two regulars at the moment and am really struggling as my confidence is extremely low. I feel i am taking to long with my clients. a full set takes me 3 - 3 1/2 hours and a rebalance usually takes me longer! The filing takes me over an hour and if i have any repairs, well i may as well stay the night!! i have realised that i am obviously doing my gel too thick so could anyone give me any tips? i worry that if i do it to thin they will break. i have been reading scratch for ideas and am doing a workshop in July to help develop. I have printed brochures and everything but don't feel brave enough to give these out as i wouldn't be able to fit everyone in. Sorry to ramble on but i really want to do well in this business as i absolutely love it!!!

caz3 said:
Oh bless I know how you are feeling I am feeling just the same right now!

It is hard I could cry today as I saw a women I had put nails on last friday and she has lifting already she has had it a few days!!!!

It took me 3.5 hours and I worked really hard doing everything right, I am taking them off tomorrow and putting some back on for her next week FREE! I only charged her £10 for the set she has now but I feel really bad!

I can not wait till I get these nails off her I do not want her showing anyone in the school playground as I may not get anyone wanting to come to get there nails done.

They looked so good as well once I had done them I even posted a photo on hear I was that pleased.

You are not alone and one day I hope to beable to post on here positive words to someone that is at the point I and you are now.

PM me any time for a chat as I find it good to talk about this.

Take care
Caz xxx

Hi Caz,

Sorry to hear you are so down sweetheart! :hug: Just had a look at your gallery photo you uploaded of a full set why in God's name do you charge £10.00 for a set? If my nails looked that good I'd be happy paying £25.00. I think you need to have a little more faith in yourself you're better than you think.

The client of yours with so much lifting. Did she buy any SolarOil from you? Is she heavy handed? Did you make her nails a little longer than what she's used to? Don't be so quick to do it for free, it might be the client.

Anytime you feeling down please pm me? I would love to help as I know what it's like doubting yourself.

Take care!!!! :hug:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am a newbie geek as well Kezz and still take ages to do a rebalance, in fact can do a full set of tips in just as much time. My advice to you is to concentrate first on the quality and the timing will come with experience. Practice on family and friends and hopefully your new clients will appreciate that you are new and a bit slow if you stress the importance of quality. Also, visit this site often as just by reading through various threads and doing searches you can pick up some fab tips. The geeks are very helpful and supportive.

Keep going Kezz :) - just take a look at similar threads on this web site and you'll see that many techs have similar experiences and with time and practice things seem to work out for the best :) So chin up and onwards - and as JDG says more training always helps :hug:

Don't be despondant! I think you just need to understand where you are in your new career. 1 course is not enough to make an experienced technician and it is only more learning and more practice that will make you better.

As a lone mobile you're not getting any support, info or help from others as you would in a salon. Practising on a nail trainer will help you with timing and application but it won't help you with individual client problems not give you help and advice.

My advice would be to invest in more training. Maybe a short 121 would put you in the direction right for you?

Latest posts

Back