New nail tech needs help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayb

Reaction score
I recently bought a fabulous Erica mt20 e file and love it! But I'm having some issues using it. When I've gotten to the filing part on the nail I usually do fine. But sometimes I loose control and the bits fly off the nail bed because its "bounced"

I don't have much experience with efiles let alone one this powerful. I've tried all different speeds and it continues to happen. I know its gotta be me and not the drill. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I guess I just need a crash course on using an efile.

Please help!

you've just answered your own question - you need training x

I have never been a fan of efiles. I prefer filing myself. But yes, it sounds like it is best for you to train using one, before you damage someone :)

My school taught me with only using reg files. But it would literally take me 2 hours to do a full set. I felt that was way to long and that most nail techs used efiles.

Now i almost feel silly for making such a large purchase.

No don’t feel silly!!
An E file is a good tool and I can’t live without it! But I think companies selling their files without a filing course is silly.
An e file can do a lot of damage in the uneducated hand, and make manicure lovely in an educated hand.
Sign up for a course an in the time to get there just use it to file on your nailtrainers nails, not on living nails.
I often have no speed at all working, it cuts like butter anyway, so you need to be really soft handed to e file.
After my efile course I did a lot of nails on my hand before I was confident to let a living hand suffer . I started out with sanding band, and those are a bit nasty, now I use YN safety bit all the way and ohhh its lovely to file nowadays!!
So you’re not the silly one, the distributor of the file is!!

My school taught me with only using reg files. But it would literally take me 2 hours to do a full set. I felt that was way to long and that most nail techs used efiles.

Now i almost feel silly for making such a large purchase.

You do get faster with practice. But if you really want to use efile, then I am sure there are lots of places near you, which will help you train with one!

Definitely training ... You won't even be insured to use it without training and mistakes can be painful and costly.

Love my efile for the purposes for which I use it. They do save so much time when re- balancing.

You need a super light touch (and a medium speed to start with) and control otherwise you will loose the control and 'whizz around the world' with it as you have experienced. The other thing that causes the drill to do that is digging in with the mandrill instead of gliding it onto the surface ... This is where the super-light touch comes in ... Find an expert and go and learn and you will enjoy it. And get a carbide safety bit ... I rarely use anything else.

Thank you ladies so much! You've all helped tremendously :)

I have to say I was just that, not sure of what I was doing wrong because at school they didnt really train us in filling with an e-file, only after you feel pain in your muscles from all that filing you realize that it is time for an e-file.

It's true, if you can get one on one help learning the skills to master your e-file I encourage it, but if you just cant find an educator to help maybe this wonderful tutorial by Greg Salo, yes again from young nails can help a bit!

It's really worth the watch if you would like some easy tips!

Enjoy.:wink2:

Greg's Corner - I-Formation Filing - YouTube

Last edited:
Clever man, Clever video :)

I can't get enough of of Greg's videos. I watch them over and over. His enthusiasm is catching.

I absolutely love him! I think I am going to try converting to Young Nails gel. Not just because of him but largely because of him and his amazing videos. Lol.

I absolutely love him! I think I am going to try converting to Young Nails gel. Not just because of him but largely because of him and his amazing videos. Lol.

I just returned to doing nails part time after a long time and only learned l and p in school. I chose Young nail gels because of the videos and I love it. I am going to take a 1 day class locally this month but with a regular full time job the videos are a great time saver.

Latest posts

Back