New nail technician advice? Please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandaa

Reaction score
Hi guys so I am a newly licensed nail tech, (for a few months) and I have just gotten my first job in a salon, but I am the only nail tech there right now because they have not been able to find one after their nail technicians left and opened their own salon, and they picked me. I had my first day yesterday, and i was nervous and i didn't do badly, but i was COMPLETELY booked, and i am not used to doing a bunch of clients one after the other. Anyways, my first client was late, and then that set me late to every other client, so i felt very discouraged. I was trying my best and I did good services, at least they seemed pleased, but I get a little insecure with my services sometimes because I just want to make sure the client is satisfied. I am good at what I do, but whenever i mess up a slight bit, like getting nail polish on the skin, I get it off, but I feel like they are judging me.. Most of them knew it was my first day so I hope they don't give me bad reviews for being late.
Anwyays, I am very good at pedis and manis , and gels, and we don't do acrylics at this salon, but I just had a rough first day because I felt rushed.
Any advice?
Do things get easier?
I just want to be successful:( Was your first day rough?
Thank you for any help

I think any new job is unnerving, it sounds like you did really well.

It will get much easier with time. I think the biggest thing clients notice is if you come across confident performing the service, they don't know if you do things in a slightly different order etc as long as it doesn't affect the end product.
Good luck and enjoy :)

First days in any new job is difficult and yes it does get easier.
One way to try and avoid problems with clients running late etc, is to ensure you/the salon has strict policies and that every client that sits at your desk gets a copy and you must ensure that they understand these policies by going over them with the client at consult stage and letting client know that they must be followed.
If you start off by allowing clients to run late and you let them think it's ok, then they will run late often and not ever consider how it impacts you or clients after them. In the long run, it could cost you business, so I would suggest to implement some policies of what you expect from your clients, otherwise you might find yourself caught in a not so pleasant situation after a while.
You have to think of the long term success of your business and also think about things from your own point of view.....if you were having your nails done somewhere every 2 weeks and every time you went, the tech was running late, this would surely make you not happy after a while because you could never plan your time around this appt because you don't know if it's going to be late or not and eventually, it could be bothersome enough that you decide to go elsewhere where they do run on time as this makes your life easier.
Just something to think about:)

New jobs always give me the gitters, no matter what it is!

But Jaz is right, confidence is key. As long as you own what your doing it could be totally wack but if your confident and have a smile on your face clients aren't going to notice the things you don't make a big deal out of.

As far as timing goes, I find that you will find it easier to catch up as time goes on. You will find spaces to catch up the time of speed up the service in certain areas to get you back on track. It all comes with time and practice. Mt other suggestion here (if you don't have clear sight of a wall clock) get a watch and keep an eye on that ☺ good luck!!

New jobs always give me the gitters, no matter what it is!

But Jaz is right, confidence is key. As long as you own what your doing it could be totally wack but if your confident and have a smile on your face clients aren't going to notice the things you don't make a big deal out of.

As far as timing goes, I find that you will find it easier to catch up as time goes on. You will find spaces to catch up the time of speed up the service in certain areas to get you back on track. It all comes with time and practice. Mt other suggestion here (if you don't have clear sight of a wall clock) get a watch and keep an eye on that ☺ good luck!!

Just so you know, the OP has been away from Salon Geek since shortly after posting this thread.

Latest posts

Back