New Shellac'er disasterous application today

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinkingorgeous

Reaction score
Urgh, Im new to Shallac, love it but Iv had a disaster:eek: second time with same client.

Client has flaky nail tips which I was aware of and wasnt too much of a problem. the problem was I spent about 30 mins on prep, removing old shellac, file, cuticle away, scrubfresh. Really worked hard at the pep but when I started the base coat I could see there were lumps and bumps on the nail plate (this happened before) it obviously just got worse as layer upon layer went on!!!

My theory is that the nail plate was also flakey and although I cuticle awayed all over the nail plate I was obviously making the flakeyness worse therefore not leaving a smooth nail plate.

For you Shellac Geeks, do you think I have come to the correct conclustion??? This happened the first time I did shellac on this client, the second time I only did a dry cuticle work and it was fine, this time I did cuticles away and it was awful, felt like crying and couldnt charge the client for an awful job :grr:

So is this theory correct, if so do I just do dry cuticle work or is there a solution. Thank you xx Blinks xx

Are you sure you're not getting lint from your wipes in the base?
If its across the nail plate and not just the end then it sounds unlikely to be the nail itself flaking away in those patches, that sounds unusual to me (though i could be wrong) could you be being to rough with your tools?
How are you getting on with other clients?
Dont worry, its not a disaster, just a learning curve! :hug:

Are you sure you're not getting lint from your wipes in the base?
If its across the nail plate and not just the end then it sounds unlikely to be the nail itself flaking away in those patches, that sounds unusual to me (though i could be wrong) could you be being to rough with your tools?
How are you getting on with other clients?
Dont worry, its not a disaster, just a learning curve! :hug:

Kayley honestly Im not being too rough - at least Im sure Im not :eek: All my other clients are fine, Iv never never never experienced it with anyone else, its def not lint because they are lumps on the nail bed rather than linty lines (iykwim) the ends of her nails are flakey and she said she has really weak/soft nails and It never happened when I did dry cuticle work, Oh No, maybe I have been too rough, I hold my tool at the right angle and dont dig in the nail and it wasnt just on one nail it was on about 7 :eek: it was awful, I even said to the client when she wanted to book her next appoint did she really want to rebook, wouldnt she rather find someone who could do it better lol

Would it be ok just to do dry cuticle work, what do you think the solution would be, apart from the obvious of being more gentle eeeeeep

Was it bits in the base coat or the nail plate? I get bits in the the base but have started to really really shake it and it seems to be a little better. Also you must scrub the nail so it squeeks, thats what i ve been advised due to having issues myself!! xx

Was it bits in the base coat or the nail plate? I get bits in the the base but have started to really really shake it and it seems to be a little better. Also you must scrub the nail so it squeeks, thats what i ve been advised due to having issues myself!! xx

Its def bumps and lumps on the nailplate, I know what you mean about the base coat but it wasnt that and I go soooo overboard on the pep it makes my eyes go crosseyed, scrub scrub scrubfresh lol

Sorry, not really sure then!:confused:

if the nail plate is flaking i remove the flaking with a koala file but only very lightly and only when needed :D x

hmmm i dont know, i've never experienced this. I think its harder to guess by description. Hopefully someone will have an answer soon...

I've come across this, with two ladies, who were both in the early stages of pregnancy, I've not come across it since and now they are further along its gone, but what I did, and found was the best way, do you know the white buffer blocks? Their pretty smooth, I'm not sure on the number, but just go over the nail plate gently after usual prep, do this, then scrubfresh, for me, worked a treat, hope this helps
x

Don't be disheartened, I've had the same problem and like some of the other lovely Geeks have already said. Give the nail plate a light buff with nothing less than a 240 grit buffer block or file then scrubfresh and that should sort your lumps and bumps out. Also once you apply your base coat be sure to check the reflection of the light on the nail carefully that shows up any blips before applying your colour coat xxxx

Blinkingorgeous said:
Client has flaky nail tips which I was aware of and wasnt too much of a problem. the problem was I spent about 30 mins on prep, removing old shellac, file, cuticle away, scrubfresh. Really worked hard at the pep but when I started the base coat I could see there were lumps and bumps on the nail plate (this happened before) it obviously just got worse as layer upon layer went on!!!

My theory is that the nail plate was also flakey and although I cuticle awayed all over the nail plate I was obviously making the flakeyness worse therefore not leaving a smooth nail plate.

For you Shellac Geeks, do you think I have come to the correct conclustion??? This happened the first time I did shellac on this client, the second time I only did a dry cuticle work and it was fine, this time I did cuticles away and it was awful, felt like crying and couldnt charge the client for an awful job :grr:

Aaaw bless ya. Anyway, solutions:- I don't use Shellac myself but I did have some nails (not me personally lol) like this once and I found the easiest thing to do was to apply a very thin layer of hard gel BEFORE the s/o basecoat and after curing the hard gel, wipe the dispersion layer and gently buff the hard gel with a white block. All the lumps and bumps were smoothed out (and as it was such a thin coat it just grew out).Then I re-sanitised and applied my basecoat etc etc as per normal. Doing that hard gel layer also meant that it wouldn't soak off so there were no more lumps and flakes until it had grown out which took about 4 months I think. Now, like I said I don't use Shellac so you would have to ask a shellac tech if you could maybe use a very thin layer of Brisa gel before the Shellac. Or, if you can't. Would you be able to do a slightly thicker basecoat and then buff the flakes and bumps out of that before continuing as normal??. Just a couple of suggestions for you hun and I hope you get it sorted asap. Btw I bet that client does return coz you have proved that you're honest, sweet and want to be the best you can. Big Hugs:hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your sure it wasn't outside contaminates like filing dust , lint or left overs

Wear you sitting somewhere sunny? Could it have been curing as you went along ? Dont forget it take a fraction of the time for the base coat to cure when compared to the color and top coats ,

Could it be that you didn't remove all of the old base coat? Had it been on for longer than the advised 2 weeks?

Dose your client use solar oil ? She needs to know it's not really an optional extra , if she thinks it's expensive show her how a little goes along way,

If it happens again I would cure , and then buff it smooth with a white block , carefully so as not to damage nail , then clean dust with D sperce and eaver base coat again or just apply the color,

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

I always dry prep and never ever buff the natural nail.

If you are not experiencing the flakey surface when you have done a dry prep then continue to do a dry prep! Pretty simple solution seems to me; it is also what CND recommend that you do :)

Fabulous, thank you for all your replies, I'm as sure as I can be that it wasn't outside contamination (I love that saying lol) I'm going to start by doing dry pep next time and see how I get on. The first time it happened I did think it may be I hadn't got all old shellac off so since then I have been extra careful, she def uses solar oil, cos I make sure lol. Part of me wishes she would fins someone else who's better cos I feel really embarrassed lol nut she keeps coming back!!!!!!! Oh well, 2 weeks to worry about it :0)

Thank you again for all your great advice xx

I always dry prep and never ever buff the natural nail.

If you are not experiencing the flakey surface when you have done a dry prep then continue to do a dry prep! Pretty simple solution seems to me; it is also what CND recommend that you do :)

So are you saying we shouldn't use cuticle away?

I posted about whether we should be using Cuticle Away or not with shellac recently. I was trained by my CND Educator to use Cuticle Away. Samantha Sweet said that originally CND recommended using CA but some people were not deactivating the CA and cleaning it off the nail plate properly so they now recommend not to use it just to prevent people having any problems. I have used CA for my shellac PEP since the start and have had no problems. On my previous post it turned out that half of the people do and half of the people don't! HTH's

Just to update you all, this client text me to say she had all sorts of trouble with her nails (!!!!) and she has been to a local salon and had the shellac I did removed, the salon said her nails were too flaky and thin to be using shellac on them, so she is cancelling her appoint :cry: She said it wasnt my fault, but Im still sad :cry:

Latest posts

Back