New to Gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaV

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have only recently discovered gel nails. I have been to my local salon a few times now for Jessica Geleration and am now totally hooked! I'm just thinking that I might get a kit to do them at home as I don't want to keep paying £40 a time! Im really fussy with how I like them and am pretty sure I can do them just as well myself!

Can anyone recommend what I need to buy? I initially want it just for myself but with the thought of maybe starting to do friends/family and then potentially start a little business.

Can anyone give me any useful advise on anything ie is training necessary, what kits to buy, what lamps are best and how much this is all likely to set me back?

Muchly appreciated!

This website is for professionals and aspiring pros,
most of us have spent $€££€ to get to where we are not to mention the dark lonely hours of practice & work and tears to master our skills ,
We take time to learn the
contra- indications & actions
The anatomy and physiology ,
Heath & safety
Sanitation
Running a business
People skills
Stock controle
The chemistry behind our product and the UV light that cures it,

All that and more before we master application and making it look nice!

As for cost ? That's on going as you will always need sanitizers , products , files , client record cards , business cards , furniture , insurance , rent , blah blah blah

So
When someone comes along saying the Treatment they get is great but expensive so they want to buy a kit & DIY and maybe start a
"little" business at it can you see why this may come across as totally patronizing ?

Maybe it's the Way you wrote it? Sometimes it can be hard to explain what we really mean ,

You mentioned doing some classes that would be a good place to start and here on salon geek most of us here respect education & you will get lots and lots of help with finding a course , grate products and alot of help with problems & support along the way .

But you won't find many people advising you where or how to do / get things when your completely un trained and trying to save & make a few £ by doing your own treatments .

:cool:hey lisa
new to gel nails as in youve got a course on the go??:biggrin:
most companies that are reputable wont supply the product untill you have your certificate to prove it, and im sure jessica wouldn be a problem when you have that to show, sounds like a good plan to me:biggrin:...

im in the industry of nails and beauty more than 7 years and i still find it very difficult to do my own nails it really is not as easy as it looks let me tell you, even with the paint on gels...lol:cool:

if however you havent got a qualification i suggest you get one somehow as youl be hooked in no time at all like us lot here and wil experiment more and more and more and you cannot start a business without one :wink2:

one will always do what mother told them not to, and if you have no qualifications and end up hurting yourself like i did...cant say i told you so tee he he youll be addicted in no time x
:wink2:

looks like i didnt read your post correctly, if your not qualified please do a course its the only way forward for you xx

@Mizzy_Dizzy, I take on board your comments but I think you misinterpreted my thread. I appreciate that the majority of the people on here are professionals (I gathered that from when I was reading previous posts) and this is exactly why I posted my thread on this forum!

I am really just wanting some advice not a lecture from pro's who can't appreciate that I have to start somewhere. I am going to start with a course so that i can have some respect for the complexity of this procedure and really wanted some advice on this as I can't seem to find many courses being offered in my area of Kent.

We all have to start somewhere as I'm sure you did so just advice please!!!

What are you wanting to learn Lisa gel polish? You may find you might have to travel for training. I live in Northampton and everytime I go on courses I have always traveled to Watford or places a little further away as nowhere local so aslong as you don't mind travelling call some reputable companies and they can tell you where you nearest educator is. Hope that helps like you said we all got to start somewhere and us pros are happy to help someone trying to get started in the business, just not people who think want to do a DIY job x

Latest posts

Back