Newbie help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare1894

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am doing a home learning course.. I no there is a lot of mixed feelings about this . so "Right or wrong" it suite my life style as i have 4 kids and work full time so college would not work for me. with the course i am doing i got everything i need to start off with in the price i paid but now i am starting to run out and need more supplies but they seem so expensive from the site i got the course from. So what i need to know is where do you all get your nail supplies from? and what do you recommend in ways of brand? also what not to use?? :confused: xx

Hi there,
I am doing a home learning course.. I no there is a lot of mixed feelings about this . so "Right or wrong" it suite my life style as i have 4 kids and work full time so college would not work for me. with the course i am doing i got everything i need to start off with in the price i paid but now i am starting to run out and need more supplies but they seem so expensive from the site i got the course from. So what i need to know is where do you all get your nail supplies from? and what do you recommend in ways of brand? also what not to use?? :confused: xx

If you don't want to pay a lot out, maybe have a look on eBay. That way it won't break the bank, but once qualified paying a bit more for clients would be better in the long run. You could look at Sweet squared, they are really good also look for NSI. I've used a few products from the edge and have no problems with them xx

I would say definitely Don't buy from Ebay, (no offense Leely), as you don't know for definite if the products you are getting are safe/genuine. It might help if you let us know what you've been using, is it mani/pedi products you're after or acrylic/gel/fibreglass? That way we can help you a bit better :)

Always purchase from a reputable distributor. There's that old saying, 'by cheap, buy twice', that I find true.

One thing you do not NEED is a tip cutter. Just use your regular nail cutter for taking down the length of a tip. HTH and best of luck! :)

i currently buy all my products from 'the edge' as im still training

None taken sam81  xx

Thank you all for that. i am learning to do L&P and i have got some stuff from Essential nails with my course and that all seems good but its very expensive off there site with the P&P. so i just use that for my practice on the nail trainer and i have bought my Owen stuff from eBay to do on friends and family. but the thing is the powder i got my not great it went like glue and did not give me much time to work with it till it went hard

its did not come with a label on it too. they sold it to me as nsi but i really dont think it is. having never used nsi i would not no but its so hard to do anything with.

I no you have to spend money to make money but i just think there has got to be some place that i can get my stuff that wont brake the bank lol.

but i have a big note to self now ( no eBay)

I agree with Sam.. Do not buy from eBay. You dont know what you are really getting.

So true that saying buy cheap buy twice.

Nail products, quality nail products are expensive but that's just how it is and if you want to work in the nail industry you have to get used to it.

I know your saying you want cheaper products to practice on family and friends but you love these people and imagine if something went wrong on these people that you love?? An allergic reaction or something? You'd be devastated.

When you practice you need to practice with the product that you want to use (in my opinion), as each product, although it does the same thing, really, they each have their own different consistencies and you need to get the "feel" for that particular product. I think so anyway. That's what is working for me.

I would get some trial packs from different companies and see which one you like the feel of. See which one has the consistancy you like, that you like the way it feels to file etc. Then go with that one.

Thank you all for that. i am learning to do L&P and i have got some stuff from Essential nails with my course and that all seems good but its very expensive off there site with the P&P. so i just use that for my practice on the nail trainer and i have bought my Owen stuff from eBay to do on friends and family. but the thing is the powder i got my not great it went like glue and did not give me much time to work with it till it went hard

its did not come with a label on it too. they sold it to me as nsi but i really dont think it is. having never used nsi i would not no but its so hard to do anything with.

I no you have to spend money to make money but i just think there has got to be some place that i can get my stuff that wont brake the bank lol.

but i have a big note to self now ( no eBay)

Www.flair.ie deliver to uk, www.capitalhairandbeauty.co.uk , www.sallysalonservices.com ... check these sites as well as others, do your research and you definitely find something that suits your budget :) DO NOT BUY PRO PRODUCTS FROM EBAY the only things i would buy from there would be rhinestones and other nail art stuff, disposables maybe (although ive not bought these from there).

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I agree with Sam.. Do not buy from eBay. You dont know what you are really getting.

So true that saying buy cheap buy twice.

Nail products, quality nail products are expensive but that's just how it is and if you want to work in the nail industry you have to get used to it.

I know your saying you want cheaper products to practice on family and friends but you love these people and imagine if something went wrong on these people that you love?? An allergic reaction or something? You'd be devastated.

When you practice you need to practice with the product that you want to use (in my opinion), as each product, although it does the same thing, really, they each have their own different consistencies and you need to get the "feel" for that particular product. I think so anyway. That's what is working for me.

I would get some trial packs from different companies and see which one you like the feel of. See which one has the consistancy you like, that you like the way it feels to file etc. Then go with that one.

I understand what you are saying, i just did not want to spend so much money when i am still a bit rubbish lol. I have now been and got some really nsi and i think its brill. my nails have got a lot better with just the change of produce. so u really do get what you pay for :). i will get a few samples of different ones tho so i can have a play about with them too.

i am so glad i asked you all now, thank you x

Www.flair.ie deliver to uk, www.capitalhairandbeauty.co.uk , www.sallysalonservices.com ... check these sites as well as others, do your research and you definitely find something that suits your budget :) DO NOT BUY PRO PRODUCTS FROM EBAY the only things i would buy from there would be rhinestones and other nail art stuff, disposables maybe (although ive not bought these from there).

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Thanks hun ill have a good look on there too. I have well and truly learnt my lesson about ebay. its just so tempting when u start out and u dont really know where to buy ur stuff from. I cant believe how many cheap knock off stuff is on there, and all with bids on them. they like me will be sorry :cry: x

If you don't buy a decent brand of product you will find your training even harder. A lot of the cheap stuff sets like concrete and you will have trouble filing and buffing into shape after application.

Have a look on Geekbay and see if anyone is selling off any stuff that they don't want. Lots of girls try stuff and move on to something else so have bits and pieces left. Your training hand wont mind and you might get a better quality of product. :green:

If you don't buy a decent brand of product you will find your training even harder. A lot of the cheap stuff sets like concrete and you will have trouble filing and buffing into shape after application.

Have a look on Geekbay and see if anyone is selling off any stuff that they don't want. Lots of girls try stuff and move on to something else so have bits and pieces left. Your training hand wont mind and you might get a better quality of product. :green:

It was very hard to work with, my friend is a nail tech and she come round and let me do her nails and she was really good. i was expecting her to be "do it this way, do it that way" but she just sat there and left me to it. them said right let me do urs an u watch. and she could not believe how unworkable the acrylic was. it set almost at once. then she told me to put it in the bin :lol:

I guess ill be able to find new produces at the beauty show in manchester too. and ill no what i am getting there :) x

Latest posts

Back