SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola67

Reaction score
hi, I just found out about this site today. is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on becoming a nail technician? (not another 1 I hear you sigh). I'm really keen to get into this line of work. I have been searching the net and also local directories for training courses, either college or private and have now got into a complete state of confusion......:confused:
I have found a couple that look ok, but would appreciate you opinions. www.e-nails.org are based in manchester and do a 2 day manicure & nail tech course using self levelling acrylic. have you heard of them or know anyone who has done the course. the others are LCN and creative which I know are very well known and also star nails. Although I was talking to a nail tech the other day who said she wouldn't take on anyone who had done a star nails course? why I don't know.
If you've got any advice you can give me I would be eternally grateful!!
x

i have been doing nails for a year now so im still new to the industry. I was vtct trained which is a good starting block, but it all seems to be an ongoing thing. Im currently using millennium which i have found not too crackin at all! and i trained with star nails at college and again not great. So now i am enrolling on the creative conversion course asap>

I have done a few training courses when I started out, and some were absolutely shameful ! Be really careful who you go with as there are a lot of sharks out there ready to take lots of your hard earned money.
The top training courses that I have attended, are easily the Creative courses. Quality products and training and excellent back-up both during AND after I had finished the course.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hi I trained with Star Nails, I thought it was good and really enjoyed it, and have gone back and done a few more courses with them. But I have'ent done any with anyone else so I can't compare! I am going to save up and do some training with Creative they do sound good, and I got them to send me a pack of their courses and they do look good. It does cost a lot of money for the traning and the kits, (plus all the other things you want!) but well worth it, since becoming a nail tech, (year and a half ago) I have'ent looked back! All the best Angie x

thanks for your advice......I am actually a little freaked out at the mo, as I have paid deposit for e-nails and have just spent last hour reading a forum with regards to their training school. Is there anyone out there who can calm me.....?:cry: It doesn't look good, but I would rather lose £85 than £200! It seems that there are so many different opinons on all the different training schools, how on earth do you know which one to choose? Price obviously is an important factor, but whose to say that the more expensive it is the better it is?
I need a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand and say "this is the 1"!!
HELP ME......................
x

Lola,

Put E-nails into the search facility on this site, that should help you out, how did you pay your deposit (can you cancel it) or make up some excuse and ask for a refund.

Claire x

lola67 said:
thanks for your advice......I am actually a little freaked out at the mo, as I have paid deposit for e-nails and have just spent last hour reading a forum with regards to their training school. Is there anyone out there who can calm me.....?:cry: It doesn't look good, but I would rather lose £85 than £200! It seems that there are so many different opinons on all the different training schools, how on earth do you know which one to choose? Price obviously is an important factor, but whose to say that the more expensive it is the better it is?
I need a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand and say "this is the 1"!!
HELP ME......................
x

do a search on the subject of training - you will find shed loads of info. Look at who wins the nai competitions and with what products...once you have trained, that isn't the end of it...you need a company with great customer back up and on-going training...
in my opinion i would go with Creative without a doubt but you must be comfortable with your decision so check out the search facility on here

thanks claire 1, i did the search for e-nails and its a huge debate that doesn't bode well.........i paid on credit card, so don't know whether i can get it back or not. maybe i'll just have to write it off. I'm glad I've found this site, so much experience and knowledge, I only wish I'd found it before I parted with my hard earned cash!

let us know which course you decide to go for (creative foundation i hope!) and let us know how it goes. you'll become addicted to this site - it is a wealth of information and so many people are willing to give their time and expertese for free.

hi guys, just to let you know that I have managed to get refund for the e-nails thing. So now I'm searching again........
So tech queens :D all advice appreciated. I'm actually based in Sussex so if theres any of you who have done courses in this area please let me know.
with thanks
x

I also did the Creative Four Day Foundation. It's hard work but in my opinion well worth the £500 it cost me to do the course. :)

I would definitely consider going to them if you can do xxx

thanks chele, I have been looking at the info for creative it does look really good. does it cover more than one system tho? The other one I've been looking at is star nails, they do a course in my area which is really handy, what do you think?
I see that your from manchester, have you heard of e-nails or elegante nails. if so do you think I did the right thing to cancel course? I'm still pondering..........

Lola,

You seem very concerned about dropping out of the e-nails course (dont worry about it) I think you will find Creative are very good, but you really have to follow your own heart on this one and do your research, its very unproffessional for Nail Technicians to rubbish any system, as lots of nail techs here use many different systems and what doesnt work for one, might work for another, unfortuneatly you will have to do lots of research, why dont you give Creative and Star nails a telephone call and compare what you will actually get from both of them. I hope you make the best decision for you.

Goodluck

Claire x

Hi - just my thoughts...!

I did UV acrylic training with Star Nails -and while my tutor was good and everything was professional - if I was to make the decision again, knowing what I know now (thanks geeks:cool: ) I would train with creative everytime! I am saving for the day when I can afford to re-train with creative products as the support, training and products just seem so much better than with a lot of other companies.

I'm basing this on what I've read on this site, which I suppose does have a strong creative influence;) - but that in itself proves to me how dedicated the creative team are to providing the best training/products to their tech's in training! Obviously you're better speaking to someone who is creative trained with regards to the specifics of the products/training, but to me, it seems like a massive bonus to be able to come onto this site any time and ask any number of silly little questions that are bugging you - and know that you'll have answers flying at you from people who are responsible for putting together the traing and products themselves! As well as all the tech's that use the products too!

I'm not suggesting that Creative products are 'the best' as I really don't know - and you'll see from this site that there's loads of brands that tech's all over the country (and world!) love! I suppose what I'm saying is... that if you're choosing between Star Nails and Creastive - my own opinion is that your pennies would be better spent with creative!

good luck with whatever you choose! sorry for the essay - but I really wish I'd found this site before I chose wihch company I was going to train with:o :biggrin:

Me to, l agree with Laura, wish l'd known about this site, l went with the first one l came across. Which was star nails, which was good and professional, but l might have chosen a different company had l known about the choice of training available. Angie xx

I think the prob with star nails is that any old Tom, Dick or Harry can go into Sally's and buy it off the shelf (at least with Capital they are trade only) and "teach" themselves which has devalued the brand. From what I can gather I don't think their training has the best reputation either - sorry if anyone has had their training and thought it good, it's only what I have heard, rather than fact based.

Creative is a very good brand, especially if you want to offer all 3 systems. I am an LCN user and have been for over 2 years, I was with Alessandro before that and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole (but that's another story). I can't rate LCN highly enough, very friendly (you feel like part of a family). They have excellent customer service, a great range of gels to suit every nail type, great training ........... the only downside is they are really expensive, but I let my clients know that I give them a good product which in turn gives them great nails.

Obviously they mst be close to you as they are in Sussex. If you decide to go with them I would recommend going on the Phasique Foundation Course (phasique is very similar to Brisa to apply) as it is self levelling. Sculpture is damned hard to master and I very rarely use it these days (it's also something like 50% more to buy per pot!!)

If you'd like any more info them feel free to pm me. Good luck in whatever you choose, at any rate I would choose Creative over Star Nails that's for sure.

I trained with star nails and have to say although the trainer(s) were professional whenever i try to get back help from their support line i get no joy and have to ask questions from other techies. Also from doing lots of reading i have found that i have big gaps in my knowledge which is expected if you do a short course. Try your local college where you can train part time and learn all three systems and get a recognised qualification as well as good training

I trained at college and knowing what i know now i wouldnt do it again! we changed tutor 3 times, 30 to a tutor, and i dont think we were shown all the ins and outs like prep thoroughly enough, although my course was for 20 weeks i still came away qualified but not feeling confident, we werent even shown rebalances! we did learn manicure, fibreglass and acrylic including pink and white, but i have definately learned more from this site than college! I know other people will probably have had good experiences of college and this is just my opinion, i am now booked on to creatives conversion course. I have never heard anyone say they didnt rate creative or EzFlow, that says a lot to me!

Latest posts

Back