Newly Qualified - quick question about files

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLass

Reaction score
Hi all,

Although qualified in acylics (L&P), I'm still at the 'practising' stage! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would mind telling me what grit files they use for what process?

I was taught (at a private academy) and this is what we were instructed to use:

natural nail shaping 240 grit
taking shine off tips and filing tip length 180 grit
shaping side walls and top of acrylic when applied 240 grit
white sanding block to 'finish'
3 way buffer

Now, the reason I am asking is....my application isn't too bad ie: not overly thick, however, I am having trouble with the shaping of side walls and acrylic with a 240 grit....it just seems to take forever with very little result. I'm being quite light with the file, as we were instructed, but the 240 doesn't seem to make any difference!! And its not like my application is so thick that that is the reason why it is not working very well.

I did my sisters nails yesterday and as I was finishing, noticed that one of the side walls was still a little uneven - I had a 180 to hand so worked with that and it seemed really effective! But, is this totally the wrong file to use for this process?
Also, there seem to be soooooo maby different colours/grit sanding blocks out there....what are they all for?! We were told to use a white block to finish off the acrylic after shaping, but were not told what grit it was.

I would really appreciate some guidance/info from you more experienced geeks!

Thanks v. much!

Hi, Welcome to the site

Always use a natural nail emery board on the natural nail.

On enhancements its:
240 grit for removing shine, not 180 its far too harsh
180 grit for side walls and shaping, then
240 grit for smoothing
then down to your buffer/s.

White blocks are not used generally because you are not able to sanitise them.

Which products were you trained with?

Edit: Should have said, this is what I do, other will be different, different Companies, teach different methods, this is the one I find works for me, and I believe should be used

Last edited:
There are different ideas about which grit you should use for each process depending on who you train with.

At EzFlow we use....

100 grit for shaping sidewall & free edge of enhancements
150 grit for contour filing
180 grit for continued contour filing
240/280 grit for removing fine lines and demarcations
snow monkey & miracle shine or pro-shiner (or 3 way buffer) for finishing.

I would use 150 for fe and sidewall shaping on gel and only a 180 then 240/280 for contour filing on gel.

I would use 180 on nat nail for shaping and removing shine lightly, not 'etching')

Other people will advise differently but this is what we teach. Hope that helps xx

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry, forgot to mention that bit, were were trained with Supernail acrylic...it seems ok, but then I haven't used anything else yet, so have nothing to compare it to!

Interesting about the sanitising of white blocks...we were told to spray them with sanitiser like all other files?!

So it seems a bit like I use the files the other way round to you and I was ok to use the 180 for shaping the side walls....

I'm doing my own on Sunday, so I will try the filing with the grits you use!

Hi, Welcome to the site

Always use a natural nail emery board on the natural nail.

On enhancements its:
240 grit for removing shine, not 180 its far too harsh
180 grit for side walls and shaping, then
240 grit for smoothing
then down to your buffer/s.

White blocks are not used generally because you are not able to sanitise them.

Which products were you trained with?

Edit: Should have said, this is what I do, other will be different, different Companies, teach different methods, this is the one I find works for me, and I believe should be used

You are totally right that different companies teach different things....as their files are all different!!
Personally I would NEVER use an emery board, as they IMHO they are too rough.
Yes SOME 180 grit files are too harsh for the natural nail...BUT EzFlow and indeed Nfu.Oh! 180 grit files are zebra files and have 2 different types of grit on them, making them effective but not too harsh, therefore can be used on a natural nail, to remove shine and shape.
As for the white block, yes I would never use it to remove shine from a natural nail, as it may absorb the oils from the nail plate and I cannot sanitise it properly, however I don't see anything wrong with using it to finish off an enhancement. Personally I would prefer a good quality abrasive but a white block would do.

There are different ideas about which grit you should use for each process depending on who you train with.

At EzFlow we use....

I would use 150 for fe and sidewall shaping on gel and only a 180 then 240/280 for contour filing on gel.

I would use 180 on nat nail for shaping and removing shine lightly, not 'etching')

Other people will advise differently but this is what we teach. Hope that helps xx

Again the EzFlow 180 grit file is a zebra file (check out the pattern on it) because it has both carbide and mylar particles on it, it is not as harsh as most 180 grits.

Again with most things in life, it is not what you use....it's the way that you use it!!!
;)

Oh and welcome to the site Royal lass....do I need to curtsey? lol :lol:

Lol..no, no need to curtsey! And thanks for the info....I never knew the difference between a zebra file and a 'normal' one....now I do!!

I guess my biggest problem has been with shaping and filing of the acrylic nail and as 'by accident' I found the 180 worked better, I wanted to make sure it wasn't completely the wrong file to use before I tried it again! I've always used the 240 grit for removing shine from natural nail so thats ok.

Thanks everyone :)

At EzFlow we use....

The grits are good hun regardless of the product x
As time goes on I find I can work with much less grit..as many techs may do. It's basically down to the application I guess. x

Latest posts

Back