Newly qualified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolapriestley

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was just wanting some advice please I'm qualifying from level 2 in May and I'm so confused as to what to do from here... I'm going on to do level 3 and barbering too but job wise I'm struggling I've rang and emailed loads of salons but people only seem to want people with experience and I've been advised it's not wise to go mobile or rent a chair been newly qualified I feel as though this past year of training as all been for nothing if I can't get a job in the hair industry after it.
Thanks in advance x

Maybe do a day at a salon unpaid for experience?
Experience is invaluable. Have you considered home/mobile?

I've offered some salons to do unpaid work and still no joy. Yes I've considered mobile but some people have advise against it as been newly qualified? x

Keep trying with voluntary work in salons, I know it's hard I had the same but there is some salons that will take you on for voluntary work, even if you are just watching them you learn so much from watching. I done voluntary work then ended up getting offered a job with the salon. Don't give up, good luck! Xx

I am trying with salons but also looking into going self employed as a mobile hairdresser too x

Can anyone else give me some advice please? x

I qualified as level 2 last april and I was already mobile beauty therapist so just added my hair treatments to my price list. I have a few hair clients who are all happy with my work. I do feel I would like a bit of experience in a salon just to boost my skills but I didn't let my lack of experience get me down or stop me. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you that's really helpful and I keep thinking that if I let people put me off by saying I need experience I'm never going to do it xx

Thank you that's really helpful and I keep thinking that if I let people put me off by saying I need experience I'm never going to do it xx

Believe it or not, but if your classmates from college are the ones advising you against going self employed perhaps you shouldn't listen to them because they could be jealous because you're thinking one step ahead.
Some schools advise you against going self employed with no salon experience because they don't want inexperienced hairdressers running a business and not knowing what they're doing because they don't want to damage their reputations, some teachers will encourage you, it's all about the college.
Only you can answer your own question and take your own advice because you're the one that knows your strengths and weaknesses, your abilities, the things you like doing and things you don't like doing, now this is what helps you make your own decision.
The questions are, are you capable of performing every service?
Are you confident in all of the services?
Do you think you're capable of running your own business? & capable of dealing with client complaints and bookings yourself.
You need to consider all of the above, if you feel like you don't want to do a certain service because you dislike doing it and etc you won't get that option being employed, you have to do everything whether you like it or not.
Being self employed means you get your own clients, meaning you only do the services you want to do, you work your own hours, deal with everything yourself and pay yourself.
Im giving you food for thought, you dont have to have salon experience to work for yourself but if you know that you need it than don't give up and get your self into unpaid work and hopefully that will lead to a full time job.
Whatever you decide to do goodluck :)

Thank you for that it's really helped me think about everything and I do feel confident in every aspect of hairdressing so I think I'm going to give it a go and fingers crossed il end up with a good client base xx

The only salon experience I have is from my level 3. But I am now self employed doing hair nails and make up! It's hard work getting started and set up costs but I love it and wouldn't change it for the world!

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I'm also struggling with what to do I'm due to qualify aswrll in May and doing level 3 in Sept but all salons want experience :( o ly options r to rent a chair but I'm not sure that's a great idea as I'm.not that confident :(

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I was the same as you at first with confidence but I started doing friends and families hair and then had an harsh word with myself and said well why have I gone through this training to not actually have clients?! I just thought I've passed all my assessments that I need so why not just go for it x

Another thing you could do is go on a few courses if you have the funds to. the good thing i find about being in a salon is learning new things from other stylists, so being mobile if you do some different course you may learn some different techniques then you did in college. Also if youve done friends and families hair and a few clients take piccys of before and after to advertise yourself to possible clients. I hope it all goes well for you best of luck :)

Hi Nicola
Where are you based?
Sarah

Latest posts

Back